PDA

View Full Version : Loadmaster guys, how many wave washers?

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
11-08-2015, 09:47 PM
Hi Fellas,

I bought a Loadmaster for entertainment purposes and to make a specialized lube/size/trim progressive. I've read extensively about the Loadmaster and having owned several progressives now, I'm doing what I do, fine tuning the press for the smoothest operation possible right off the bat. I doing a lot of stuff and will eventually post pics, but right now I have a question.

I tore down the compound lever mechanism/operating handle to smooth things up, remove burrs, polish the operating handle, etc. During this tear down, I noticed there is a single wave washer, .010" installed and there is a place 4 could go. As received, the mechanism looks "cockeyed" like it needs a washer to balance it out and the left hand side blued/black oxided steel bar was cocked slightly to the right from top to bottom, like a washer was missing on the left side. I found a single wave washer on the bottom right shaft, the one with a single grease fitting on the left side. I suspect the machine is missing at least one wave washer and perhaps as many as three, because the top looks like it needs a small thing washer as well and the wave washer would be ideal.

Can ya'll check yours and let me know?

Thank you,

Dave

44Vaquero
11-08-2015, 11:41 PM
It's basically a slack adjuster for the pivot point. My press has one on the upper left pivot. I have seen some presses with 2 one on the upper and one on the lower. Never more than 2?

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
11-09-2015, 01:58 AM
It's basically a slack adjuster for the pivot point. My press has one on the upper left pivot. I have seen some presses with 2 one on the upper and one on the lower. Never more than 2?

Thank you 44, that tells me a bunch. Mine came with one on the lower right pivot. After pulling the mechanism apart, tuning it and reassembling, I think I'm going to order three more.

My press was fairly well made compared to many during the big rush period and lacks some of the really rough machining turned out during that time period. But I can see where it would be beneficial to use these spring steel wave washers not only to take up slack, but to keep the mechanism aligned. Mine has enough room on both sides to take two washers and have them be successful keeping the mechanism aligned better.

As a side note, having one on the right side and none on the left of my press caused the left hand blued steel bar to be pulled left, causing force in a direction that would cause alignment wear over time. Three of these washers should totally resolve that issue.

I'll be posting some mods I made/am making during the tune up phase along with some pictures and commentary on the press once I've gotten it running as a lube/size/trim machine for .308Winchester.

Any suggestions for spare parts?

I'm selling off the dies, powder measure and double disk kit that came with the press, as I already had 3 sets of pro auto disks, a complete .223 die set and two double disk kits. I bought those to get a complete case feeder assembly. Of course, Lee didn't throw in the hand collator, so I bought the black aftermarket one that's out now to get it's larger capacity.

LeadThrower
11-09-2015, 10:44 AM
Dave,
I've been considering the LM for 308, as well. However, I was going to buy the bare press and accessorize from there. I seat primers by hand in all calibers, and, like you, I have enough powder measures. All that said, it's not clear to me which case feeder kit is required for 308. Do you have a part number available? If not, I'm sure a quick call to Lee will get the info.
Thanks,
Eric

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
11-09-2015, 03:11 PM
Dave,
I've been considering the LM for 308, as well. However, I was going to buy the bare press and accessorize from there. I seat primers by hand in all calibers, and, like you, I have enough powder measures. All that said, it's not clear to me which case feeder kit is required for 308. Do you have a part number available? If not, I'm sure a quick call to Lee will get the info.
Thanks,
Eric

Eric,

I think you'll find buying a .223 kit will net you out less money out your pocket in the long run. Anything you already have, you can strip off the press and sell on the swap & sell forum here. The large rifle primer feed case pusher is the same as the large pistol.

In any case, check out https://www.wideners.com/itemview.cfm?startrow=1&dir=210|212|237|1011 Widener's has a heckuva deal running on these right now, beats all other prices around. Wish I had known of this when I bought mine.

Also check out loadmastervideos.com There's a fella there nicknamed websterz that makes aluminum parts for the Loadmaster feed system that's superior to the Lee parts and not a lot of money.

Gillie Dog
11-09-2015, 04:19 PM
This is one of several discussions about it on the site Dave suggested.

http://forums.loadmastervideos.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1371&highlight=wave

GD

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
11-09-2015, 05:26 PM
Gillie,

Thanks for posting that. I have to say that after closely inspecting the assembly, I sincerely believe the mechanism, if it has any of those washers, it should have four of them. My press mechanism was not in alignment with the washer in what Lee states is the correct position.

kryogen
11-10-2015, 08:32 AM
The issue with my own loadmaster is that it has slack and misalignment everywhere....

ez4545
11-10-2015, 10:49 AM
I'm going to set my loadmaster back up again. I used mine quite a bit before I had to take a break for health reasons from my shooting sports. After using it awhile i realized it didn't respond well to my ham fisted friend that had no idea of the concept of what finesse is.

It's been so long now I don't remember the parts I had to replace but it was under $10.00 and the only time I had to make a repair. In my version of a better world there would be no need for the word finesse but this press works great with a little bit of finesse.

I use my single stage presses more

I really like a lot of the Lee products and I have a few in my un planned collection of presses and gear. I like my lee classic single stage as much as my rock chucker. When I want to load a couple hundred .45acp or .223 I will get out the load master.
Bill in GA

Gillie Dog
11-10-2015, 12:27 PM
If anybody has a Loadmaster they do not use, need, or want I am looking for an affordable one. Please PM me.

Thanks

GD

LeadThrower
11-13-2015, 09:43 AM
Eric,

I think you'll find buying a .223 kit will net you out less money out your pocket in the long run. Anything you already have, you can strip off the press and sell on the swap & sell forum here. The large rifle primer feed case pusher is the same as the large pistol.

In any case, check out https://www.wideners.com/itemview.cfm?startrow=1&dir=210|212|237|1011 Widener's has a heckuva deal running on these right now, beats all other prices around. Wish I had known of this when I bought mine.

Also check out loadmastervideos.com There's a fella there nicknamed websterz that makes aluminum parts for the Loadmaster feed system that's superior to the Lee parts and not a lot of money.

Thanks for the details and the suggestion, Dave!!

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
11-16-2015, 09:28 PM
Well, I got in three more washers today in a spare parts order I had placed. Put them behind the two black bars against the handle and the frame in the respective locations. The mechanism tightened up a great deal and is plainly square and moving like it should be after some measurements and tests. I just have one more mod to do and then I'll be running this toy. I'll post results.