PDA

View Full Version : Can Anyone Tell Me What This Is, Please?

Dipperman
11-07-2015, 11:43 PM
The title says it all. If anyone can identify the item in the pictures, I would sure appreciate it.

Thanks in advance,
Dipperman

uncle joe
11-07-2015, 11:44 PM
looks like a tool rest for a wood lathe

Parson
11-07-2015, 11:49 PM
It looks like the tool that holds a hand saw in place while you file the teeth sharp

tunnug
11-07-2015, 11:55 PM
Parson nailed it, my dad had one you mounted on the workbench, you slide the saw teeth up between the jaws and it holds it tight while you use a file on the teeth.

bdicki
11-08-2015, 12:05 AM
I was going to say it looks like a ruler.

Stewbaby
11-08-2015, 12:26 AM
Before the days of our chinese disposable junk...

Kskybroom
11-08-2015, 12:44 AM
Looks like it a Large one. My grandpa would use it for Two Man an Ice Saws. Had a smaller one for hands saws.
Id make'm dull he'd sharpen them.

( Seeing that makes my arms ache )

Just Duke
11-08-2015, 05:37 AM
Parson nailed it, my dad had one you mounted on the workbench, you slide the saw teeth up between the jaws and it holds it tight while you use a file on the teeth.

That's it!

JesterGrin_1
11-08-2015, 05:57 AM
It looks like the tool that holds a hand saw in place while you file the teeth sharp

Parson is on the Money. And by the way if you do not have a need for it? :bigsmyl2:

bedbugbilly
11-08-2015, 10:16 AM
It's a hand saw clamp for hand filing and sharpening saws. I've used one many many times. When I had a saw sharpening service (I used to shapren hand saws, circular saws, chain saws, etc. on the side for extra money when I was young) I had a clamp very similar to this in my shop. It was great for clamping a saw in and "jointing" the teeth. Jointing is using a jig held file and running it over the tips of the teeth to get them all one length prior to filing the face of the tooth to sharpen it. From there, I then clamped in my Bellsaw hand saw sharpener to do the actual sharpening. If the say only needed a "touch up", I'd use the saw clamp like yours to clamp the saw in to touch up the teeth with a 3 corner file by hand.

bangerjim
11-08-2015, 10:30 AM
It is definitely an olde tyme hand saw sharpener vise. Back when guys sharpened hand saws with a file!

I have a couple of them in my antique tool collection, not that I would ever use them.

William Yanda
11-08-2015, 10:36 AM
Correct terminology is saw vice. Others more knowledgeable could probably id maker and model. That looks like one of the more advanced ones. Is there a groove for a leather or rubber liner in the jaw?
Bill

runfiverun
11-08-2015, 11:25 AM
there's 2 of them out in the wood shop, if anybody wants them come and get them.
we will be throwing stuff away later today so you might wanna hurry.

shooter93
11-08-2015, 07:55 PM
You could mail them to me Lamar.....smiles.

leeggen
11-08-2015, 10:01 PM
Some had extra wide gap below the vise jaws so you could put a back saw in it to sharpen. Back saws were used in the old miter set ups for cutting trim. They had a real thick back on the blade that ran in a set of guides on the miters, this is before power miter saws.
CD

JesterGrin_1
11-09-2015, 06:57 AM
Some had extra wide gap below the vise jaws so you could put a back saw in it to sharpen. Back saws were used in the old miter set ups for cutting trim. They had a real thick back on the blade that ran in a set of guides on the miters, this is before power miter saws.
CD

Hey wait a minute you mean they make power miter saws?

Heck I still mess with Draw knives and a Stanley #80 and a Stanley #151 Spoke Shaves. Not to mention a Stanley #12 that I inherited but nobody ever showed me how to use the darn thing lol. I have a brand new HOCK Blade for the No 12 but still can not figure out how to adjust it to work lol. I also have a HOCK Blade for the Stanley #80 but I feel the thinner Stanley Sweet Heart blade does a better job.

runfiverun
11-09-2015, 11:11 AM
I said y'all might wanna hurry.
many here would cry at what all got tossed.
I know there was a foot locker of carpenters tools from the 20'-30's and some even before that out there.
coping saws, miter saws, planes, files, hand powered drills and bits, routing tools, power tools of all kinds, coping tools, a planer and a joiner, jigs of all sorts, vices, clamps, draw knives....

all went in a dumpster.
I couldn't stand it and left early, my garage has an 18" wide path from the front to the back from stuff I rescued but I couldn't even begin to bring home any of the wood-shop stuff, and I had to leave a ton of mechanics tools behind too.

Alstep
11-09-2015, 02:01 PM
Throwing that stuff out is criminal. You could have sold it here:
http://www.enginads.com/classifieds/showcat.php?cat=all
Stuff like that is sought after by collectors and woodworkers.
It would be equivalent to trashing old molds, dies, lead, presses, guns, etc.

jcwit
11-09-2015, 02:05 PM
Wonder if you would have so easily thrown all that "stuff" away if they consisted of bullet moulds, old percussion 6 guns, old org. Sharps rifles, etc., etc.