PDA

View Full Version : NOE expander plug in the Lee expander die

chrisstophere
11-04-2015, 10:35 PM
So I decided to try this plug out for my cast 300blk rounds but I'm not quite sure how to set it up properly. So far I just put it, screwed the adjuster stem till the plug was seated solidly and then just guessed how far too screw the die body down. I have a feeling that this isn't right though. I searched this site along with some others but turned up nothing.
Does anyone have any experience or advice they can offer?

Thanks in advance.

bdicki
11-04-2015, 11:16 PM
If you look at the plug there is a small section with a larger diameter. That's why they are listed with two diameters. .226 x .222 Exp. Plug (http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/product_info.php?cPath=88&products_id=1111). The larger diameter is to bell the case mouth to prevent the bullet from being scraped while being seated. Adjust the depth to achieve a small amount of case bell. I just feel the case and lower the die until I can feel the bell at the mouth. This also helps to seat the bullet straight. You can see three diameters on the stem in this picture not counting the large diameter at the top, you should be using the lower two.
http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/images/22R-EXP%20001.JPG

chrisstophere
11-04-2015, 11:33 PM
Gotcha. So it should be set deep enough once I feel the case mouth touch that 3rd step then. Guess I'll have to adjust it a bit more. Thanks!

bdicki
11-04-2015, 11:56 PM
Gotcha. So it should be set deep enough once I feel the case mouth touch that 3rd step then. Guess I'll have to adjust it a bit more. Thanks!

No not the third step the second step.
The RCBS cowboy die only has 2 steps. You can see the second step on the NOE plug better in this picture and you can see how deep I have the RCBS expander.
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t182/bdicki/IMG_0801_zpsaxqvze8a.jpg

chrisstophere
11-05-2015, 12:01 AM
Okay, I see now. Thanks a ton for the pictures too. You saved me at least one ruined case.

Doc Highwall
11-05-2015, 12:21 PM
When I set the expander up I use a bullet to check the case mouth for the belling. I will lower the expander and then check to see if the base of the bullet will enter the case mouth, if it does not I will screw the expander down some more and try again. I keep repeating this process until the base of the bullet enters the case mouth about .050".

bdicki
11-05-2015, 02:34 PM
When I set the expander up I use a bullet to check the case mouth for the belling. I will lower the expander and then check to see if the base of the bullet will enter the case mouth, if it does not I will screw the expander down some more and try again. I keep repeating this process until the base of the bullet enters the case mouth about .050".
I basically do the same thing i just feel the case until i feel the bell start and then check it with a bullet.

chrisstophere
11-05-2015, 02:36 PM
I adjusted it this morning doing this and it's working fine. Thanks for all the help.

chrisstophere
11-06-2015, 09:06 AM
Just a follow up, holy **** did this die help. 300blk pills felt like they just slid into place. Previously I was just using the expander ball on the sizing die.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
11-11-2015, 07:39 AM
Gents,

That's some mighty fine technical support there. Chris, I can't add anything to what's been said, but you made the right choice when you bought those NOE expanders to load your cast boolits.