PDA

View Full Version : Lead analysis just in WOW

zomby woof
11-07-2015, 05:27 PM
Pb = 53.7% Sb = 24.5% Sn = 14.8% Cu = 7% Just got my results in from BNE. Bought about 900LBS of lead off Craigslist from an old timer getting out of casting 3 years ago. He told me it was WW he smelted 30 years earlier. It always tested harder than Lino. I would mix a little with WW and it always made beautiful rifle boolits. Now I know why. It was about 700 lbs out of the 900. The rest was pure and mixed. It was all in ingots and cost me $400. What a deal.

DeadWoodDan
11-07-2015, 05:35 PM
BNE? curious if others can send in samples to have checked?

nagantguy
11-07-2015, 05:50 PM
Yes he has an advertisement in S&S, nice guy, quick service, fast turn around time.

Walla2
11-07-2015, 06:31 PM
What is S&S?

Budzilla 19
11-07-2015, 06:40 PM
Walla 2, S&S stands for swapping and selling, a part of this forum. Go there and just cruise around, you might find something you can't live without! Seriously, though, it's a great part of this forum. You will enjoy it for sure. All kinds of stuff for sale there.

garandsrus
11-07-2015, 09:47 PM
I would be interested in buying 20 lbs or so of your alloy if you want to sell any. I could trade pure or monotype for it also.

thanks,
john

rockrat
11-07-2015, 09:58 PM
Also could use about 25 lbs of that stuff. Have monotype and linotype

lightman
11-08-2015, 12:38 PM
Zombie woof's analysis is pretty close to foundry type. That old caster must have forgotten what he had, or maybe he never knew. One of my first lead scores when I first started casting was a load of mixed type. Not knowing any better, I cast bullets with it for a while. It made a purty bullet too, but talk about hard to size!

I got my analysis back this week also, and I had a little surprise or two. Got me to thinking that I got a sample mixed up, or something.

bangerjim
11-08-2015, 01:55 PM
You are talkin' type metal there.........NOT WW's! He just forgot what he had.

Use accordingly in the free alloy calculator available on here now that you know the exact % make-up! I would hang onto all of it if I were you. You will never find that good of an alloy again these days as most of that good old type is long gone. I have over 800# of it in original type drawers that I use with my 4 printing presses and hot foil stamping machines. It will NEVER get melted down. Ever. I have it going to a museum upon my departure from this rat race.

banger

banger

garandsrus
11-08-2015, 04:29 PM
It's not type metal. The reason I would be interested in some is because of the copper content. Type metal shouldn't contain any and this alloy shows 7%

bangerjim
11-08-2015, 05:04 PM
Some foundries back in the day must have added Cu for "toughness" because I have some with 5-6% Cu. But is it what it is. That is the nice thing about getting an x-ray read, rather than asking us "what is this metal?" and relying on our crystal medium balls. The OP has valuavble info there.

It could some form of special bearing babbitt? Who knows? Who cares? He has his analysis!

banger

Mike W1
11-08-2015, 05:53 PM
BNE? curious if others can send in samples to have checked?

PM him which is what you'll end up doing anyhow. BNE is his handle and he'll get back to you. It's easier than going back through all the S&S threads unless you're lucky and there was some activity recent enough to get that thread back to the top.

lightman
11-08-2015, 08:25 PM
I have some info that shows type metal containing copper, although not that much.

P Flados
11-08-2015, 10:13 PM
BNE charges one pound of lead per sample. The thread is:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?288520-WTT-XrF-analysis-for-Pb

RogerDat
11-10-2015, 07:54 PM
Nice part is BNE does not require that the 1 lb. of lead as payment be the same lead as the sample. So you can ship him 5 lbs. of WW lead in ingots to have him test 5 BB sized samples of printers lead, pewter, or solder in order to know the exact alloy mix.