PDA

View Full Version : Lyman 55 questions

Boolit_Head
11-10-2015, 12:22 PM
I just picked up a old Lyman 55. Wondered why it felt funny till I figured out the previous owner had pit the slide in from the wrong side. I only have one drop tube so I am trying to figure out if it's the small or large size. Any one for a way to measure to tell? Seems like the inside diameter is about .295 so I am guessing it is the large tube and I am looking for a small tube.

It's got the threaded reservoir that is dark but in good condition so I am also looking for any hints to clean that plastic of it's dark stains.

Char-Gar
11-10-2015, 02:05 PM
You in fact have the large drop tube and consider yourself lucky as the small tubes are an abomination. They can constrict the powder drop. If you have a small case, just use a power funnel on top of the case mouth.

If the stuff inside the powder reservoir is black or gray it is powder residue and can be cleaned out by hot soap and water. It the reservoir is a yellow-orange color the plastic material is discolored and that won't wash out. That is what happens when people leave the powder in the measure. A rubbing of the inside with some metal polish like Flitz or Mother's Mag, will lighten and brighten it quite a bit, but it will never be without some yellow-orange again.

Lyman changed the material in these powder reservoirs and the newer ones don't discolor, but they can get dirty. I keep a small paint brush and brush out powder residue on the inside after I am through. That keep everything in apple pie order.

The Lyman 55 is a very good measure and I have eight of them in use.

From time to time most powder measures need a good cleaning. Scrub the moving parts with 0000 steel (dry with no oil) wood to remove any powder residue. Lubricate the moving parts with a little fine graphite powder and reassemble.

Boolit_Head
11-10-2015, 02:16 PM
Some one decided it was a good idea to soak the inside with a lot of oil. I assume it was stuck at one point. I've got to disassemble the powder bars and clean them up good. there is some staining on the brass as well but that is easy enough to cleanup with some brasso. Seen anything on disassembling the measuring bars? I hear there is a pin to watch out for?

I was afraid of that about the drop tubes as I planned on doing a lot of 223 so a powder funnel would be a pain. Most of the funnels I have just slip over the neck of a sized 223 so you have to be careful using them.

gwpercle
11-10-2015, 08:26 PM
If I remember right, the smallest brass bar has the pin that goes into a slot for the adjustment knob to work. I have an older model and the pin was fixed in the slide , it did not fall out, but the newer ones may be different. Just look for it and watch that it doesn't get "lost".
Lyman still catalogs replacement parts and most should work with the older units. They show the small drop tube
Tip on setting it, set the slides so you have a narrow deep cavity, it works better than a shallow wide cavity. For instance if I want to throw 5.2 grains . I try and get a deep cavity ,with all three slides lined up flush as near my target charge , say I can get 5.0 grains with all three flush. Then use the narrow slide, with the screw adjustment, back out the slide to get the final 0.2 grains for a total of 5.2 grains . Moving all three slides out together is hard to get a small increment, but by using this method you can get accurate dropped charges.
Hope this is a help.
Gary

j4570
11-11-2015, 07:36 AM
The 55 is a great measure. My dad gave me his when I started reloading (he had a uniflow too). Most people don't understand it and Gary did a good job explaining how to adjust it right. I wouldn't worry about the discoloration too much, just clean it. It was the only measure I had that threw the tiny charges for 32 S&W wadcutters when I used to load them. I wouldn't go overboard cleaning the charge bars, just get them clean to slide and work. I've only ever had one tube I think......I'd have to check.

Char-Gar
11-11-2015, 11:38 AM
Some one decided it was a good idea to soak the inside with a lot of oil. I assume it was stuck at one point. I've got to disassemble the powder bars and clean them up good. there is some staining on the brass as well but that is easy enough to cleanup with some brasso. Seen anything on disassembling the measuring bars? I hear there is a pin to watch out for?

I was afraid of that about the drop tubes as I planned on doing a lot of 223 so a powder funnel would be a pain. Most of the funnels I have just slip over the neck of a sized 223 so you have to be careful using them.

Remove the oil with rubbing alcohol. Do not use Brasso to polish the brass parts, burnish them clean and bright with 0000 steel wool. There is a pin on the bottom of the top slide that fits into the recess of the slide underneath it so the adjustment screw can work. The early 55 without the adjusting screws do not have this pin.

By a proper fitting funnel or a small drop tube...your choice. Depending on the type of powder you use, the small tubes can induce bridging of the powder charge. This won't be a problem with most ball powders. As far as a funnel being a bother to use, if you are that easily bothered, buy factory ammo.

Uniform charges are greatly enhanced with a powder weight. These things are sold by some guy on Ebay. I have one and move it from one 55 measure to another. I use my measures for Bulleye, Unique, AA5 and 2400 with with this weight, I can't detect any charge to charge variance in thrown powder charges. Here is a pic of the weight in action.

Boolit_Head
11-11-2015, 07:40 PM
I saw the weights and was wondering if they were gimmicky or good. So they make the throws more uniform, how much do they weigh? I've got a buddy with a mill who might be able to make me some, Thanks.

Mike Kerr
11-17-2015, 12:25 AM
Those 55s are good powder measures once you get the hang of the adjustment technique.