PDA

View Full Version : Henry 45-70

glockky
11-05-2015, 10:07 PM
Who has one of the Henry 45-70's? How do they shoot cast bullets? I hear they have a very tight bore. Any info would be appreciated thanks

glockky
11-07-2015, 09:18 PM
Take it these are not very popular

Ramjet-SS
11-07-2015, 09:33 PM
They shoot cast fine but you have to really watch your O.A.L. (i.e. short)

I had great success with a 355 Grain LNF mold from accurate.

FergusonTO35
11-08-2015, 02:03 PM
They are fine rifles. I just think that people tend to forget about them in their zeal for JM Marlins and USA made Winchesters.

Parson
11-09-2015, 02:28 AM
Didn't like tube fed 22's as a kid, don't like tube fed 45-70's as an adult. There have been numerous problems and complaints about the tube, all can be corrected but for me not worth the trouble when I can by something easier to feed like Marlin, reproduction Winchester etc 

10mmShooter
11-13-2015, 05:54 PM
Glocky I have Henry's in .44 and .357 and love them. This sub forum, leverguns, doesn't have the traffic that the other sub-forums have, so it may take longer for an answer. My general opinion is that as lot of the members fuss about the tube mag on the Henrys, and go on about the side loaders.

Franky I could care less, I like my Henry's because they are US made(even though NJ is not in the USA :), have great customer service and fit and finish is great. If I really worried how I would load it, well I'll grab my AR or my M1a.

Kinda funny, I would hope I'm never caught in a tactical situation where method of reloading my lever gun would come into pay. That's why the M1a is never far away:)

glockky
11-13-2015, 09:04 PM
I agree the tube doesn't bother me. I am more worried about accuracy. What kind of groups will the Henry 44 mag shoot?

Motard
11-14-2015, 07:21 AM
I have had it and still need to erase from my signature list. Rifle was fine made, very nice wallnut stock, deep bluing steel. Had the known issue with the magazine bending and cracking af under recoil. Mr Imoperato, who run's one of the best customer service I am avare, sent me replacemente parts twice for free: ultrafast international shipping. But the problem couldn'be correct if not sending back the rifle to Factory: the new mags have whole different fixing sistem: no more barrel band but a dowel insert. So I givit up and then bought a Marlin SBL. I sludged mine 11,58 mm .455 cal. It was a fine shooter either with casts 385 RN GC or Lyman 400 FNFB and Lee 400 HB. This last mould drops 425/427 gr with my Alloy and is my best shot. 153270

HeavyLoad
11-14-2015, 08:27 AM
I have a Henry 45-70 & so far it shoots everything fine. It's the one with the semi buckhorn rear sight not the ghost ring or barrel band.
My problem with this gun is the ramp on the rear sight keeps sliding to the lowest setting under recoil.
I contacted Henry & they are sending me a new sight. But I don't know it that is the problem. I think it is the ramp design, it doesn't have deep enough grooves for the sight to fit it. I'll have to wait & see.
I also went ahead & ordered a Marbles 68 buckhorn. I think this rifle will look better with the full buckhorn rear sight & hopefully fix my problem. Other then the sight no problems here.
i kinda like the looks of the big mag tube. But I know people have complained about slow reloading. I have to say it'll hold 5 in the tube & one in the chamber, not the 4 in the tube it advertises. If you can't hit & kill what ever your shooting at with 6rnds. of 45-70 you better give up.