PDA

View Full Version : Brotherhood of the Colored Boolit.........Don't forget it!!!!!!

bangerjim
11-09-2015, 08:31 PM
There are 93 members of the community group. We need to start getting more active!

Don't forget the group is there! Check in and participate. We all have info to share and ask. Let's help each other out!

Comments and participation are welcome.

bangerjim - mod of the BOTCB

runfiverun
11-09-2015, 09:41 PM
well Jim you've had 16 lookers now.

nagantguy
11-09-2015, 09:49 PM
This is news to me, I think I have a pretty good technique, happy with the results , look good shoot good. Can I come and play? Where do I find the BOCB?

bangerjim
11-09-2015, 10:22 PM
This is news to me, I think I have a pretty good technique, happy with the results , look good shoot good. Can I come and play? Where do I find the BOCB?

Click on "communities" in the bar at the top under the ads, find the group, and request to join.

(and send me $10) JUST KIDDING!

banger

runfiverun
11-09-2015, 10:55 PM
yep you send it to me so I can buy stuff to,,, oh wait this ain't the telethon.

Spector
11-09-2015, 11:34 PM
Banger, you really don't like clear PC do you. grin

I was almost ready to order some colored PC from Smoke, but decided to give the clear one more chance. I was having problems with PC deposits left in the barrel that were very stubborn to remove both in a Springfield XDS and a Glock 41 with a KKM barrel. So I cast a hundred 215 grain RF boolits from my modified Lee mold and 250 of the 230 grain TC Lee TL boolit.

I lapped out the new .452 Lee sizing die until it actually sized to .452. I water dropped these boolits right from the mold like I used to always do. One thin coat of Smoke's clear made them look like little powdered sugar delights and then they glossed clear. These I baked hotter at 425 and longer, 15 minutes. I thought about water dropping them again out of the oven, but decided against it.

Back through the sizer again and then loaded both with boolits over 5.6 gr. of W231 powder.

Still learning to use my Crimson Trace green laser, but each boolit gave me 5'' 10 shot groups at 25 yards out of my little Springfield XDS. Nothing to brag about accuracy wise, but I'm happy with it for leaving both eyes open and putting the green dot in the middle of the paper plate. It's a new way of shooting for me that's for sure, but for a man who has cataracts and doesn't shoot nearly enough anymore I am satisfied at this point.

The best part is that the barrel cleaned up very easily this time after 100 rounds fired.

The clear just goes on so easy shaking them in ASBB's. And the powdered sugar look is easy to see and next time I am going for an even thinner coat. I may break down and go for some color later, but right now I am more than a little pleased with Smokes clear. And technically I guess, they are white.......at least until they gloss over in the oven.

I think I just over complicate things sometimes, but they are beginning to come together now and I am so glad I discovered PC and the people who've done the leg work to make this process as good as it is.

Thanks............Mike

runfiverun
11-10-2015, 12:11 AM
I think the 452 sizer actually being 452 and the change in cooking temp is what got you on track.
you still have to have the proper diameter for things to work properly okay correctly.
the clear coat would be pretty cool to see though. [jeez there I go again]

RogerDat
11-10-2015, 12:39 AM
Do we get a secret decoder ring or really bad drunken tattoo out of joining?

Gremlin460
11-10-2015, 02:43 AM
I lapped out the new .452 Lee sizing die until it actually sized to .452. I water dropped these boolits right from the mold like I used to always do. One thin coat of Smoke's clear made them look like little powdered sugar delights and then they glossed clear. These I baked hotter at 425 and longer, 15 minutes. I thought about water dropping them again out of the oven, but decided against it.

Back through the sizer again and then loaded both with boolits over 5.6 gr. of W231 powder.

Hi Mike , (great name btw!!)

I am mainly a Hitek coater and only do PC for the novelty of the colours...
That being said, I think that there is an issue that us HTC (hiTek Coaters) found and fixed that also aplies to PC.

Lead casts straight out of the mold, look nice and smooth, however the surface is slightly porus or rough. This is good, it allows a really nice key surface for either HT or PC to bond with the lead when baked.

BUT!! when you size a cast before coating the sizing die actually burnishes the lead surface and closes all the pores that promote a high attachment result.
We of the HT brigade coat once before sizing , to promote a good bond with the cast. I also PC before sizing to allow the same strong bond to the bare lead.

