PDA

View Full Version : Loading for a Rossi 308

newton
11-04-2015, 09:35 AM
I have a Rossi 308 coming hopefully sooner than later. Going to be a present for my boy. I know, from prior experience in Rossi rifles, that its going to definitely take some load development to get it shooting good. So I'll keep this updated as I go along. My hope is to get it shooting good by Christmas so he can bust some jugs after he opens it.

Anyone give any insight into where I should begin as far as load development goes? I am starting from scratch, never loaded the 308 before. I do have a few 30 cal molds - lee soup can, lee 170 grain fn, and RCBS 180-fn. I think that I'll be getting another mold for it though and if anyone has had a Rossi and found a mold it really likes I would gladly love to hear about it.

From what I can tell internet searching it should have a 1:12 twist. My main goal is having some good mild loads for the near future just to get him trigger time on it. Not that he cannot handle full loads, he is 12 and as big as I am, but he needs to work on gun control and target acquisition first. Plus, light/mild loads will be much easier on the pocket book.

First thing I'll do is slug the barrel and see just how deep the throat is. I know from experience that this is a downside to most Rossi guns, but may allow the use of heavier bullets because I can seat them out further.

Any help is better than no help. Thanks.

newton
11-04-2015, 09:38 AM
FYI, I do have the Lyman book so I will be going off it for reference. Just mainly looking for experience from others.

Powders on hand are Unique, Red Dot, Bullseye, 4350, 4320, H414. I think I might have some other also, but I'll have to check. Regardless, I'll buy a lb(if I can find it) of another if its been proven to work in anothers Rossi. I don't have much time to get to my goal so I am willing to do what it takes.

s mac
11-04-2015, 02:18 PM
I have one of these, the Lee 170 fn seems to suit it just fine. I size at .311.

newton
11-04-2015, 02:41 PM
What kind of groups were you getting with these boolits? Ranges?

That mold was the first one I ever bought. Used it a lot in my 30-30 and in a 30-06 I had. I use another one for my hunting loads now, but use it for all my plinking loads in the 30-30.

Did you have to play around with OAL at all?