PDA

View Full Version : RCBS 9mm 147

warboar_21
11-10-2015, 03:49 PM
Is anyone shooting the RCBS 147 gr fp in their 357 Sig? I just picked up a Sig P229 and a set of dies. I had some brass from an earlier adventure with a drop in barrel for my glock 23. Never could get it to feed so I shelved the barrel and caliber. This new (to me) 229 has me wanting to play again.

I really like the looks of the boolit and am wanting to buy the mold but am unsure if it will work from the 357 Sig case or not. My only 9mm is a Sig P290 which is a compact and is one of my carry guns. It favors 124gr or lighter so I'm not sure I'd shoot the heavier boolit from it or not.

For now I bought some xtp 124gr locally since it's the only profile that would work. I had some 124gr berry's but the round nose profile doesn't work. I have the Lee 356 124r for my 9mm but again it didn't seem to work with the Sig round.

Thoughts or suggestions are welcomed.

warboar_21
11-11-2015, 09:50 PM
Wow I figured at least one person has or has had experience with this round or mold.

dragonrider
11-11-2015, 11:31 PM
I used to have that mold, I may still have it but I never found it to be particularly useful. While few nine mm's are really accurate and mine are certainly no exception, I found this boolit to be even less so when compared to some 124/130's that I have used. I find that speed is more helpful to me than a longer/heavier boolit that takes up more space in the case. Also I seem to remember that it is a bevel base design and I was using a Lyman 450 at the time and lubing was a problem. It also cast a boolit that was about 10 grains heavier using wheel weight alloy. I solved that by milling off the bevel that also solved the lubing problem.

Eddy Stone
11-12-2015, 11:49 AM
Is anyone shooting the RCBS 147 gr fp in their 357 Sig? I just picked up a Sig P229 and a set of dies. I had some brass from an earlier adventure with a drop in barrel for my glock 23. Never could get it to feed so I shelved the barrel and caliber. This new (to me) 229 has me wanting to play again.

I really like the looks of the boolit and am wanting to buy the mold but am unsure if it will work from the 357 Sig case or not. My only 9mm is a Sig P290 which is a compact and is one of my carry guns. It favors 124gr or lighter so I'm not sure I'd shoot the heavier boolit from it or not.

For now I bought some xtp 124gr locally since it's the only profile that would work. I had some 124gr berry's but the round nose profile doesn't work. I have the Lee 356 124r for my 9mm but again it didn't seem to work with the Sig round.

Thoughts or suggestions are welcomed.

I have this mold and love it in 9mm. It drops out at 155 gr. with the alloy I use. Great subsonic boolit in my Glock 19 with silencer. Don't scare the horses anyone!

warboar_21
11-12-2015, 12:02 PM
Thank you both.

I'm not sure what the best choice for the Sig would be. I don't see myself using the gun for anything more than plinking with the cast boolits.
With the beveled base I wonder how well it would do with powder coating.

Weighing 155gr or there abouts might be a bit much for the little Sig case to handle. Maybe I'll have to look for a different mold.