This may help with your residue inside your barrel problem.. just a thought for you to consider.

Mike.

nagantguy
11-10-2015, 07:44 AM
Now I'm confused, sorry gentlemen do I send $10,or $20? Thanks for the info, and Gremlin I have also found pcing right out the gate seems to offer better coverage, and the boolits are still warm.

bangerjim
11-10-2015, 12:06 PM
Now I'm confused, sorry gentlemen do I send $10,or $20? Thanks for the info, and Gremlin I have also found pcing right out the gate seems to offer better coverage, and the boolits are still warm.

Being "warm" may help if you are having humidity or static cling problems. Too warm and the powder will be waaaaaay to thick and tend to clump badly and potentially cause boolit imbalance. But I successfully BBDT and ESPC boolits that I cast (not casted) months ago....just stored in ZipLok bags. Just find out what works repeatably (key word) for your voo-doo coating process and stick to it (pun intended).

It DOES work.......just keep playing around!

And for you, my friend, it is only $40! HA.......ha!

banger

therealhitman
11-10-2015, 12:18 PM
What if you only PC yer rifle boolits? Half a membership for $5? Can we pay in lube grooves and headspace?

runfiverun
11-10-2015, 12:43 PM
oh boy,, now your gonna get us in trouble with Waksupi, he is the trusted loobe groove dealer on this site.

sundog
11-10-2015, 12:46 PM
oh boy,, now your gonna get us in trouble with Waksupi, he is the trusted loobe groove dealer on this site.

Just an opportunity for Ric to expand his monopoly - powder coated loob grooves. A technological advancement, to say the least!

therealhitman
11-10-2015, 12:59 PM
oh boy,, now your gonna get us in trouble with Waksupi...

But I'm just tradin' em! I meant no harm!! Wait...who's that at my door...

Smoke4320
11-10-2015, 07:56 PM
But I'm just tradin' em! I meant no harm!! Wait...who's that at my door...
I second Oliver Queen for President
As long as I get Felicity for a couple hours

bangerjim
11-10-2015, 08:05 PM
I have so many lube grooves now, I had to rent a sky hook to lift the container out of the way.

"In God we trust...........all others pay cash." A Jonny Cash 8 track would be good!!!!!!! "Ring of Fire" is my melting pot theme song.

banger

03fatboy
11-11-2015, 05:40 PM
Just started to cast this spring,and the next step was to start to powder coat,and I've had pretty good results with the tumble method.

My next move will be to get a PC gun and try that and see how it works.

I really appreciate all the knowledge and information that's shared.

Cut my teeth to Johnny Cash and the check is in the mail for my membership for the Brotherhood of the colered Boolit

therealhitman
11-11-2015, 11:47 PM
I second Oliver Queen for President
As long as I get Felicity for a couple hours

Ahhh yes. That would be festive.

I like Cupid best...have mercy!!

Brotherbadger
11-12-2015, 02:39 AM
Just getting into PC. I'll check it out. Thanks for the heads up.

Budzilla 19
11-15-2015, 08:45 PM
All right......... You guys have convinced me to try PC !!! I got the HF Red, a cool whip tub, and some boolits as cast! What I DIDNT have was some ASBB's, so I stopped at my local Dicks Sporting Goods store, grabbed up 5k bb's, (only size they had on hand), made my way to the checkout, this little "twit"!!! I'll call him, asks me, " may I have your birthdate ? I immediately went " What the hell for?" He said, so i can verify that your are over 18! SAY WHAT!!! He politely informed me that I had to give him my birthdate because their policy was to not sell bb's to anyone under the age of 18! I shoved the aforementioned BB's back across the counter and in a55 decibel voice asked him was he fricking nuts?? Plastic bb's? REALLY? He then asked if I wanted to cancel the sale! I politely informed that he was part of the problem and walked out cussing up a storm! That is something I normally don't do! Btw, I will be 60 in January! So Dicks is on my don't patronize list! Came home, and ordered from amazon instead! Kiss it, Dicks Sporting Goods! Sorry for the off-topic rant, but this chaps my cheeks! Plastic bb's? What's next?

depoloni
11-15-2015, 09:00 PM
Agh! Good reminder.

