PDA

View Full Version : Opinions wanted on a 147gr 9mm subsonic boolit type

chrisstophere
11-07-2015, 11:33 PM
Opinions wanted. I'm looking to start casting subsonic 9mm and am torn between these two molds: RCBS 9MM-147-FN 556 or the Lyman 9mm - #356637.
The 2 main differences is the number of cavities available and the base, bevel vs. flat.
The base type is what is really throwing me. I could live with 2 less cavities, but will I notice any cons with the bevel base? I'm not the best shot, but I'm getting better every day and accuracy is the biggest theory in difference I've read about the base types. Are RCBS molds any better or about the same as Lyman ones?
Thanks all and sorry if I put this in the wrong sub.

Grump
11-08-2015, 12:34 AM
I have no use for a bevel base.

I also like clean holes in paper so my experimenting with 147-gr cast has been with the H&G #73. Supposed to be 145-gr, mine weigh closer to 150 last batch cast. Just did some more but haven't weighed them... Mostly use 'em in .38 Spl.

LIGHT loads because of an interest in regular bullseye shooting AND being out of every other powder, I have used 700-X and to me chamber pressure looks max at only 800 fps. Just scored some Auto-Comp so I might take another crack at it.

Moulds? RCBS, Lyman and H&G have all performed equally well for me. IMO, buy any of them with confidence.

zomby woof
11-08-2015, 09:26 AM
I'm using the LEE 358-150-1R for my 9mm heavies. It's a flat base. They work great.

Geraldo
11-08-2015, 09:48 AM
I haven't noticed a bit of difference accuracy-wise in flat or bevel base 147gr 9mm.

chrisstophere
11-08-2015, 09:56 AM
I have a few Lee's and just wanted to get something a bit nicer this time around along with a mold metal type that I don't have already. The RCBS and the Lyman fit that bill because I can't afford another accurate mold in steel. The Lyman 4 banger would be more useful than the RCBS one, and if bases really don't matter much to the average shooter, then maybe the Lyman mold is the way to go. hmmm...
I'm horrible at decision making for purchases.

tazman
11-08-2015, 11:38 AM
Take a look at this one.
http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/product_info.php?cPath=34&products_id=1911&osCsid=b3lj07evu1342m928v6kimle06

It is designed specifically for the 9mm and works well. It also has the option for hollow point boolits.

chrisstophere
11-08-2015, 11:50 AM
Take a look at this one.
http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/product_info.php?cPath=34&products_id=1911&osCsid=b3lj07evu1342m928v6kimle06

It is designed specifically for the 9mm and works well. It also has the option for hollow point boolits.

Oh, I didn't see that one. I know their aluminum molds are better quality than the Lee's I've been using, but the Noe costs as much as the Lyman 4 cavity which is steel. The HP is a nice option, but not really necessary. I plan on using these for matches and can't see (or don't know) why a HP would be needed.

Tackleberry41
11-08-2015, 02:27 PM
The NOE HP mold I bought recently, came with extra pins so they can go either way. I bought an extra set not knowing this, thinking I ll just make a set for FN rounds. But will use them to HP a Lee mold. I have the Lyman 147 gr, mold not really used it much to say one way or another. But I do like the NOE HP mold I have for my 45 so may try one in 9mm. Yea NOE is aluminum vs steel, but they make really nice mold. Worlds better than the Lees I have. Lee has cut back even further on the amount of material used to keep the price point, but its to a point where its not really enough. The NOE works so beautifully vs the temperamental Lees.

tazman
11-08-2015, 06:28 PM
Oh, I didn't see that one. I know their aluminum molds are better quality than the Lee's I've been using, but the Noe costs as much as the Lyman 4 cavity which is steel. The HP is a nice option, but not really necessary. I plan on using these for matches and can't see (or don't know) why a HP would be needed.

It comes with pins to make both hollow point or flat point, your choice. Mine works well in both configurations.

