PDA

View Full Version : Lee Loadmaster recommended spare parts?

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
11-11-2015, 07:31 AM
Well, I've got to order a large primer feed for this press I've now got. I'm thinking I should order some small part spares of things that fail over time to keep on hand. Can other Loadmaster owners chime in with their recommendations of what they'd keep on hand?

I don't care how big or small the spare is, just like to keep such stuff on hand. I don't care for downtime waiting for a part I should have in a small parts bin in my reloading cabinet.

Merc67
11-17-2015, 10:17 AM
I have had my loadmaster for 13 years or so and I haven't had to repair it yet. I have mutiple turrets and shell plates and that's about it. I do think extra primer stations are a good idea. I haven't used them as I has trouble with them from the get-go. I learned early to hand prime with this press. Other wise it has been trouble free.

matrixcs
11-17-2015, 10:25 AM
Swivel adapter makes it easier to change calibers without resetting the powder thru expander each time.

https://fsreloading.com/images/P/p-3229.jpg

I gave up on the primeing and hand prime also....your mileage may vary , my friend has no problems with primeing on the press...

fryboy
11-17-2015, 10:38 AM
primer sliders - especially if you have the old style of primer feed

seriously ,i bought a basket case years ago , i bought some spare parts , so far i've only used the case feed tubes and a chain connector ( any lamp chain connector will work honestly ) and that was my fault
i did replace the index flipper when i was putting the press into operation as well as the index rod but other than that .... ( do those even count in this case ? lolz )

RobS
11-17-2015, 10:52 AM
There are no longer any older style primer sliders direct from Lee however there may be some places that still sell them online. I purchased the new primer system and they are an improvement. I would suggest the flipper and indexer rod, an extra chain, and then an extra primer system in small and large primer.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
11-20-2015, 10:07 AM
Thank you Gentlemen,

It appears the Loadmaster parts are more durable than their reputation would lead one to believe.

Best Regards,

Dave

Garyshome
11-20-2015, 10:09 AM
Dillon 550

RobS
11-20-2015, 10:17 AM
Dillon 550

Yeah that helps the original poster.

sparky45
11-20-2015, 10:22 AM
I have two LLM's and the only parts I have ordered (from Lee) , and this doesn't actually pertain to the LLM, is extra de-capping pins for my Universal decap die. I gave up on priming on the LLM because of the problems I encountered with the press. Now, with the mods worked out by "Magic Mike" (you can see his stuff @ his website) priming problems have all but been eliminated.
BTW, extra Turrets for the dies will save lots of time and eliminate having to re-calibrate Die settings.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
11-21-2015, 02:19 PM
Dillon 550

Had one of those turret presses pretending to be a progressive. Hated it, worst purchase I ever made. For someone to even mention one in this thread points directly to the level of ignorance they have related to the current state of reloading equipment knowledge and the lack of respect they have for other reloaders.

Such posters probably buy Prius vehicles as well.

Blanco
11-21-2015, 02:43 PM
Primer seating pin & spring
De-cap pins (universal)
Indexer bar and flipper
crank slider assembly

I use my Loadmasters A LOT and I have replaced the above parts on occasion. There were other parts but they broke because of my ignorance or heavy handed abuse. I do keep at least one or two of each on that list as a just in case and the are cheap.

zomby woof
11-22-2015, 06:38 PM
I've been loading on one for 25 years. With the new primer system, no spares are needed for this new system. The old ones needed spares as noted above. Unless you make a you make a big mistake (i've made them) I can't see keeping any spares. You can get any replacement in a week anyways. Good luck, have fun. You can make lots of great ammo.

flyingmonkey35
11-22-2015, 06:57 PM
There are no longer any older style primer sliders direct from Lee however there may be some places that still sell them online. I purchased the new primer system and they are an improvement. I would suggest the flipper and indexer rod, an extra chain, and then an extra primer system in small and large primer.
Why are u using a chain? Unless you heave the bullet seater

A 50cent spring fixed it for me.

Decaping pins.

Primer seating pin & spring
De-cap pins (universal)
Indexer bar and flipper
crank slider assembly

I use my Loadmasters A LOT and I have replaced the above parts on occasion. There were other parts but they broke because of my ignorance or heavy handed abuse. I do keep at least one or two of each on that list as a just in case and the are cheap.

I've been loading on one for 25 years. With the new primer system, no spares are needed for this new system. The old ones needed spares as noted above. Unless you make a you make a big mistake (i've made them) I can't see keeping any spares. You can get any replacement in a week anyways. Good luck, have fun. You can make lots of great ammo.

1bluehorse
11-22-2015, 11:56 PM
Spares for both primer setups. Couple index "flippers". If you use the case feeder then I'd want an extra case slider (large and small) couple crank sliders, shell plate nut with a couple extra O rings (these things can just disappear for no reason) and a case ejector. Couple extra primer sliders probably wouldn't hurt anything either. That's probably 50 bucks worth of stuff and that's mostly for the primer units.

kd185
11-23-2015, 06:09 AM
primer sliders - especially if you have the old style of primer feed

this x2

RobS
11-23-2015, 10:13 AM
Why are u using a chain? Unless you heave the bullet seater

A 50cent spring fixed it for me.

Decaping pins.

