PDA

View Full Version : SPR18 Remington

augercreek
11-10-2015, 08:05 AM
Anyone here shooting a SPR18 Remington? I have one in 06 calibre and it really likes cast boolits of all weights. I have just this past week cast some Lee311-100s and am anxious to try them out. Does any one else have one of these in other calibres? I'd like to have a couple of interchangeable barrels of different calibres as this rifle is fun to shoot. They are not the nicest looking single shot rifles and could use some better wood work on them but at least the wood can be redone.

Jedman
11-10-2015, 08:41 AM
I have one in 308 win. I have hunted with it using Barnes 130 TSX bullets and taken a half a dozen antelope with it. I tried some 100 gr. .310 dia. cast over 6 grs. of Nitro 100 shotgun powder and it shot 1" at 50 yards , a nice light pest load.
I bought a 410 shotgun barrel off of Gunbroker a couple of years ago that required a little fitting to make it fit the SPR 18 frame, I just recently stubbed a 45 Colt barrel on the 410 and gave it to a close friend for a retirement gift. He is not a handloader so I need to get it back to find a load it likes, Here in OH we can now use some strait walled cartridges in rifles and the 45 Colt will be legal for deer gun season.
My friend that I gave the barrel to has a Baikal rifle in 7 x 57 R that the barrel is fit to.

Jedman

Ben
11-10-2015, 08:45 AM
I've never had a concern about what the wood looks like, my concern with every one of them I've picked up is the horrible triggers in the rifles.

Ben

Jeff Michel
11-10-2015, 01:04 PM
Ben's right, the triggers are pretty nasty. I have a number of them and they all responded well to a trigger job. The trigger is a flat spring that you can adjust a bit by flexing. The rest is smoothing with India stones and patience. They are decent cast shooters, chrome lined bores that seem to a bit rough and may contribute to slight leading, but nothing bad. Good utility/truck gun, build like a safe.

rockrat
11-15-2015, 12:03 AM
Have one of the 7.62x39 guns, but haven't shot any cast thru it yet