PDA

View Full Version : Tell About A alaskan Scope

smokemjoe
04-10-2008, 10:19 PM
I have a scope that says Leupold Alaskan, 2 1/2 power, 7/8 tube. Can anyone tell me the history on them. Thanks- Joe

John F.
04-11-2008, 12:47 AM
They are from a short run of "nostalgic" scopes Leupold ran in the late 80's/early 90's as I recall. They didn't sell as well as planned, so were on the market only for a few years. Blue steel tubes, good optics, simple adjustments, and had the "retro" look that goes well on older big game rifles. They came in 2.5X, 4X and 6X. I have a 4X and a 6x which I've got on rifles right now, but haven't gotten a 2.5X, or I'd have the whole set! [smilie=1:

They take 7/8" rings, and Leupold marketed special "Alaskan" steel rings for them, which fit the usual turn-in dovetail/rear windage screw Leupold/Redfield/Burris bases.

If for any reason you decide you don't want yours, I'd be interested in possibly buying it.

They are good scopes, just didn't meet most folks' idea of having a Hubble Telescope on top of their rifles! :mrgreen:

John

Hackleback
04-11-2008, 10:25 PM
http://www2.leupold.com/resources/MyInfo81/Answerbook/findanswers.aspx

The Leupold Answer Guide

Alaskan Scopes
Leupold introduced the Alaskan scopes in 1990. All three waterproof scope models feature a Duplex reticle and a 7/8" steel maintube. Alaskan 2.5X Alaskan 4X Alaskan 6X The Alaskan scopes were discontinued in 1991.

Alaskan Scope Repair Policy
The Alaskan scope is warranted for five years from the date of purchase to be free of defects in material and/or workmanship. We stand behind every scope we make, and traditionally have made every effort to be fair to scope owners.

Alaskan Rings
Introduced in 1990. Precision-machined from solid steel, designed to complement the Alaskan scope's traditional blued steel finish. The 7/8"inch Alaskan rings fit any Leupold STD mount base. #44281 - Super Low #44276 - Low #44456 - Medium The Leupold Alaskan 7/8" rings were discontinued in 1992.