PDA

View Full Version : son got a big buck

johnson1942
11-02-2015, 07:11 PM
as far as i can see their isnt a archery spot on cast bullets and if their is this can be moved. right at dusk yesterday my 16 year of son got a really nice 4 point muley buck with his cross bow. 30 to 40 yard shot. tracked it into the dark, came home and got up at daybreak and tracked it a little more and their he was. when he gutted him out he was still warm and it was really cool last night. clipped the lungs and arrow passed right through him. he has one big funny tine that sticks straight out from the rack. matt called him in with that hand held doe bleat. the rut is just barely beginning and this buck was ready to go. mat was laying face down in the tall prairie grass and when he sat up the buck couldnt really see him with his camo outfit on and then thats when he put a arrow through him. my son is a much better hunter than i am, he was born to hunt. the buck has been fighting already because one stought tine was broke off about 1/2 of it.

Omnivore
11-02-2015, 08:57 PM
Well congratuations to the son. Glad to know the buck was not disturbed by coyotes during the night. It would be difficult to have to walk away from a kill like that and wait for daybreak.

johnson1942
11-02-2015, 09:15 PM
i told him, dont lay awake, let God take care of it, and God did. he was out their at early morning and had a feeling about a small grove of pine, and sure enough the buck was laying right in the middle of the pines. he still has rifle season and then muzzleloader season. lots of hunting untill after christmas.

idahoron
11-02-2015, 09:43 PM
I want to see it!! Tell him good job!!

johnson1942
11-02-2015, 10:03 PM
ill see if my wife can find the time to post pictures. i really dont know how he does it but the deer seem to find him. thanks ron, its good to see our boys do good in hunting. he said rabbits were always comeing up to his blind and muley does also which we cant shoot and even a coyote came close. i told him next will be a mountain lion. that doe bleat call reall works. the buck came right to him.

swathdiver
11-03-2015, 05:17 AM
i told him, dont lay awake, let God take care of it, and God did.

The Lord is in control! Now, where are the photos?

johnson1942
11-03-2015, 11:27 AM
ok i will try to get the wife to take a minute from her full schedule, i may also have her take pictures of the racks on his wall, his room isnt that big and the wall is full. wife just came over to me to say good by and said she would this eveniing. by the way that buck had a layer of fat under the hide really thick. no shortage of water and food this year. also as a matter of interest i saw a huge big horn ram on the way to town the other day. he was in a valley along side the road between two high pine covered ridges. just standing their. i stopped 15 ft from him and rolled down my window and said to him, your a little lost arent you? he just looked around for the herd and bounced away. man are they the real deal. his horns were big and with a good curl. wish i had the money to hunt one of those.

koger
11-03-2015, 08:05 PM
Congrats to you both Roger, I have him a little something for a present for bowhunting when I come out next month!

johnson1942
11-05-2015, 12:33 AM
pictures of matts buck. 152601152601152601

retread
11-05-2015, 01:49 AM
Nice buck. Congrats Matt!

Omega
11-05-2015, 02:06 AM
pictures of matts buck. 152601152601152601
Nice deer, and great choice of teams!

idahoron
11-05-2015, 09:05 PM
That is a cool buck!!!

LUCKYDAWG13
11-05-2015, 09:46 PM
congrats to you and your son

mikeORB
11-05-2015, 10:44 PM
Always great to see young kids hunting and having success. Even if they show us up.

DW475
11-06-2015, 03:35 AM
Very nice, congrats!!

218bee
11-06-2015, 06:13 PM
Beautiful....nice job sticking to it Matt

JonnyReb
11-06-2015, 07:39 PM
Congrats to Matt for having listened well to you Johnson, you're raising a fine boy, gonna be one heck of a man, you can see it in his eyes. Threads like this give me hope for the up and coming generations.

johnson1942
11-06-2015, 08:14 PM
thanks jonny reb, he is a good boy.loves to hunt and loves baseball. he also knows more about clouds than the weatherman. he is a really fine baseball pitcher, turned lots of games around.

nagantguy
11-06-2015, 09:20 PM
Great buck, good story, good family activity! Proud of you both! I know from experience how hard it is to wait till dawn to resume the search, it's usually the right move but requires patience and a long veiw of the situation. Thanks for sharing, that's one fine young man you raising there congrats to you and the misses. And thanks once again for talking me through the construction and kurling of my ultimate muzzle loader boolit!

johnson1942
11-07-2015, 12:51 AM
matt found a good white tail herd on land we have been just given permission to hunt on. they sleep by a spring next to a pine tree claim. we are saveing that for the end of the month when regular rifle season starts. its really strange around here how the mule deer and white tails have divided up the land. some of and a lot of it is the same lay of the land but they seem to have worked out some kind of thing together. south of me 5 mile they mix. south of that area it is all muley. north of me 2 miles its only whitetails. 15 miles north of me its mixed again. saw a herd of 100 deer running along the fence of ted turners land once. they were mixed, white tails and muleys, both bucks and does and they didnt seem to mind each other.my neighbor two years ago shot a huge buck with a roman nose and skimpy horns that was a cross bred white tail and mule deer. he was huge and goffy looking and the horns were small and skinny. the meat was good though. a friend a couple of years ago shot a deer with no genitiles at all, neither male or female. it was ontop of a silage corn pile and was the fattest deer he ever saw. all it ever did was eat eat eat. it tasted good also. sorry i got off track but funny things happen out their.

Hanshi
11-12-2015, 07:18 PM
He really did score on a serious buck. Congratulations, young man.

johnson1942
11-12-2015, 08:58 PM
rifle season starts sat. got a good white tail herd or two locked in on land where no one else can hunt. matts got a new scope on his 270 this year and he is wants to test it. keep a boy busy in good hobbies and he wont have time for the **** that side tracks. i also was born with a gun in my hand and when the military thing happened way back when i was more than ready. i could never figure out why the big city boys couldnt hit a bull in the ---- with a base fiddle but they didnt have my up bringing. i dont know if matt will go into the military but he may. college first and we have been leaning him toward the coast guard if he does. he could be in charge of his own boat chaseing drug runners. i believe in getting a young man ready for that sort of thing if he does, he will be ready. he never takes more than a couple of seconds to get on target and then the critter is his. his first deer was 90 yards and he was only 85 pounds and 11 years old. took him fast under the left ear, it was then i decided i didnt have to teach him anything more at all. he is a natural just like his grandpa. my dad never ever missed anything he shot as it came natural to him also. im a practiced good shot but matt and his grandpa are naturals. my two other sons are very good with any kind of gun also. it is good to see my sons better than me.

douglasskid
11-17-2015, 08:36 PM
Great hunt. Congrats to both of you!!

4719dave
11-17-2015, 09:34 PM
congrats ..nice buck ..better get after those yotes or there wont be any deer ..just saying ..