PDA

View Full Version : correct lock size?

nekshot
11-05-2015, 12:27 PM
For a few years I want to make a flintlock buggy/ saddle gun and left handed of course. I think a lock for a pistol would look better on a smaller type of gun but what would the consequence for that be. I have a 54 cal barrel for it or I could use a 16 ga barrel I have stashed. Any input?

gnoahhh
11-05-2015, 12:44 PM
I started thinking "Becky lock" (from RE Davis) but then realized a tiny lock would look strange up against a big barrel.

Omnivore
11-05-2015, 02:14 PM
No doubt it could be done, but there are issues. I'd call Track of the Wolf and ask to speak with a technician on flintlock gun building. Pistols are built in large calibers using small locks, after all.

waksupi
11-05-2015, 03:20 PM
The Becky locks are kinda cute, but you have a shorter throw, so sparking won't be quite as reliable. If you went that route, I would highly recommend buying all the spare parts you may need sometime in the future. Things break, companies go out of business, and craftsmen die.

For smaller applications, I like the Chambers Small Queen Anne lock. They have worked very well for me on several rifles and pistols.

nekshot
11-05-2015, 04:53 PM
yes I like theChamber small queen ann, and it appears some locks now you can get a safety as an upgrade (at least I think thats what that was)? Now I got to find that Becky lock to look at.