PDA

View Full Version : How to dress up Browning A-Bolt ??

kens
11-08-2015, 02:27 AM
Hi,
I just acquired a Browning A-Bolt (japan) in .270. it is wearing a Swift scope.
It was lonely in a pawn shop so I gave it a home. It had some rust spots and dings in the stock.
I got it home and the rust spots worked out pretty good, but the stock has had a hard life.

if this was a old military rifle, we all would say it is in good shape, but, it is the old Browning hard glossy stock. It been riding in the back seat a long time. What can I do with it? I am afraid to start refinishing the stock because it has fine line checkering. I dont want to disturb the checkering.
Maybe get a Boyds laminated color stock?
Im looking for ideas.
thanks

lancem
11-08-2015, 09:12 AM
Just put a Boyds stock on my 700, very pleased with the fit and finish of the stock.

pietro
11-08-2015, 11:41 AM

The stock can be refinished w/o damaging the checkering. :2_high5:

Remove the Browning epoxy finish with a chemical stripper like Citristrip ( sand only repaired areas).

The checkering is best stripped with an old (or Dollar Store) toothbrush (use a 2nd/different/clean toothbrush to apply finish topcoats to the checkering).

The wood can then be stained to your taste, to even out the color (if you want to), then given either a hand-rubbed oil finish (like TruOil) or an epoxy finish similar to the original finish.