PDA

View Full Version : Lee Lead Hardness Tester Kit

iraiam
11-07-2015, 05:28 PM
I have the Lee lead hardness testing kit. It's accurate, I can mix known alloys and perform the test and it always comes out exactly where I expect it to be so I trust it's accuracy.

I really don't like the way you have to file a flat spot on a cast item to do the test though, I always file outside in the driveway because those little lead filings will never go away. So I ordered a Lee 2 cavity blank mold kit. I'm going to cut a couple holes that fit the holder in the kit and have a flat spot on the top. This will do away with the filing and make setup a snap as you will have the same size chunk to test every time.

This is what I had in mind.

williamwaco
11-07-2015, 06:14 PM
How 'bout an old spoon?

bangerjim
11-07-2015, 06:24 PM
That is just ONE of the MANY reasons I did not like and do not use my Lee tester any longer.

With the Cabine, you can test anywhere. On a boolit, on an ingot, at your bench, at the scrap yard, at a buddies house, in the dark if you want! Save the money for another mold, sell your Lee on here and buy a CabineTree Tester.

bangerjim

iraiam
11-07-2015, 08:57 PM
I had not heard of the Cabine tester until now, it looks like an awfully handy tool, but at a $160 it's going to have to go on the wish list for now, I already spent my upgrade money on the new furnace. I've got a few hundred pounds of lead alloys that need dealt with.

I looked up Cabine Tree and found that they have apparently sold that part of the business off, now it comes from here http://www.cowboybullets.com/Lead-Tester-INTERNATIONAL_p_74.html

bangerjim
11-07-2015, 11:00 PM
He sold off the Cabine rights to that new company I guess. Still looks like the same quality tool. Really nice. many guys on here have and use it.

If you can afford one, you will not be sorry!

I put a digital indicator on mine for dead-on accuracy. No guesswork when reading 0.790.

I use mine almost every day.

bangerjim

Retumbo
11-08-2015, 09:03 AM
For a lead scrounger like me I love my Lee....do this with your CT :)

Motard
11-08-2015, 11:31 AM
I have been comparing the Lee tester's resoults with a set of drawing pencils. The reading is outstanding constat and it perfectly compare to the hardness pencil's chart I found on this same forum. So if I am in harry, or I must test too much boolits, or I am at at the scrap field, I only bring some pencils with me and a magnifier. So a three bucks set of koo-i-noor and a the Lee tester are an affordable combo.
ps. If you make yourself an holder capable of fixing the Lee Microscope to the press and let the bullett in his craddle Youll' find readings muc more easier

therealhitman
11-08-2015, 03:15 PM
I have mine adjusted to the correct height for a FRN .452 in a spare Dillon toolhead (with my universal decapper and a spare powder die). I just water quench a boolit from the melt, test with it setting on the shell holder plate. No filing, quick and easy. Consistent results that are usually very close even after sizing and/or aging.

therealhitman
11-08-2015, 10:09 PM
If you make yourself an holder capable of fixing the Lee Microscope...

On a trip to the toy store I picked up a $7 microscope kit, then gutted and re-purposed it for the tester...

ukrifleman
11-10-2015, 12:56 PM
153026This is my no cost method of keeping the microscope steady with my Lee BHN tester.

ukrifleman.

SSGOldfart
11-10-2015, 01:28 PM
For a lead scrounger like me I love my Lee....do this with your CT :)

Nice picture and a very good idea

montana_charlie
11-10-2015, 02:30 PM
I had not heard of the Cabine tester until now,
If you mix a pound of tin with 20 pounds of lead, your Lee tool will tell you it has a hardness of 7.8 BHN.
If you test that same alloy on the Cabine Tree, the penetration will cross reference to a reading of '10' on the accompanying chart.

The Lee tells you what the Brinell hardness is while the CT tells you what the chart says it is.
Which one are you going to believe?

Motard
11-12-2015, 03:02 AM
no idea. but as I have read pencils method is considered reliable in some industry. pencils an Leey have been telling me same in the few tests I have done

Sent from my C6903 using Forum Fiend v1.3.3.