PDA

View Full Version : Dunbar Powder Measure

Pressman
11-07-2015, 09:32 AM
Grasslander contacted me about posting a picture of the Dunbar powder measure. He had known that it existed. It is not commonly seen but its counterpart, the Herter's Model 39 is very common.

Who made the measure and where is still an unknown. I seriously doubt that Dunbar made it as they sold just a single model. Herter's sold it for years, even after they dropped their Model 9 H press. They also sold two models, the 39 and the 243 also pictured here. The same basic measure using a B&M type drop tube was also sold by Herter's as the Model 41.

It is the proliferation of Herter's variants that lead me to think that Dunbar bought theirs, as did Herter's from a third party source.

They are good measures, the powder chambers are smell in diameter but I have found them to be very accurate and repeatable. The base is held on with two #12 machine screws making it easily removed. The Dunbar base is designed to clamp to the front edge of a shelf. It is a well thought out design that appears to be a fore runner of some of today's more popular measures.

Herter's never offered this base. Preferring instead a massively over engineered casting that clamped to the front edge of the bench. The 243 pictured below was made to fit their Model 243 turret press.

So, who, what, where, and when still remain to be answered. Nothing seems to be in print in the older catalogs, magazines, Gun Digest that mentions this measure. It only deepens the mysterious connection between Dunbar and Herter's in the early days.

Ken

Messy bear
11-07-2015, 09:44 AM
Interesting. Love the old equipment. Thanks for posting. Messy

1989toddm
11-07-2015, 10:08 AM
Just found this since seeing your pics pressman.
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=181922924817
Is it the Herters version of the Dunbar?

Pressman
11-07-2015, 11:33 AM
1989 it is, Model 39 but it is in sad shape. Look at the sellers other items, he has one of the rare Tecto measures listed.

Ken

1989toddm
11-07-2015, 12:31 PM
Boy that Tecto sure looks nifty! Very interesting, simple design. Would not be too hard to copy if I had the time.

Grasslander
11-07-2015, 12:39 PM
Thanks for posting the pics, Pressman. I hadn't seen one before.

The Dunbar and the Herters do share quite a resemblance. I wonder who the third party manufacturer was....?

Did Dunbar offer any other items like powder scales, trimmers, tricklers, etc....?

The Tecto is sure interesting as well. The powder throw adjustment is unique. I thought it was going to be like a Belding & Mull when I first started scrolling through the photos,
but the metal measuring tube looks integral to the measure. I bet it would clean up almost like new.

This is one that you sure don't see every day. Pretty cool. Hope someone here gets it, and lets us know how well it works.

LUBEDUDE
11-07-2015, 06:15 PM
Great information, thanks for posting Ken! :)