I think I'll try that.

rancher5
11-23-2015, 12:16 PM
Having finished loading 14,000 9mm using LM ,May-Oct ,yes I prime on the press, a layer of tape on backside of primer feeder fixed 99% of errors ,I' m extremely happy with my Loadmaster,I do keep several squirrel daddy universal decapping pins on hand, as I tend to break one once in awhile, Thanks for the spare parts list, I just can't deal with my LoadMaster being down,as a reloading junkie, so far it gets better,understanding all aspects of LM keeps me paying attention making flawless ammo.

flyingmonkey35
11-23-2015, 12:21 PM
Having finished loading 14,000 9mm using LM ,May-Oct ,yes I prime on the press, a layer of tape on backside of primer feeder fixed 99% of errors ,I' m extremely happy with my Loadmaster,I do keep several squirrel daddy universal decapping pins on hand, as I tend to break one once in awhile, Thanks for the spare parts list, I just can't deal with my LoadMaster being down,as a reloading junkie, so far it gets better,understanding all aspects of LM keeps me paying attention making flawless ammo.
Dam. That's a lot o Boolits

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
11-23-2015, 12:33 PM
I think I'll try that.

If you're willing to drill a hole through the press frame, you can add that spring to a eye bolt mountd at on the back half the price just to the left of the primer rocker activation bolt. Another alternative is to get a 1/4" inch longer primer bolt and tie it off above the locking nut.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
11-23-2015, 12:34 PM

You might want to check out mikesreloadingbench.com My understanding is his mods get the priming system pretty close to 100% and eliminates the major downfall of most progressives, the priming system.

rancher5
11-23-2015, 01:27 PM
Dam. That's a lot o Boolits
UnfortunatelyI have a 450yd range literally out my front door , makes it extremly hard not to shoot,lol, Thanks,a view out my front door wind storm a couple of days before knocked down my IPSC targets, http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/11/23/725b61f922b65c7b7cc2eddcb6037b65.jpg

rancher5
11-23-2015, 01:28 PM
You might want to check out mikesreloadingbench.com My understanding is his mods get the priming system pretty close to 100% and eliminates the major downfall of most progressives, the priming system.
Thanks for the info, yes 100% would be great, TY

zomby woof
11-23-2015, 07:55 PM
Why are u using a chain? A 50cent spring fixed it for me. FYI The spring is not intended for the LM. You need to be very careful. It is very easy to double charge the power. Having said that, I have a spring on mine.

RobS
12-06-2015, 12:29 PM
If you're willing to drill a hole through the press frame, you can add that spring to a eye bolt mountd at on the back half the price just to the left of the primer rocker activation bolt. Another alternative is to get a 1/4" inch longer primer bolt and tie it off above the locking nut.

I went with an extra large diameter 1/4 fender washer with an 1/8" hole drilled near the very edge. Placed between the locking nut and the press of the primer arm bolt and things line up in a straight line. Pretty easy and no drilling to the press.

http://i612.photobucket.com/albums/tt206/RobS01/20151205_173742_zpsx9nia5p4.jpg (http://s612.photobucket.com/user/RobS01/media/20151205_173742_zpsx9nia5p4.jpg.html)

http://i612.photobucket.com/albums/tt206/RobS01/20151205_173815_zpsc2lqwsaa.jpg (http://s612.photobucket.com/user/RobS01/media/20151205_173815_zpsc2lqwsaa.jpg.html)

rancher5
12-06-2015, 12:36 PM
I went with an extra large diameter 1/4 fender washer with an 1/8" hole drilled near the very edge. Placed between the locking nut and the press of the primer arm bolt and things line up in a straight line. Pretty easy and no drilling to the press.

http://i612.photobucket.com/albums/tt206/RobS01/20151205_173742_zpsx9nia5p4.jpg (http://s612.photobucket.com/user/RobS01/media/20151205_173742_zpsx9nia5p4.jpg.html)

http://i612.photobucket.com/albums/tt206/RobS01/20151205_173815_zpsc2lqwsaa.jpg (http://s612.photobucket.com/user/RobS01/media/20151205_173815_zpsc2lqwsaa.jpg.html)
Great idea,I have very good use of my Load master Was going to call it luck ,tho there's no luck about,u just learn to use it,watch what's going on everything works,yes of course there's a few primer mishaps, not enough to prime separately, that would defeat the purpose of a progressive

jmorris
12-06-2015, 04:48 PM
Does anyone have photos (maybe even a side by side) showing the difference between the two different styles of primer slides, they could post?

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
12-07-2015, 05:39 PM
Does anyone have photos (maybe even a side by side) showing the difference between the two different styles of primer slides, they could post?

Ranch Dog did a great job of explaining everything in this post, with excellent pics:
http://www.lee-loader.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1000

What he does not show is Magic Mike's design of Mike's Reloading Bench, which I have just received. After examining the Lee designs and Mike's modifications, I must say his design is a superior design and includes several mods to the carrier and other parts to fully utilize the improved design. Even without operating it, I can see where his design eliminates several issues and moves the Lee press from a "so-so" press to a reliable ammo manufacturing machine.

I'm in the process, almost done, of coming up with an improvement to the case feeder to handle rifle cases. The original design was for pistol cases, not rifle and is a bit short. But I've come up with some simple, inexpensive mods to stabilize the tall rifle cases from the drop point until they're installed on the shell plate. I'm building the "Beta" version today and should be testing in the next few. If the design is successful, the case feeder would be worthy of building a motorized case collator for it, thereby totally changing the game of a low end progressive.

jmorris
12-08-2015, 10:51 AM
Thanks for the link, that is what I was looking for.

After examining the Lee designs and Mike's modifications

Do you have any photos of the modifications?

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
12-08-2015, 10:33 PM
Thanks for the link, that is what I was looking for.

Do you have any photos of the modifications?

I do not, but plan on posting them when I post a thread on the fully modified Loadmaster with "all the trimmings."