I signed up for the brotherhood of the colored boolit group, a while back now it seems.
I done forgot to check in much since then, humbly. Seems like every time I get the chance to, I'm playing with or shooting clown boolits. Stuff works, and dang it if it ain't distracting!

bangerjim
11-15-2015, 10:47 PM
Easy way to remember to check.

"Community" is right next to "Forum Actions" on the top toolbar where you go to "mark forums read" B4 you leave ever time.......RIGHT? You DO do that????? I sure do! That way you have a clean slate the next time you visit and you can click on the community and the Brotherhood link to the left of the button!

Easy peasy!

Done and done.

banger

flyingmonkey35
11-15-2015, 11:00 PM
What if you only PC yer rifle boolits? Half a membership for $5? Can we pay in lube grooves and headspace?
Just 16oz of muzzel blast will do.

flyingmonkey35
11-15-2015, 11:04 PM
All right......... You guys have convinced me to try PC !!! I got the HF Red, a cool whip tub, and some boolits as cast! What I DIDNT have was some ASBB's, so I stopped at my local Dicks Sporting Goods store, grabbed up 5k bb's, (only size they had on hand), made my way to the checkout, this little "twit"!!! I'll call him, asks me, " may I have your birthdate ? I immediately went " What the hell for?" He said, so i can verify that your are over 18! SAY WHAT!!! He politely informed me that I had to give him my birthdate because their policy was to not sell bb's to anyone under the age of 18! I shoved the aforementioned BB's back across the counter and in a55 decibel voice asked him was he fricking nuts?? Plastic bb's? REALLY? He then asked if I wanted to cancel the sale! I politely informed that he was part of the problem and walked out cussing up a storm! That is something I normally don't do! Btw, I will be 60 in January! So Dicks is on my don't patronize list! Came home, and ordered from amazon instead! Kiss it, Dicks Sporting Goods! Sorry for the off-topic rant, but this chaps my cheeks! Plastic bb's? What's next?
Yell at manager next time. The kid behind the regerster has no control.

I just give them 1873 and let them stew on it while they stare ant my mostly white bread and bald head.

OS OK
12-07-2015, 02:29 PM

That's the best rant I've read in months…would have loved to be there with you so I could have grabbed that little twit by the neck-group to help him concentrate on what you were saying…What has happened to these children?…to these Americans?…oh well, hope you got your ASBB's eventually…us oldfarts have to stick together now…help each other try to figure out what the heck is going on nowadays! Check with your neighbor up in Dallas…INFOWARS.COM…might get some insight there!

SeeYa…this side or t'other…charlie

Budzilla 19
12-08-2015, 11:03 AM
Update to post with rant; received said ASBB's, one trial run with some .44 cal. 200 RNFP , hmm, not so good first try, so add more bb's, swirl and shake longer, oven at 400f, baked 12 minutes after started to turn shiny, Voila'! Perfect PC'ed boolits! Not sprayed perfect,but acceptable for hammer test and not too bad looking at all! Where has this process been all my reloading career?
well, 547 boolits later,I think I have the basics down pat,man, this stuff is tough! Going to have to cast more to PC! A vicious circle, I tell ya, vicious! Next stop, PC rifle boolits! Many thanks to everyone on this site for all the advice about this process! Now, what am I going to do with my BLL I made up? Again, thanks to all.

Pablo 5959
12-11-2015, 04:26 PM
I hit the join tab. Then the screen flashed and the next thing I know is the brotherhood put up a tab that said LEAVE!
I guess it's a real exclusive club.

Smoke4320
12-11-2015, 04:39 PM
I hit the join tab. Then the screen flashed and the next thing I know is the brotherhood put up a tab that said LEAVE!

we have to be careful of anyone with a "O" in their name :bigsmyl2:

bangerjim
12-11-2015, 06:16 PM

You are in there. I have not idea why the site would give you a message like that.

banger

Retumbo
12-11-2015, 10:40 PM
Bought my oven and 3 lbs of powder today...this hobby IS NOT about saving money

Pablo 5959
12-11-2015, 11:04 PM
You are in there. I have not idea why the site would give you a message like that.

banger

Sorry,
My dry since of humor doesn't always go as planed.
[smilie=s: