PDA

View Full Version : Peitta 1858 remington

meister mash
11-10-2015, 02:08 PM
Friends, bought a used Peitta 1858 Remington stainless 44 capnball.
Actually has been years ago.
I didn't get around to looking it over until recently, I needed to replace the nipples.
I should look and see whom I bought it from and send them a nasty gram.
It shot a foot to the right. So I figured to dovetail a front sight on there because a fixed sighted revolver.
I removed the barrel faced it off and cleaned up the forcing cone. Dovetailed and fabricated new front sight.
And I discovered why it shot to the right........................... :?
The bore is terribly offset to the outside of the barrel. :-|
I did shoot it yesterday and it spits, however it didn't shoot badly and my front site did the trick other than it is too high.
But so I emailed Peitta telling of these problems. It looks like they may send me a new barrel. :bigsmyl2:
I am not holding my breath on getting the barrel but that sure would be nice if they do.
http://i625.photobucket.com/albums/tt333/meistermash/20151102_222025_zpshascf1md.jpg
http://i625.photobucket.com/albums/tt333/meistermash/20151102_214604_zpslvbissxg.jpg

Der Gebirgsjager
11-10-2015, 05:56 PM
We'll "stay tuned for further developments". Can't tell that it's offset from the photos. It will be nice if they send you a barrel. Some companies insist on having the gun if a re-barreling job is in order.

meister mash
11-11-2015, 02:07 AM
If it was shot a bit more straight on you would see it better.
Where I really could tell was when I unscrewed it from the frame and used my forcing cone cutter on the lathe to deepen that.
I had intended on using a conversion cylinder in it and I wanted a bit better cone.
My other 1858, also a Peitta, shoots like a house afire with a 45 colt conversion cylinder. It is an adjustable site version.

MaryB
11-12-2015, 12:03 AM
Offset to the left in that picture to my eye... not a huge amount though!

John Taylor
11-12-2015, 11:23 AM
Nice work. Been there, done that. One of the main problems I find with these inports is the barrel groove diameter is usually bigger than the cylinder bore. I have reamed more than a few cylinders out to take a ball that will fill the barrel bore/groove better.

Wayne Smith
11-13-2015, 08:52 AM
Years ago I found Pietta very responsive to problems with one of their guns. I hope they still are.

meister mash
11-15-2015, 12:18 PM
Ahh well I haven't heard back by email after sending my addy to whom ever I was conversing with.
I didn't specify any lenth figuring if they send me a short one I can mod the rammer or a long one cut shorter.
The threads. I doubt I can duplicate them If I go to rebarreling it. It is a safe bet that they are metric and I bairly can cut standard threads.
And it would have to be a round barrel.

Kilroy08
11-19-2015, 05:40 PM
Threading isn't too bad. Just make sure to grab a piece of scrap material to practice on first. Metric and Standard are both 60 degree threads. The procedure is the same. The big catch is whether or not your lathe has the gearing for metric threads.

I would imagine that a replacement barrel would already be threaded.

Tar Heel
11-19-2015, 08:27 PM
Pietta is famous for getting the barrels off TDC by about 5 degrees. Check the flats and see if yours is off. You may see if the front sight was off TDC. That seems to be the most common issue with shooting R or L by a few feet.

meister mash
12-17-2015, 09:05 PM
Update.
Was in getting a package of magpul goodness when a rather odd stuffed envelope with Italian postage stamps made it's way into my hands.
I didn't think Peitta was going to send me a barrel as the last email was a fellow telling me it was impossible that it was all cosmetic and I was going to get around to taking pics and measurments and send that back to him.
But it's a new stainless barrel. :D
So I guess here it is.
http://i625.photobucket.com/albums/tt333/meistermash/20151217_170801_zpsc0zoptss.jpg
The various postal conduits loved this envelope tenderly.
I will have to turn off a couple of threads at the forcing cone where it is damaged by a fall or hard bump. Sent back warm thank you reply for the barrel.
http://i625.photobucket.com/albums/tt333/meistermash/20151217_175953_zpswa6jbish.jpg

fg-machine
12-18-2015, 02:51 AM
I wouldn't rush to turn the damaged threads off myself .

Before I did anything that drastic I would grind myself a small punch with a basic thread form
And spend a couple hours carefully peening the threads back in place the best I could .
And then carefully cleaning them back up with a small triangular file or a thread file
And then once the threads are repaired square the face of the barrel up again

I have saved threads that looked way worse then what I can see in the pic .
And if I can do it ... you can to

meister mash
12-18-2015, 08:53 AM
Maybe you are thinking I was talking about shortning the whole thing until that dinged up section was gone?
Well that isn't going to happen.
I'm going to chuck it in the lathe and clean those three threads off the diameter.
Those threads are visible while the barrel is installed and serve little purpose anyway.
If I was going to fix it with out lathing off the damaged portion, I would file a flat there.