PDA

View Full Version : to tap or not to tap?

bushka
04-11-2008, 10:05 AM
that is the ongoing question in my mind for my 1878 borchardt military 45/70.

put a tang sight on her like she meant to be.no not mint,maybe 70pct cond.,
but accurate 1.5moa@ 100yds with those military sights and Brooks boolit.

really,what devaluation for 2 tapped holes that could be construed as an asset in this type of riffle?

another less invasive approach,I gander,is to attatch a spare windgage front via a
clamp on barrel band,but windage isnt the prob., or somehow put an eyedisc on the rear ladder?

thoughts?

B

montana_charlie
04-11-2008, 11:20 AM
really,what devaluation for 2 tapped holes that could be construed as an asset in this type of riffle?
If you are one who cannot stand to change an original, I see your dilemma. But, the pleasure of using a good tang sight would probably mask your guilty concience.

As to devaluation, how much is the gun worth without holes...and how much with holes? Will the difference cause your financial ruin?

And another thought from waaaayyy outside the box...

I once bought some neodymium magnets to replace the 'vacuum base' on a roof-mounted revolving spotlight for my pickup.
These magnets are amazingly strong...so strong that letting two get near each other can be disastrous.

They come in a variety of shapes and sizes...including some very large ones.

So...What about carving a neodymium magnet into a base for a tang sight?
CM

August
04-11-2008, 11:22 AM
I figgered long ago that any gun I couldn't shoot -- dependably and accurately -- had zero value to me.

Johnw...ski
04-11-2008, 02:38 PM
Unless it's a rare and priceless collectors piece tap it. The rifle will be more useful to you and you will enjoy it more.

John