PDA

View Full Version : Good idea/bad idea: using a BBQ grill?/newbie question

Russel Nash
04-11-2008, 12:28 AM
Hi all,

Bear with me for a few more minutes for my newbie-ish questions.

My X-girlfriend gave me her old Charbroil Commercial series gas grill.

She had kinda let it go. She didn't cover it up while it was outside and when I picked it up yesterday, birds had built one heck-uva nest in it.

If you're really, really inclined you can read up on Charbroil grills here:

http://www.charbroil.com/Consumer/product_detail_m.aspx?ProductSeriesID=32

The three main burners on the inside work and so does the warming plate off to the side.

According to the link the main burners put out 50,000 BTU's, which I guess would be more than enough to melt lead in a cast iron dutch oven to turn into ingots.

But, how about the warming burner off to the left, at only 13,000 BTU's?

Would that work?

I was thinking about re-using the BBQ grill for food (after I clean it out really well :roll: ), but I'm thinking that most of you are going to say "DON'T DO THAT! BAD IDEA!!" because of the possibility of ingesting lead, even if I could use the warming plate and kept the main BBQ grill's lid closed.

So, I guess a better solution would be to use one of those camping burners from Bass Pro or a turker fryer from say like Harbor Freight.

I do have one of those knock off Coleman camping stoves, but according to the true Coleman website here:

http://www.coleman.com/coleman/ColemanCom/subcategory.asp?CategoryID=2010

Just one of those burners is going to put out 11,000 BTU's.

I do have an adapter for it so I can use the big tank off the BBQ grill, instead of those little (expensive) cans.

Thanks!

garandsrus
04-11-2008, 08:58 AM
I have used a coleman stove with propane to smelt wheel weights and it works, but takes a while to melt. You are better off getting a turkey fryer...

John

lathesmith
04-12-2008, 06:29 PM
Russel, if you just use small (5-10lb) pot, 11-13k btu will work ok, especially if you can use a lid to speed up heating time. With a bigger pot, it's going to be a little light, and might not work well at all in cooler weather.
lathesmith

TAWILDCATT
04-14-2008, 09:32 PM
go to AGRI.com they have a turkey cooker with 12 qt dutch oven at $79.it is well worth as it is shorty and will take the weight better.12 qt will melt 200 lb of lead.
:coffee:--[smilie=1:---:Fire: