PDA

View Full Version : question on barrel thickness and strength

johnson1942
11-10-2015, 08:15 PM
i aquired a cva opitma pistol 50 cal with a 13 and 1/2 inch barrel. recoil is way to much with any load. really like the design and have just finished a skeleton full stock for it. my plans in the near future is to install a 30 inch 40 cal barrel liner in the 13 and 1/2 inch barrel. 1/16 twist and shoot a 360 grain paperpatched bullet out of this converted to rifle hand gun. i dont want to deal with the law with a stock on a 13 and 1/2 inch barrel gun. the barrel of the gun is 1 inch at the breech and tapers to 3/4 inch at the muzzle. now here is what i need to know. is the 5/8 thick 40 cal barrel liner safe to shoot as around 17 inches of the barrel will be 5/8 diam. or do i have to make a sleeve of about 3/4 inch out side diam to slip over the exposed 17 inches of barrel liner. again the bullet will be a 360 grain pp bullet with about 70 grains of black powder behind the bullet. i want to do some target shooting to 500 yards and really expect this gun to preform. i will sleeve the last part if i have to but if not needed i wont. want to be safe. my original plans is to cryo the barrel liner before i install it so less barrel whip. lots of stress in a hammerforged barrel liner and the cryo treatment will take care of that. then to furthur reduce barrel muzzle whip i planned to put thick rubber o rings over the exposed barrel liner and then wrap with camo rubberized tape. any input as to the safety of a 5/8 40 cal barrel line expose after 13 and 1/2 inches is greatly appreciated

M-Tecs
11-10-2015, 08:38 PM
i i dont want to deal with the law with a stock on a 13 and 1/2 inch barrel gun.

Shoulder stocks on muzzleloading pistols and revolvers are 100% legal.

oldracer
11-11-2015, 01:16 AM
Wow Roger, we have a lady that shoots a 69 caliber French pistol in our muzzle loading matches and can hit the steel at 50 yards pretty regular! What load are you using and if it were me I would just get another barrel and not try to line the existing one or else leave the gun as is and keep the add on stock as a conversation starter. There are no issues anywhere in the country with muzzle loaders and stock additions, etc.

johnson1942
11-11-2015, 01:11 PM
you guys convinced me, im going to shoot it with the pistol barrel and my shoulder stock. i also have a nice 9 power scope on it. it really feels good as a off hand gun and is very steady when sighting it in. i have fired it twice and it is very very hard to load with a sabot and wont even take a bore rider bullet that i had bought. they are very similar to the power belts. the bore must be a couple of thousands under size. i have a .448 swageing die and im going out to the shop and swage up some of those in about 335 grain and shoot those. they should go down easy. also going to look at my collection of reduceing dies as see what i have. a .451 bullet in a sabot is just too tight. are all cva barrels under sized? i cant slug it as i dont know how to find what the diam is but i would guess about .498. their is a key here and i will find it.