PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for concrete counter form

Boolit_Head
11-04-2015, 08:46 AM
Ok I don't have a table saw but I need to make a 15 inch square concrete counter top for a project. So cutting melamine strips seems out. Are there any other materials suitable that might be available in a form that could be cut to length?

farmerjim
11-04-2015, 08:57 AM
1x2 's

cheese1566
11-04-2015, 09:07 AM
When made my concrete topped cart table for my Weber kettle, I used a piece of Formica counter top. For the sides I didn't have enough so I used 3/4" plywood. I oiled them up good with veg oil but I still didn't get a good smooth finish like the Formica.
The inner form for the circle hole the grill set in was plywood, but I wrapped it tight with duct tape then oiled. Worked ok and I wished I lined the plywood sides. Silicone caulk in the edges not only makes a good deal, but gives a rounded finish edge depending how big you go with it.

Heavy sucker and won't blow away in the western SD wind!

bdicki
11-04-2015, 10:03 AM
If your near a Home Depot they will cut/rip it for you.

mozeppa
11-04-2015, 10:05 AM
are you locked into 15"?

they make stepping stones that are square about 16" square.

at lowes , menards, home depot

Boolit_Head
11-04-2015, 10:07 AM
I was not aware that you could oil the wood. I'll have to look into that. I thought the concrete would stick to the raw wood.

I don't think the stepping stone would be sturdy enough for my needs. With the concrete I can put rebar and wire mesh inside.

cptjack
11-04-2015, 10:14 AM
Do not need to cut anything use a piece of ply bigger than you need 24 x24 for example,,,,now take 2 2x4 or what ever is at hand and screw together to form a 90 degrees.one leg is 15",chase the 2x4s around at 15 " now you have 15" square attach square to ply base

country gent
11-04-2015, 10:38 AM
I believe you could cut melanine simply with an old knife sharpen and use the back of the point along a clamped straiaght edge. Like cutting plexi glass. cut a deep groove for a score line and break it off. Tapeing inside edges will form a nice radious on the edges and keep concrete in.When form is laid up and finished give it 2-3 coats of paste wax for a release agent letting it dry between coats. Make sure top edge of form is straight and true and the thicknes you want then excess can be screeded off and a good level surface obtainted. a little work with a trowel as it hardenens and a nice smooth surface is there.

shooter93
11-04-2015, 07:57 PM
The big Box Stores will cut most anything you need as will most any friendly neighborhood carpenter. Clamp an inexpensive straight edge to sheet goods and cut the with a circular saw if you have one or can borrow one.

Plate plinker
11-04-2015, 09:43 PM
Use pink foam board and reinforce is with wood backer. Also I like to seal my corners with silicone before I pour the mold that way you will not have any flash along the edges to deal with.

You don't have a circular saw? If you did you can clamp a straight edge to the work piece to cut a very straight line I do this often at the JOB.

white eagle
11-06-2015, 09:08 AM
I saw a vid once of a guy using a form for a sil stone
he used oil of some sort on the form
I use 2x4's alot for forms just make sure to screw it together
so you can take it apart

BrentD
11-06-2015, 09:20 AM
I have a concrete kitchen counter. It is well reinforced with extra steel, and the cabinets used extra bracing to support the weight until the concrete had cured. It was poured in place so the top surface was floated well and the corners rounded with special tools.

The form itself was 1x4s ripped to the thickness of the concrete so it would be finished and any other poured-in-place concrete would. All the wood forming was coated with ordinary vegetable oil (corn oil in this case), just before the pour. Pretty simple really.