PDA

View Full Version : Powder prices

Bullfrog
11-07-2015, 11:33 AM
Went to Bass Pro last night to look around and bought a pound of powder for a new reloader at work. I am shocked that it has gone up another 10 dollars per pound in less than a year. They got 34 bucks a pound on average with some others ranging from 28 on up. I guess a sign of the times, but 6 dollars on the primers made me want to puke on the floor.

GRUMPA
11-07-2015, 12:03 PM
I just went into the bigger town yesterday, stopped at a smaller gun store that I only went to 1x in the past. Found out why I went there only 1x after looking at the prices of things. $40Lb for 3031 and $39 per K for CCI primers. I looked in there used gun rack and saw a Remington in 250 Savage that peeking my curiosity till I saw the price tag, either $699 or $799, I can't remember which.

Went to the newly opened Sportsmans Warehouse and got Win primers there for $34 per K and although they have powder, it's all in the back room and I couldn't find a price on there powder chart.

To me it's the new norm for prices, and I'm real thankful I cast.

Hickok
11-07-2015, 12:14 PM
I finally found a pound of Unigue in a small store and paid $31 and some tax.

Seemed high, but I needed it.

dragon813gt
11-07-2015, 12:53 PM
So those prices are new for you? I only ask because the Bass Pro by me was charging that Pre Sandy Hook. I know the prices here are more money. Powder Valley prices have never been a reality at the local level.

Most shops charge between $23-$28 per pound depending on what it is. VV powders are $30-$38. And there are the exceptions like Varget. One store charges $34 for it. My biggest issue is that there is no break for buying an 8# keg. So that $25 a pound powder is $200 a keg.

Prices have barely changed here. So that means in areas it has there is some reason for it.

Idaho Mule
11-07-2015, 12:56 PM
I got lucky the other day and got 2 lbs. of 2400 at a store in Lewiston for 19.95/lb. I woulda bought more but that is all they had, I even got their "display" jug. JW

Bullfrog
11-07-2015, 12:58 PM
I saw a jug of new 223 at a 1000 round count selling for 179.00 and almost fell over also.

Larry Gibson
11-07-2015, 01:08 PM
Prices should be going down in most all but the major chains (Cabela's, Bass Pro, etc.). Local gun show last weekend had powder (fairly good selection) going for $25 a pound. Winchester primers were going for $30 - 35 and CCIs for a couple bucks less.

Maybe the prepers and other hoarders have enough stashed?

Larry Gibson

Bullfrog
11-07-2015, 01:10 PM
Just in time for an election year to start the scare again. That and the gun sales are taking off again with the morons spouting confiscation.

leadman
11-07-2015, 01:15 PM
I bought some Alliant 300 MP recently and it was $23 for a pound at Sportsmans Warehouse in north Phoenix. Bought some Sellier & Bellior large rifle primers from Cabela's also for $20 per thousand.
Prices do seem to be coming down but will never get back to what I paid in 2002 for a 1000 WLR primers I recently finished off, $12.99.

bangerjim
11-07-2015, 06:33 PM
Hillbillary scare setting in already!

Primers (GOOD ones, not S&B's) are actually down locally.......$30/1K is better than the $38-44 they were a year ago.

Powders seem to be about the same as a couple years ago here. And much more pistol powder showing up! I still don't buy it. Saw 12# of Unique and let it lay. Hate that stuff.

Handloader109
11-07-2015, 06:35 PM
Well, I thought about a pound of H110 at the bass pro. Shelf marked. $27.99. Loved closer and it was on the wrong shelf. . 32.99. Nah, I've got plenty. . And I could have bought a lit of powder at the local gs last week below 25.00.

shooter93
11-07-2015, 07:32 PM
Pound prices seem up but a couple weeks ago at a small gun show here I bought 8 lbs. of Unique for 159.00 bucks out the door. He had a few other 8 lb. jugs but in powders I don't use. I've been trying to really narrow down my powders so I can buy it all in 8 lb. jugs. My experimenting with all the different powders are over....it's time to shoot all I can simply for the enjoyment.

tja6435
11-07-2015, 07:36 PM
Cabelas had S&B primers on sale for $21.99/1k. It was like a small slice of heaven until I depleted my wallet on them. But you don't see prices that good on any primers these days around here.

