PDA

View Full Version : primer problem or wheelgun problem?

Maineboy
04-11-2008, 03:57 PM
I have a newly aquired used Rossi 971. I got it for a good price, but now I think I know why. This is a 357 magnum and I loaded up a bunch of 38 special cases with CCI sp primers, a light charge of Unique powder and 150 grain RCBS cast boolits. The gun fires okay in single action mode but will fail to fire 1-2 rounds out of 6 in double action. The unfired rounds will fire in double action on the second try. I suspect I might need a new mainspring, but I was wondering if CCI small pistol primers might be considered "harder" than other brands. I believe I seated the primers well. Any comments are welcome. I bought the gun from a dealer so I might just take it back.

JMax
04-11-2008, 04:13 PM
Replace the main spring. A wire cutter trigger job you have.

Ghugly
04-11-2008, 07:09 PM
You may well need a new main spring. And, yes, CCI is harder than Federal. If you change to Federal, the gun make work as is. Considering the current catch as catch can situation with primers, you're probably better off repairing the gun.

bobthenailer
04-11-2008, 07:14 PM
yes federals are softer than cci cups, the double action hammer fall is lighter than single action hammer fall on most double action revolvers, get a new main spring {hammer spring}

jack19512
04-11-2008, 10:05 PM
I recently started reloading for my 38/357's and I use the CCI sp primers and have had no failure to fire with double action or single action.

Three44s
04-12-2008, 12:39 AM
Catch as Catch can is RIGHT!!

I have heard that Federal has started using the same cups as CCI so the days of easy to light off Federal primers may have faded into history!

Yes, more hammer strike should solve the problem.

Three 44s

Freightman
04-12-2008, 07:28 PM
Winchester's are softer also than CCI. I have a Gaucho that is on and off with Remington and CCI but 100% with Federals and Winchester. Want to know how Taurus made the trigger so smooth look at the main spring.

Lloyd Smale
04-13-2008, 06:23 AM
I dont know if its had an action job or has a tired spring. I had one of the 5 shot 44 specail rossis. It was a pretty good gun but wouldnt reliably da any primer except a fed and it was never touched. I got ahold of rossi and got a new spring and replaced it and the problem was still there. I got rid of it because i didnt want to waste my remaining stash of fed primers on it.

Maineboy
04-13-2008, 06:46 AM
I don't think the spring has been clipped. If it was, the guy who did it made was able to bend the end so it looks just like the other end. Frankly, I believe I may have been the first person to have the sideplate off. I really like the gun, it's nice and tight with a smooth action. I'll try some WW and Federal primers and I'm wondering if a small spacer at the end of the spring to "shorten" it would help. I'll write Rossi and let them know what's going on and see if they can offer a fix. I'm also going to let the dealer I bought it from know about my problem and tell him he may be getting it back if things don't work out.

beemer
04-13-2008, 08:33 AM
I have used a spacer at the end of coil springs to increase tension.(please don't ask how the spring ended up to short) I didn't leave it that way but it worked till help arrived. You could always try it to see if it solved the problem.

I had a friend that owned a Rossi 357 mag, it had firing pin problems. The pin was to hard and had crumbled away on the end.

The hammer fall in DA is shorter than the SA fall. Always try new mainsprings DA, if it works SA is usually fine.

beemer

bobthenailer
04-13-2008, 03:09 PM
ive reworked 3 of my s & w revolver to 5 1/2 and 6 lbs double action trigger pull with 100 % reliablity with federal small / large pistol primers . i once had a rossi 22lr stainless revolver on the small frame i also put a small washer under the mainspring to increase hammer fall , i was getting some missfires .

johniv
04-13-2008, 05:12 PM
Hi all, I have had missfires with ALL of my 38/357's with CCI primers(regular not magnum) and I have no reworked or custom guns. A switch to Win primers and the problem goes away.
That said I have shot a small truck load of CCI in large pistol persuasion in 1911's and have had no problems. FWIW
John

Maineboy
04-20-2008, 04:21 PM
I tried Winchester Small Pistol primers and I got 100% ignition in double action with 5 cylinders full. I couldn't find any Federals. The appearance of the fired CCIs and Winchesters is quite a contrast. There are nice deep indentations in the Winchester primers and the CCIs are about half as deep. I think I'm all set. This is a nice revolver with a great action. I haven't tested to see how accurate the gun is though.

mooman76
04-20-2008, 04:39 PM
I had that problem a few times on A Rossi I bought recently although it wont duplicate it every time. Also another gun but can't remember which. Anyway the Rossi is a 44special. It was either new when I got it or barely used. If you try dry fireing it a few times in both single and double action slowly I think you will find a differance in the trigger snap as it is released. I might note also I am using Winchester primmers. It feels to me that the action is hanging up on something. Not that it is getting caught but like there is tention holding the release of the hammer and it is releasing slower instead of with a snap. I feel it will wear in in time and cure the problem and I have planned on looking at it closer to see if I could figure it out. I think a little break free will help also.

targetshootr
04-20-2008, 06:13 PM
On my Dillon 650 I finally realized I was not punching out the old primers. Even after I knew that was my problem, some were still getting by me. They would be punched out part of the way, and then at the next station I'd seat them back down. It's another reason I don't bother shooting that caliber any more. fwiw.