PDA

View Full Version : Hollow-base .38 spcl 148 LWC mould?

TexasJeff
04-11-2008, 01:19 PM
I've searched on the search engine/function, but haven't found much of anything.

Does anyone make a hollow-base mould for .38 spcl wadcutters?

That's my dad's favorite round to reload and shoot, and he's having trouble now and then finding a steady source of them. Would like to cast some for him if I can find the mould.

Would this be a custom job?

Jeff

ovendoctor
04-11-2008, 02:01 PM
keep an eye out
they show up now and then
just got one about 3 month's ago off the forum:mrgreen:

Char-Gar
04-11-2008, 02:26 PM
Jeff.... Casting hollow base 38 wadcutters would be a painfully slow process. Speer, Hornaday, Miester and others sell swaged 38 HB wadcutters. You can also buy those made by Remington for use in factory ammo.

I don't think there is any problem buying these, but you can always give Gil Hebard Guns a call. He doesn't have a web site, but he will have them for sure and for certain.

beagle
04-11-2008, 03:00 PM
The old Lyman 358395 HB wad moulds are still seen on E-Bay from time to time. From my experiences (and I have four of them) they run all over the place as far as weights go. 128 to 165 grains in my case. Of course, I've made HB pins for several of them so that might be my fault somewhat.

They do cast pretty well and I've had no problems with fill out after the mould and base plug get hot. They shoot well in my Ruger Blackhawk .357s.

They're not the PITA to cast as many say they are and you can turn out a goodly number in an evening's casting.

Well worth the effort if you like HB wadcutters./beagle

Maven
04-11-2008, 03:35 PM
TX Jeff, For what it's worth, Remington makes and sells a .38cal. HBWC (the same one they use in their target ammo) that is superbly accurate. Midway used to carry them at a reasonable price, so check with them or your favorite supplier for availability & price. They were (operative term here) so reasonably priced that it didn't pay to roll your own.

crazy mark
04-11-2008, 05:35 PM
Cramer made a 2 cavity HB WC mould. It's a dream to use and not much slower than a regular 2 cavity mould. A good machinist could make up some of these if he had the time. I have one of the Cramers. Mark

Morgan Astorbilt
04-11-2008, 06:06 PM
They make a really good man stopper, when loaded backwards.
Morgan

Ricochet
04-11-2008, 06:21 PM
Morgan
For some reason, saying something about that on a forum usually starts a squabble about the alleged legal hazards of using handloaded ammo for defense, as asserted by Massad Ayoob.

StrawHat
04-11-2008, 06:59 PM
Cramer made a 2 cavity HB WC mould. It's a dream to use and not much slower than a regular 2 cavity mould. A good machinist could make up some of these if he had the time. I have one of the Cramers. Mark

Mark,

How about a couple of photos of that mold to give us an idea how it works?

Thanks

StrawHat
04-11-2008, 07:01 PM
Morgan

Never heard of anyone who has actually used it.

I loaded it for a few years, until I shot a raccoon with it. Regular wadcutters did better.

Matter of fact, after that I used regular wadcutters loaded a bit faster for all my vermin shooting. Worked great.

TexasJeff
04-11-2008, 07:35 PM
Thanks for the feedback and suggestions.

It's definitely not a priority at the time, but I will keep my eyes open in case I stumble across one. In the meantime, I'll look for some of the Remingtons.

Jeff

hyoder
04-11-2008, 09:42 PM
Try:
Mike's Reloading
Brattleboro, VT
802-254-5296

He deals in used molds as well as new. I've picked up some oldies from hime over the years.

crazy mark
04-12-2008, 12:16 AM
Mark,

How about a couple of photos of that mold to give us an idea how it works?

Thanks

Hope these come out OK. These were taken a while back.