PDA

View Full Version : Need a ladle.

roscoe
11-09-2015, 04:48 PM
Since I going to start dipping now I need a ladle. I will be using a 2 & 4 cavity mold. I plan on using the ladle with a Lee Magnum 59.

Are some ladles better than others?

Are some out there I should stay away from?

How well do the bottom pour ladles work?

I have noticed the several people are taking the RCBS ladle and opening up the pour hole. Looking at the Rowell ladle, it appears to have a very large opening to make the pour. I guess it's not to large since so many people are using it.

Any help would be appreciated.

bangerjim
11-09-2015, 05:52 PM
I have an RCBS cast iron bottom-side pour that is perfect. Holds enough lead for a 6 banger 9mm or 38SP mold. Make sure what you get is a bottom-side pour and not just a stupid spoon like Lee sells! Rowell makes very good ones also. Just get a cast iron one so it hold the heat.

I bought mine locally at Sportsman's Warehouse a few years ago. They still carry them here.

banger

Steve77
11-09-2015, 09:14 PM
I use the lyman lead dipper bottom pour ladle. 22 bucks at midway. I tried a non bottom pour and hated it. It allowed all the impurities floating on top of your ladle to go straight into the mold. The lyman bottom pour spilled less and floated the impurities instead of putting them into your bullets. If I couldn't find my bottom pour ladle, I wouldn't cast again until I found it or bought a new one. I will not use a top pour again.

Hardcast416taylor
11-09-2015, 09:22 PM
For comfortable use I found that the Lyman ladle is the leader. I never could get used to the RCBS ladle with its odd shape and fins. I went so far to try to make it work for me by grinding off the fins and cutting 2" off the metal rod handle length. This was better but I still rely on my 2 Lyman. I haven`t come across a bottom pour ladle so I can`t comment about them. I`ve been using a ladle for pouring lead into a mould for about 50 years, so I guess my opinion about your query won`t matter.Robert

jmort
11-09-2015, 09:27 PM
I have a Lyman and a Rowell #1 and a #7. The Rowell #1 is the one I like best.

country gent
11-09-2015, 09:49 PM
I have lyman and rcbs ladles and looked at rowels ( we had rowels in die cast area at work but they were big ones for industrial uses. I like both the lyman and rcbs ladles alot I use the rcbs more ( the bottom fin I use to make sure the sprue plate has stayed closed ). The lymnn does better when trying to completely empty a pot. I have opened both up to .205-.210 dia holes in the spouts for better flow on the big bullets I cast (40 cal 400+ grn and 45 cal 550grn) Both ladles have enough for the 2 cavity moulds Im usig for thesebullets and extra. I have looked at the rowels and like the way they look the number1 ( smallest) is 1lb of lead capacity. Alot to be handling over a session. Also while they have a spout it dosnt look like you could do a pressure or forced pour with it. The lee ladle isnt much more than a spoon with spouts on the side top pour and no pressure pour abilities. Heavy steel or cast iron is desireable to help hold heat. I may make a brass ladle hear shortly bottom pour with spout suitable for por or pressure filling. It will be about 1 1/2" in dia. 1/8" wall thickness o bowel and brass tubing for spout. If possible Handle the lymann, RCBS and rowel to see what feels right to you. A #2 or #3 rowel would be handy for pouring ingots though.

GhostHawk
11-09-2015, 09:59 PM
Lyman here, holds enough to fill 6 124 grain cavity's with extra left over and is small and light weight enough to not get heavy. I use a small lee pot and can immerse the ladle and put a 2 cavity mold just touching lead to warm, ladle keeps it from falling in.

But I so think you can learn to use or adapt most anything.
been thinking about a medium sized gravy ladle with maybe a 1/4" hole near the shank. Be able to dispense several short or one long stream just by the angle you hold it at.

Pipefitter
11-09-2015, 10:18 PM
I have both the Lyman and the RCBS, prefer the RCBS because I can cast 4 300+ gn cores at one time for swaging. For the tiny 22 cores either one works.

Big Dog
11-14-2015, 01:22 AM
xxxxx

Tackleberry41
11-16-2015, 09:10 AM
I use the Lyman, it can be made lefty or righty, a consideration when your a lefty. Have a bottom pour pot, but have gotten such great results with the ladle, plus the spout was always stopping up, so it just sits on a shelf.