Houndog
11-07-2015, 07:40 PM
I bought Unique today at a local gun show for $22.00 out the door and CCI primers for $29.00K including tax and they had plenty!

JeffinNZ
11-07-2015, 08:42 PM
It's a great advert for shooting cast bullets over thrifty doses of Unique and such ain't it?

How on earth to folk afford to feed .50 BMGs?

Plate plinker
11-07-2015, 09:00 PM
It's a great advert for shooting cast bullets over thrifty doses of Unique and such ain't it?

The Big 50 is a rich mans game.

Primers today at shipshewana gun show $28.99 per 1000 was the low. Powder mostly around 30-31$ a pound no discount for #8 jugs either. Seems you need to find the right vendor to score a deal on quantity. I need to find that guy again.:|

yancey
11-08-2015, 12:28 AM
Cabelas had S&B primers on sale for $21.99/1k. It was like a small slice of heaven until I depleted my wallet on them. But you don't see prices that good on any primers these days around here.

I also picked up a few of the S&B primers from Cabelas for the same price today . I even noticed some of their powder prices are better than my LGS down the Road.

MaryB
11-08-2015, 12:37 AM
Ordered from Powder Valley last week. 8 pound jugs of CFE223 were $146, I use a lot of this so got 2. Added on an 8 pound jug of CFE Pistol to try out and 1,000 CCI #41 primers to make the hazmat fee worth it.

MT Gianni
11-08-2015, 01:16 AM
I have seen powder prices drop over the last 18 months. Bought some pistol powders recently for $22.95 a lb.

30Carbine
11-08-2015, 11:52 AM
Yesterday while at cabelas picked up tite group 20.99 a pound. Was kind of shocked to see it this low and they didn't have a limit on how much you can get. I may have went over my allowance yesterday but the wife didn't seem to mind. they also had clays for 18.99 a pound and W231 for 18.99 a pound which I almost had a stroke, I have not seen those two in almost 2 years here almost forgot what it looked like.

FISH4BUGS
11-08-2015, 02:28 PM
So those prices are new for you? I only ask because the Bass Pro by me was charging that Pre Sandy Hook. I know the prices here are more money. Powder Valley prices have never been a reality at the local level.

Not true.The best way to buy from PV is by the case. You find some friends that burn up a lot of powder and split a case 1, 2 3, or 4 ways. Even a case of pound cans will be a decent deal. You add Hazmat and freight, and you can get powder at reasonable prices. You have to check their website at least 4 times a day to stay on top of it. Stuff comes in and it goes very quickly. They prefer you to order on line because the inventory is more accurate.
I split a case of 748 8 lb jugs and a case of 231 4 4 lb jugs with some fellow loaders.
Split it up and you and your friends have a stash without getting your eyeballs screwed out. Example: 8 lb jug of 748 at about $160 TYD. I don't recall how much the 231 was, but I was happy.
Best way to buy powder and primers on the planet.

dragon813gt
11-08-2015, 02:48 PM
Not true.

I am completely confused? You quoted me and then went on about Powder Valley. I stated that Powder Valley prices have never existed at a local level. I never said not to, or how to order from them. Did you mean to quote me?

Mackay Sagebrush
11-08-2015, 04:40 PM
I personally have a modest assortment of components, but some rifles, with their specific loads, I am short on. Personally I tend to buy in bulk, as a stalwart against ever increasing prices. I guess as things go, I will have to adapt to shooting some loads, using less than ideal powder bullet combinations, if I want to continue shooting on a semi regular basis.

With that said, handgunning is a major part of my recreational activities, and I am G2G for quite a while there.

FISH4BUGS
11-09-2015, 08:47 AM
I am completely confused? You quoted me and then went on about Powder Valley. I stated that Powder Valley prices have never existed at a local level. I never said not to, or how to order from them. Did you mean to quote me?

