PDA

View Full Version : Should I proof barrel

fabil12
11-10-2015, 04:01 PM
I just bought a longrifle project gun on GB.
The barrel has never been fired. Looks like an unfinished kit gun.
Its 45 cal., 15/16" across the flats, 39" long. No makers marks.
The bore is shiny and beautiful.
Its really quite a nice looking chunk of iron.
Do you guys all proof your barrels and if so, how?
Thanks
Bill Larson

waksupi
11-10-2015, 04:34 PM
The standard way is two charges of powder, two patched round balls.
I don't test anymore. After the tests done by the old Sharon Rifle Co., I don't see much need. As long as a ball is seated properly, they should be fine. The only way they were able to do damage was by separating the ball from the charge, resulting in bulged barrels. I don't recall if they ever managed destruction. I seem to recall they went up to 1700 gr. powder, and 17 patched round balls, with no problem. They also wrapped a cardboard tube with a layer of duct tape, put a butt load of powder and a projectile in, and touched it off. didn't blow up.
I think the time to test is if you get hold of an antique gun you want to shoot, as many were forge welded, and internal corrosion over the years may have weakened them.

FrontierMuzzleloading
11-10-2015, 06:05 PM
no need to IMO.

varsity07840
11-10-2015, 06:12 PM
Since the rifle was started by another individual, you may want to check the depth of the dovetails.

Omnivore
11-10-2015, 09:17 PM
You don't say whether it has a breech plug installed, or who made it. I proofed my project rifle, and as far as I was concerned I was proofing the patent snail breech I'd installed myself. There's not much reason to avoid proofing it-- It's easy enough to do. I'd be satisfied with double the max charge I planned to use under a standard projectile, so if it's a ball twist, a double charge and a tightly patched ball. Depends on what you're comfortable with I guess.

oldracer
11-10-2015, 10:00 PM
With modern steel used by companies today, no proofing is necessary. You can clean the barrel well and make sure there is a metalic sound when the cleaning rod hits the bottom. If you are worried, at the range you use, load up what you would shoot and sit the rifle in a Lead Sled to keep your head away from the breech area. If anything is to go wrong, generally it is the powder barrel or nipple area and they fly off to the side.