PDA

View Full Version : Reduced 45-70 Loads and Filler

lightload
11-08-2015, 09:46 PM
Some place various fillers on top of powder in reduced 45-70 loads. I understand why but wonder if small cork or fiber wads might also serve the same purpose.

I have another question related to using reduced loads in the 45-70 cartridge. When using round ball loads or even some other light bullets in a single shot 45-70, it would seem to me that seating the boolit below the case mouth would take up a lot of interior space and would allow the shooter to skip adding fillers. How much below the mouth is not specified in my question.

Of course my question pertain to plinking ammo.

Jpholla
11-08-2015, 10:11 PM
You could be courting trouble. Using a wad to hold a small amount of fast-burning powder against the primer has been attributed by many to cause ringed chambers. The wad is considered to be a projectile and may be traveling hundreds of feet per second when it slams into the bullet, causing it to try to mushroom in the barrel. Basically like a bullet hitting an obstruction in the barrel, just a smaller version. But you may get away with it. But why risk it? Many people have perfectly good success using flake powders with no fillers or wads. Red Dot, Unique, 2400, are known to be quite position-insensitive. Have you tried it without fillers or wads?
As for deep-seating balls or bullets, it should work with the proper load, but the ball/bullet may strip the rifling if it travels that far and picks up speed before slamming into the rifling.

map55b
11-08-2015, 10:22 PM
I like to shoot a lead 350gr bullet over 12 grains of Unique and I don't use any filler. Never had an issues, it accurate and very pleasant to shot in my Siamese.

Larry Gibson
11-08-2015, 11:10 PM
Filler. ....yes

Wad......no

Simple as that.

Larry Gibson

Lead Fred
11-08-2015, 11:15 PM
The deeper the seat, the more pressure built.

I only have ONE load, it kills anything that walks on the planet.

After the 42 gr of Reloader &, a .030 veggie wad, dacron filler, and a 430gr Ranch Dog cast boolit, with or without the gas check.

Solid loads just seam to get tighter groups out of a 1895 Marlin

country gent
11-08-2015, 11:16 PM
I have used cream of wheat for filler in my 45-90 to maintain compression on black powder loads duplicating 45-70 loads performance. no airspace to cause issues.