PDA

View Full Version : Rossi 351 fun

Kilroy08
11-07-2015, 09:53 AM
After experiencing the joys of the J frame a couple of weeks ago, I ended up with a Rossi 351 yesterday. The guys at the local shop were pretty cool, the manager gave me a military discount. Out the door with a speed loader for $275.

I'm blaming this one on my little brother. He picked up an older Lady Rossi (M88) just about new in box. We proceeded to plink away and discovered it was unusually fun to shoot. He feels smugly superior as his is nickle plated and came with the Rossi equivalent of a Crown Royal bag for the gun to luxuriate in when not being shot.

Overall, the gun is decently finished. My only gripe is a couple screw holes on the lock plate hadn't been deburred properly. They aren't anywhere where I'd get cut handling it; however, as a machinist, it irritates me a bit. Come on people, shop class 101: deburr your dang parts!

I'd like to get a smaller set of grips for it. Problem is, there's a hole in the frame covered by the factory grips. Does anybody know what purpose it serves? I might end up making my own grips or just getting a set for a square butt J frame and making a plug for the hole.

I'll be shooting it today, obligatory range pictures might follow.

Final rant. When did .38 Special get so dang expensive? Both the local gun shop and the Cabelas down the road had plain old target ammo priced at $25-30 per box! Good thing I have a preponderance of brass. I was just caught short as my inventory of .38 Special was dangerously low. Guess I'll be spending some quality time with my Dillon 550.

I did snag a bag of Winchester 110 grain JHPs while I was out and about. They do seem to bear more than a passing resemblance to the ones used in the Treasury load. Guess I'll sort out some nickle plated brass with WCC +P headstamps and load up some ammo with them.

Tackleberry41
11-07-2015, 10:58 AM
They don't have files in Brazil apparently, they don't deburr anything at Rossi.

runfiverun
11-07-2015, 05:08 PM
Rossi ain't even a company anymore.
Taurus bought them the day I quit buying them.

Kilroy08
11-07-2015, 10:03 PM
They don't have files in Brazil apparently, they don't deburr anything at Rossi.

They don't have files, yet they can make stuff for Mitutoyo down there. Imagine my disappointment when I bought a Mitutoyo micrometer and it said made in Brazil on it instead of made in Japan.

Enough crotchety semi old machinist griping. Today's range session was somewhat abbreviated. A light drizzle began as I got unpacked. Refusing to be deterred, I put 50 rounds through the gun. Not only does it go bang, it also puts bullets reasonably close to where I want them.

It took two seconds with a screw driver and a hand made scraper to knock the burr off. Take the screw out, hit the burr, and replace the screw.

Final verdict, It's worth the money I paid for it. If the weather wasn't so bad, I would have taken a few pictures.

If it makes you guys feel any better, I did load up some very nicely cast 125 grain bullets for it today.

dubber123
11-07-2015, 10:27 PM
I did a bit of loading for a bosses .357 Rossi years ago. I was pleasantly surprised at the nice trigger, decent fitting, and good accuracy. I don't know how well the new ones are made since Taurus took over, but I would count yourself lucky if you got a good one, which it sounds like you did. Enjoy!

FergusonTO35
11-08-2015, 02:12 PM
I've been looking at the Rossi snubnose .357's for awhile, seems like they would make a dandy Detective Special on a budget. The older ones were questionable but everyone I know who has a new one is quite happy with it. What boolit weight do these prefer?