Grump
11-08-2015, 08:17 PM
I TOTALLY believe I. 4-cavity moulds. Reports of accuracy differences (when found) between FB and BB bullets are at the level of less than. 3-inch groups at 25 yards.

chrisstophere
11-08-2015, 08:37 PM
So now my question, after a day of thinking and considering everybody's opinion is do I invest in the iron Lyman or an aluminum Noe.

Leadmelter
11-08-2015, 08:41 PM
NOE are great molds. I own about 15 (I think).
Leadmelter
MI

Geezer in NH
11-08-2015, 08:57 PM
I would by the NOE if they do not cast the right size they will fix it right away.

Sub-sonic 9mm to me is for use with a can to make it Hollywood kind of "quite" no silencer I need to know why sub-sonic?

dragon813gt
11-08-2015, 09:03 PM
What's a Lyman mold? People actually buy them? There is no comparison between a custom mold and one of the production molds. The custom molds are worth every penny.

jmort
11-08-2015, 09:21 PM
If you are not going HP then Accurate would be best choice.

chrisstophere
11-08-2015, 09:24 PM
I would by the NOE if they do not cast the right size they will fix it right away.

Sub-sonic 9mm to me is for use with a can to make it Hollywood kind of "quite" no silencer I need to know why sub-sonic?

Yes, I have a can on the way and I want to load optimally for it.

chrisstophere
11-08-2015, 09:27 PM
If you are not going HP then Accurate would be best choice.
I thought of this as well. I actually have a 30 cal rifle mold on order with him. I have about 2 weeks left. Picking a mold out of his extensive catalog is a bit daunting, especially when all I've dealt with are Lee molds.

jmort
11-08-2015, 09:37 PM
It won't take two more weeks. As for your 9mm I would get this with a gas check.
http://www.accuratemolds.com/img/bullets/catalogue/35-147A.png

chrisstophere
11-08-2015, 09:42 PM
It won't take two more weeks. As for your 9mm I would get this with a gas check.
http://www.accuratemolds.com/img/bullets/catalogue/35-147A.png
I powder coat my rounds and plan on pushing this in the 900's so I didn't think a gas check was necessary.

By the way thank you all for input. It's been very helpful. That accurate mold doesn't look too bad. [emoji3]

tazman
11-08-2015, 10:03 PM
NOE molds are never a bad choice.
The particular mold I mentioned I also use in my 38 special where it performs quite well.
In my experience with NOE molds( I own 9 of them), they always drop boolits at the appropriate size for the cartridge. Usually right at the designated size of the mold prefix. 358-155-tc drops at .358 for me and the 360- molds drop at .360. This is with range scrap. Since you plan to powder coat, you will probably need to size, then coat, then size again. You may already be doing that.

chrisstophere
11-08-2015, 10:08 PM
NOE molds are never a bad choice.
The particular mold I mentioned I also use in my 38 special where it performs quite well.
In my experience with NOE molds( I own 9 of them), they always drop boolits at the appropriate size for the cartridge. Usually right at the designated size of the mold prefix. 358-155-tc drops at .358 for me and the 360- molds drop at .360. This is with range scrap. Since you plan to powder coat, you will probably need to size, then coat, then size again. You may already be doing that.
Yes sir. Coat then size. Since I do PC I'm wondering if this would be a better design some I don't need any lube grooves.
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/11/08/715a3a8915bf9e048f68b862514c93df.jpg

tazman
11-08-2015, 10:14 PM
With PC you don't need lube grooves. Some say the extra drive surface area gives more accuracy. I don't have any experience with them myself.
You might want to investigate the coatings and alternatives forum(http://castboolits.gunloads.com/forumdisplay.php?184-Coatings-and-Alternatives )to see what they think about it. Should be some experience there.

jmort
11-08-2015, 10:16 PM
"Since I do PC I'm wondering if this would be a better design some I don't need any lube grooves."