Sorry for the confusion. I took your remark to say that you can't buy power locallty at Powder Valley prices. I disagreed because if you buy at the case size direct from PV and with the Hazmat and freight, it is usually around what the LGS charges, most times it is less.

dragon813gt
11-09-2015, 08:54 AM
Sorry for the confusion. I took your remark to say that you can't buy power locallty at Powder Valley prices. I disagreed because if you buy at the case size direct from PV and with the Hazmat and freight, it is usually around what the LGS charges, most times it is less.

Even w/ HazMat and shipping it's cheaper if I buy from Powder Valley. One eight pounder equals the price locally. Buy a couple more and the price per pound keeps dropping.

So basically if PV lists 8# at $120 I'm paying $200 locally. That $120 price doesn't exist locally.

salpal48
11-09-2015, 09:12 AM
I have gone to several Local shop in mY area North east . and the prices are High. There seems to be a Big shortage On Old price Components ( Powder & primers).. Now there Is no shortage on New high priced stuff. again in my area, Retailer Frankly are Not In Business , investing There time and money for you to enjoy Your Hobby. The price of store rentals, Inventory, Gas & electric are putting a lot of small places out of business.
This Is just like the so called Gas shortage, you will pay and pay . If you don't want to pay don't shoot

destrux
11-09-2015, 02:46 PM
My closest local shop stopped carrying powder since the shortage. I don't really go to the other local shops since Cabela's has some of just about everything in stock. It's about $4 a pound higher than Powder Valley's prices before shipping and hazmat. I don't mind paying a little more since I don't have any friends that reload and when I buy a gun that needs a new powder I don't want to wait to lump it with a new order (I only burn about 5 pounds a year since 5.56 loaded ammo dropped in price so much). Plus I like walking around the place. It's like Disneyland.

sparky45
11-09-2015, 02:55 PM
Ordered from Powder Valley last week. 8 pound jugs of CFE223 were $146, I use a lot of this so got 2. Added on an 8 pound jug of CFE Pistol to try out and 1,000 CCI #41 primers to make the hazmat fee worth it.
Mary's got the right idea, and I to order from PV. Good thing is I don't have to pay a hazmat fee cause the business is only 40 miles away and I pick up when I go shopping for other stuff.

salpal48
11-09-2015, 05:33 PM
I really don't Know about Powder Valley , Never ourchased from Them. Most Local Business. Gun shops, small supplies, basicly Mom &Pop. have to actually Buy and Lay out the Money and store Inventory. If it sells it sells . If it sit's . Your stuck.. Now what Large store Have . Cabellas, Home depot , walmart , Target , all do Business Under the Fulfillment Umbrella. and In store OPEN Receipt.. The Individual Company stock shelves, monitor Inventory, and Pay all these Co Rental for shelf space. . When The Item sells . Upon payment part of Your payment is deducted from the open Receipt. every Big store work on this method . Car dealer, super markets . all of them.. Most don't pay for inventory Most do not Pay rent. Most if not all. are given Tax abatement for 10-20,30, years and Pay no property tax. The trade off is they provide Minium wage Jobs to local people. the wort part of that That Square Footage That the Building Is On . is passed to and divided between the Local Tax payer. . I was In that business for 30 years. Everyone wins But you
Sal

MaryB
11-09-2015, 11:19 PM
Depends on the mom and pop, appliance stores bring in inventory on credit and only pay interest for 90-180 days. If it doesn't sell they can either pay off the piece then or send it back and take the interest loss.

My LGS gave up on getting powder in. It is all going to the big retailers and little was trickling down to him.

