PDA

View Full Version : lanolin/crisco/canola oil? can't find recipe

jonp
11-05-2015, 05:45 AM
I thought for sure I read that recipe on here. It does not have beeswax just the ingredients I mentioned in a 50/40/10 ratio I think.

Did I imagine this or is it just that I can't find it?

fryboy
11-05-2015, 07:19 AM
Ewww sounds beyond soft ,as in no body except for the Crisco which has none above say 80-90 F
Sounds like a good patch lube for smokepoles tho
Basic was 45 beeswax,45 crisco, 10 canola which by itself is fairly soft albeit a decent bp lube

jonp
11-05-2015, 08:07 AM
yeah I should have said in my original post that I was looking at black powder lube

fryboy
11-05-2015, 08:29 AM
Some substitute the lanolin for the canola or add it later but per your op it would indeed be some soft stuff with no body
I've pretty much switched to dick dastardly's pearl lube that I added a wee bit of carnuba to ,works great with my huge grooved maxi's as well as smokeless up to mid range levels ( 1/3 each,Crisco, soy wax ,t-bowl ring ) its cheap enough that those maxi's I refer to as " mere loob grooves " don't break the bank lubing them
The 45/45/10 I referred to is in essence emmerts lube,eg; well proven

13Echo
11-05-2015, 08:42 AM
Try Emmert's lube which is Beeswax, crisco (plain, unsalted), and vegetable oil (I use peanut or olive). Some will replace half the oil with lanolin. I don't have the exact ratios on hand but just google. It's about 50% to 40% to 10% by weight. Makes a good BP lube.

Jerry Liles

jonp
11-05-2015, 09:07 AM
Emmerts was what i was leaning towards. The lanolin/crisco had me scratching my head as it seemed like it would be a mess with canola added.

Maybe i read it as used for patch lube.

irishtoo
11-05-2015, 09:34 AM
i dip lube into 60/40 mix of beeswax and olive oil, then size. no leading. beeswax from randyrat on this forum. (.45-70 .460-315gr noe. at apox 1300fps). irishtoo

badge176
11-05-2015, 10:25 AM
Strong second to recommend RandyRat for his Beeswax!

runfiverun
11-05-2015, 11:20 AM
I use a mix of beeswax Crisco and lanolin at about 60/40/and 10%,,,,, yeah I know it's more than 100 but that's how I make it.
a little [tsp to 8oz's of lube] bit of canola or olive oil will give the lube it's final softness and keep it that way over a longer period of time.

jonp
11-05-2015, 06:22 PM
I got my lanolin from RandyRat last year for case lube. Guess I have to give him another bit of business! Thanks for the replies everyone

bangerjim
11-05-2015, 06:43 PM
Would make a good handcreme mabe??????? Not boolit lube.

Get that beeswax in there. Tons of mixes on the net.

Get ahold of RandyRat.

banger

randyrat
11-07-2015, 09:25 AM
I've had good luck with my tweeked Buck Emmerts Black powder lube. I can't give out the exact recipe, but it contains most of the ingredients above mentioned. I tend to run a little more Lanolin in my recipe, because it has the lube qualities that can't be matched.
If you mix up Beeswax, Crisco, Lanolin ...I think if you mix up these ingredients in apportions that are the right hardness for your weather/ Temperature you'll be fine. Use Beeswax for the hardener.

Best to make it slightly softer and save a bit of beeswax for mixing a warm weather batch. Documentation is important according to temperature if you want to duplicate.

Melt the BW first and then add Lanolin last after it has cooled slightly it will work great for you.

toallmy
11-07-2015, 09:45 AM
I mixed up a half gal of Emmerts last winter still using it in 9 357 and 45 yes black powder to. In the heat I melt a couple crayons in . It's the only lube I have tried . I started pan lubing with it then the star luber it just keep going.

Dale53
11-07-2015, 10:22 AM
I shot Black Powder Cartridge Silhouette for 15 years (until my vision went south). SPG worked well but was quite expensive when used in the quantities need for pan lubing. So, a champion shooter of local note gave me a large cake of his lube (it was home made Emmert's). Bud Emmert's original formula was 50% Pure Natural Beeswax, 40% Crisco, and 10 % Canola Oil. It worked extremely well and accuracy was all that could be asked for (using a 20 power scope, shooting off a bench, in front of witnesses, I got six inch groups at 500 yards (Friendship Indiana). The original measurements were by weight. However, I used liquid measurements and it worked well.

However, the lube tended to have less shelf life on the lubed bullets than I liked. I tried different versions and ended up with 50% Pure Natural Beeswax, 40% Crisco, and 10% Anhydrous Lanolin. Shelf life was indefinite and the accuracy was at LEAST as good as the original lube. Definitely an improvement. Further, I like the texture better.

By the way, I mostly pan lubed my big bullets but used the final product in a lube sizer without issue on all of my black powder cartridge revolver cartridges. Incidentally, the lube also works well with smokeless (just like SPG does). I was always careful of my loaded ammo to not leave it in a hot car (heat can get up pretty hot in a closed, parked car when it is 100 degrees outside). Keep in mind, I have had heat induced failures of loaded cast bullets when using NRA 50/50.

Great black powder lube and the costs are really reasonable (becomes a "non-issue").

FWIW
Dale53

13Echo
11-07-2015, 07:52 PM
Dale 53's opinion is worth a lot. Go with it.

jonp
11-08-2015, 09:01 AM
Beeswax, Crisco and Lanolin it is. I ordered some beeswax from Randy so I'll get to mix my first batch up this week. Thanks for everyone's help. I'm not sure where I got the original post formula from but I know I read it somewhere.