That is what this is designed for, so it seems ideal.

jaysouth
11-09-2015, 08:54 PM
As you can see by the responses, opinions are like noses, everybody has at least one. However the only one that counts is what your gun tells you. Cultivate other casters and get different style bullets and find the best one for YOUR pistol. It will speak to you loud and clear.

Lots of good opinions expressed.

chrisstophere
11-09-2015, 09:02 PM
As you can see by the responses, opinions are like noses, everybody has at least one. However the only one that counts is what your gun tells you. Cultivate other casters and get different style bullets and find the best one for YOUR pistol. It will speak to you loud and clear.

Agreed. I haven't found many local casters but have swapped a few pieces with a guy from a facebook group that gave me a chance to "try before I buy"

BAGTIC
11-10-2015, 12:27 PM
The only time I have found flat base versus bevel base to make a difference was when loading very short bullets where the bullets seated very shallow. Then a bevel base reduces the contact area between case and bullet sometimes making for 'iffy' alignment.

Brotherbadger
11-12-2015, 01:47 AM
I'm using the LEE 358-150-1R for my 9mm heavies. It's a flat base. They work great.

That's been my go to as well. Works great.

chrisstophere
11-12-2015, 05:25 PM
That's been my go to as well. Works great.
I'm going to give it a shot. It's in the amazon cart now. I figure fir 20 some bucks, can't hurt.

frnkeore
11-13-2015, 02:00 AM
The thing that the 358-155-TC bullet has going for it, that no other bullet, that I know of has, is that the nose taper is a match for the 9x19 throat, in the chamber and it was designed that way. If the bullet is loaded straight in the neck of the case, it will stay that way when it enteres the rifling of the barrel.

Frank

Geezer in NH
11-18-2015, 09:50 PM
Yes, I have a can on the way and I want to load optimally for it.Go for penetration at sweet quite speed that's what counts. I have thousands of rounds with cans both subgun's with full auto and hand guns or SBR single shots. Do not expect expansion so go for penetration.

Grump
11-18-2015, 10:53 PM

Ummm, I don't know about you, but I have myself but ONE nose.

Jaysouth knows something I don't???

And chrisstophere (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/member.php?40490-chrisstophere) agrees with him! I wanna know what he knows...maybe.

chrisstophere
11-18-2015, 11:01 PM
Ummm, I don't know about you, but I have myself but ONE nose.

Jaysouth knows something I don't???

And chrisstophere (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/member.php?40490-chrisstophere) agrees with him! I wanna know what he knows...maybe.
[emoji13] I have yet to see 2 noses on someone, but he's right none the less, everybody does have at least 1 nose.

Grump
11-19-2015, 09:51 PM
[emoji13] I have yet to see 2 noses on someone, but he's right none the less, everybody does have at least 1 nose.

Come to think of it, your math (and I guess his) is impeccable!

Sig556r
01-23-2019, 01:39 PM
Opinions wanted. I'm looking to start casting subsonic 9mm and am torn between these two molds: RCBS 9MM-147-FN 556 or the Lyman 9mm - #356637.
The 2 main differences is the number of cavities available and the base, bevel vs. flat.
The base type is what is really throwing me. I could live with 2 less cavities, but will I notice any cons with the bevel base? I'm not the best shot, but I'm getting better every day and accuracy is the biggest theory in difference I've read about the base types. Are RCBS molds any better or about the same as Lyman ones?
Thanks all and sorry if I put this in the wrong sub.

https://www.mp-molds.com/e-shop/molds/solid-molds/9mm-147-556-rcbs-clone-8-cav-aluminum-mold

blackriver
01-23-2019, 02:33 PM
Magma Engineering makes one I use for subsonic 9mm. It has no lube groove and we use hi-tech coating. Very pleased with the combination. PM me and I will send you some to try.

fredj338
01-23-2019, 03:59 PM
I don't think I saw what gun this was going in but I went with the Saeco #910 4cav. Yes spendy but I got a discount coupon at a match & it is now my go to 147gr for all my 9mm stuff.