Mica_Hiebert
11-10-2015, 02:42 PM
I got lucky the other day and got 2 lbs. of 2400 at a store in Lewiston for 19.95/lb. I woulda bought more but that is all they had, I even got their "display" jug. JW

Which store? if you dont mind me asking... I was going to say o.p. got raped! $25 is norm round here 19.95 is good to go!

gwpercle
11-10-2015, 02:51 PM
I hate the " New Normal "...all of it !

paul h
11-10-2015, 03:05 PM
Powder seems to be running $25-30/lb which I consider reasonble, the trouble is fast powders are still unobtanium. Primers are running $32-40/1000 which is also reasonable.

I'd love to just order 50#'s from Powder Valley (max for a single haz mat charge) trouble is they also don't have much available in the faster burning powders.

bangerjim
11-10-2015, 03:39 PM
~$19/pound in 4# bottles..............ETR7. My "go to" powder for everything these days. Load data similar to TiteGroup. A universal powder like Unique but not dirty and filthy like Unique.

Can't beat that price! Cleanest burning powder I have ever used. It, coupled with PC and there is barely anything left to clean out of my guns these days! More time to cast, load, & shoot!

banger

bruce drake
11-23-2015, 10:17 PM

I usually find that those that shoot 50BMG rifles in the civilian world have several common factors. Too much money for their own good (explains the purchase of the rifle in the first place) and usually an intense desire to compensate for something in lacking in themselves.

Our gunclub recently had to remind and then rescind the membership to two of our members for shooting their new 50BMG Ar single-shot uppers at our 100 yard range. The berms weren't designed for that cartridge and if there is ever a need for us to be using a 50BMG rifle, there will M2s already out on the battlefield for them to draw and fire (the two are a touch paranoid in my opinion regarding the US Govt and the UN).
The two were both warned by our Safety Officer on a Saturday in September and then was caught shooting the same rifles on a Tuesday morning within the same week. During the weekends, our club is open for non-members to visit for potential membership opportunities but during the weekdays its closed with a key lock on the gate for members only so they didn't just drive by and swing in to take a shot or two. They had to make sure they brought their access key.

In fairness though, we did tell them they could petition for entry in the club again next year (Jan 1) if they showed us cast loads for those rifles in the future although I'm not sure I would like to shoot a "plinker" 50BMG cartridge either! Considering that both were shooting Hornady A-Max commercial boxed ammo (about $5 a shell!) and I've never seen them bring reloads to the table for their other rifles (tons of russian surplus 7.63x54R and 5.45x39 and Wolf 223 Rem) I doubt they'll be back. I also have heard from a friend of mine about two new members at his home club that he met last week. Seems like my III-Percenter Militia folks have paid that club's membership dues (almost 5 times ours) so that they could use that club's range (that club's backstop is a hill and it actually has a 300 yard range that they can better use their rifles) Yep, still shooting store-boughts according to my friend. He said they shot nearly 40 shots apiece with those rifles. That's more than $200 in ammo downrange in a couple of hours...

Dolton916
11-24-2015, 02:55 AM
I wish it only cost $200 to go to the range!

RogerDat
11-24-2015, 03:29 AM
I was at Mason Gun show last weekend (lucky I went Friday before the big snow on Sat.) Reloaders World was there and Jerry had Universal, Titegroup and at least a couple of other pistol powders. I did not pay a lot of attention to the pistol as I'm G2G on pistol for the time being. I was there for the good assortment of rifle powder ranging from from H110 to 4350 speeds and pretty much everything in between was covered with one variety or another.

Alliant was scarce but he had IMR, AA, VV, and Hodgdon in good supply at prices mostly in the mid $20's. Picked up some Varget and BL-C(2). Primers were running $35 for CCI which is pretty normal around here. Was one of the older boxes with a $32.50 price so saved a couple bucks on that box.

Saw at least 1 other vendor with an assortment of powder but his prices were running around $28 and I had what I came for. In the past I have ordered powder & primers online but you do need to divide the shipping and hazmat by the number of pounds and add that to the price. If you can order 24 lbs. then your only adding about $1.50 per pound in fees and shipping. Of course that much powder is going to run around $500 and that assumes you can find three 8# jugs you want at the same time in the same store. Tough to do with some powders. Personally I don't want 8# of "it might work" just to get the order to a good price point.