PDA

View Full Version : MRI Lone Eagle 444 marlin!

seagiant
04-10-2008, 09:49 PM
Hi,
I own a TC Contender with a 44 mag barrel reamed to a 444 marlin and even though I enjoy it ,it is quite a handful. While at my local gun shop at the very end of the display cases and all the way back so you almost couldn't see it was probably one of the last brand new in box Magnum Research Lone Eagle 444 Marlin with the muzzle break! I horse traded for it explaining to the owner that it had been in the shop for a very long time and that he probably couldn't pay his regulars a hundred dollars to shoot it, much less buy it! I guess he believed me,because it is now mine and I pick it up in the morning. Does anyone shoot one of these? I have looked on the NET for info but haven't found much. It seems that people either love them or hate them! I think the cannon breach mechanism is so cool I couldn't help myself and I was already set up to reload it. Any ideas or thoughts on this is appreciated! Thanks!

44man
04-11-2008, 08:50 AM
I had one in 7-08. It was super accurate.
The trigger, striker setup is VERY hard to make a little lighter. I also had trouble with hot loads extracting because the extractor was small so I made one a little larger to grab the rim better. Cases didn't stick so it was confusing as to why the original extractor would jump the rim. I was told to switch to nickel cases.
You should not have a problem with the .444 case.
When the gun was first designed they did pressure tests on it. With the final load they had to cut the gun in half to see what happened inside. The brass had melted to the chamber walls without blowing up the gun.
I think you will love the gun so keep us posted how it shoots.

seagiant
04-11-2008, 10:04 AM
Thanks 44 Man,
That's some good news, I hope with the muzzle brake this pistol can be shot with full loads and kick like a 357 mag! We'll see ,I'm fixing to go pick it up and swing by my gun club and see if I can hit that 100 yd. gong! It is a ****** looking pistol and balances well in hand. I saw that this was my last chance to get a brand new never fired specimen so went for it! Thanks again!

9.3X62AL
04-11-2008, 10:08 AM
With the final load they had to cut the gun in half to see what happened inside. The brass had melted to the chamber walls without blowing up the gun.

Hijo la--I'd say that's a stalwart platform.

ENJOY!

wonderwolf
04-11-2008, 10:19 AM
I looked at these awhile back. How well does the extractor work on other calibers? I'm wondering why they didn't use an ejector instead. How do these balance?:Fire:

seagiant
04-11-2008, 05:53 PM
Hi,
Well... All I can say is this "pistol" is BAD TO THE BONE!!! HA! I had intended to buy a box of factory ammo for this pistol but when they told me $50 for 20 rds. I figured I'd pass and spend my money on some nickle brass! I had 20 rds of loaded down ammo with a WW lead RCBS 250 gr. Keith boolit (no GC) This was because the TC Contender with full power ammo was so painful( after 3 shots no problema cause you're hand is numb!) Shooting those in the LE with the muzzle break was like a 357 mag very nice but still enough to take any size deer walking. No pressure signs and the brass is popping out of the breach no problem. Trigger is a little heavy but I like a solid trigger so no problem and really not much creep, I shall leave it alone and just shoot the pistol for now. I went home reloaded full size load(50 grs. IMR-4895) with the 250 bullet and went back to the range accuracy dropped off maybe to much for a PB boolit? May need to try with a GC or J-word bullets. I have a GC SSK,NEI mold 340 gr. that I really want to try later. Accuracy was very good with the reduced load and the interior of the barrel is MIRROR bright and looks like an excellent barrel. I broke the barrel-in, cleaning after every shot for 20 shots and then after every five and noticed no leading at any time. This pistol like others will take a few experiments to find out what it likes but it is so sweet a shooter recoil and accuracy wise,its a keeper. You can go to the range with this one and shoot all day. I couldn't do that with the TC! I enclosed a pic that is very simuliar to mine.

Three44s
04-12-2008, 12:36 AM
I'd say you've got yourself a great new "Big Hole Maker" there!!!!

A neighbor of mine really likes his in .30-06!!!!!

Enjoy the RCBS 250K's ........

And for some store bought boolits you might check out Beartooth ..... they have dual crimp grooved slugs that might be the ticket (let you utilize more of your .444 case's boiler room)

And another economical mold is the Lee 310 GC ........ I have one and like it for Ruger DA revolver loads.

Three 44s

44man
04-12-2008, 08:04 AM
I loved mine but wanted several BFR's so I sadly sold it to my friend, along with selling a few other guns. I hated to sell any but when short of money, not much can be done.
Anyway, the other reason is I like big bores more then the 7mm-08.

seagiant
04-12-2008, 09:31 AM
Hi 44 Man,
Well I can feel you're pain,sometimes you have to make some hard decisions in life.(grin) I've been doing some trading lately that turned out good for me I feel. One thing about trading is you save the state tax amount (7%) which can be substantial. My problem now is I have traded everything off that I really could live without and next time I want something I'm going to have to come up with the cash!

On the LE when I shot the full power loads there was no trouble with case extraction,actually I was holding the breech up and when I clicked it open It would propel the empty case about a foot up into the air and I would catch it and put it in the box,very neat! I'm going to take you're suggestion and get nickle-brass to help even more. If this pistol keeps shooting like it is now,in the future,I'm a happy camper and feel I got a bargain! Now I want one in 223! Thanks!

wonderwolf
04-12-2008, 11:40 AM
I take it that it has an ejector then? one in 30/06 would be fun any problem shooting full house hunting loads with those? since I don't think theres any pistol data for it.....I think?

seagiant
04-12-2008, 07:46 PM
Hi Wonderwolf,
Yes, my pistol has an ejector. I t seems to work very well but then the 444 marlin is not a bottlneck case but straight so maybe it works smoother. The shop where I bought mine originally had one in 308 win. but it sold a week before mine. I would think that both of them had been there for years. I wanted the 444 anyway so that was no problem. I am now keeping my eyes open for a 223!