PDA

View Full Version : glock 43 vs m&p shield vs lc9

Lloyd Smale
11-02-2015, 04:48 PM
well in the last thread I said I bought a 43 glock and liked it. Guys came back saying the shield was better and some said the lc9 is better. So what did Lloyd do? he went and bought a lc9 and a shield 40 yesterday. Some time at the range today and heres my opinion so far.

I like the glock. It feels good in the hand and doesn't miss a lick with any ammo ive fed it. Downside is a heavy trigger. The shield is bigger in every dimension. Small enough? Maybe but I like the glock better for that. Reliability was good with most ammo but my lightest load (my beer can rolling load for my 23) wasn't a 100 percent reliable. Every thing else ran fine. I give it points because the trigger was better then the glocks but take away points because it has a stupid safety. The lc9 I bought isn't a pro. I bought it for my wife and its muddy girl camo because I think she will like it (Christmas present) It has a much lighter trigger but its vague and hard to know when its going to break. But for her it will be better. She really stuggled with the 43. Again points taken away for a safety and more for that stupid mag disconnect. Its smaller then the other two and I like that. It didn't do well with my lighter 9mm ammo that runs fine in my full sized m&p, 19 glock, my Beretta and the 43. It would feed the round flat 120s at all. Stovepiped on about every round. It feed hornady 120 hap bullets just fine though.

Now if I had to keep just one it would be the glock with the smith coming in a close second the ruger is a distant 3rd. Just felt cheaper then the other two and I didn't like that trigger at all and throw in the mag disconnect and we have a loser. Now granted this is for my wife and she isn't going to go out and roll beer cans with it and I doubt shed ever get in a predicament that she would loose her magazine. It will probably be stuck in her purse and come out once or twice a year to shoot. For that I guess its does its job. Both the smith and the ruger got a drop of super glue on the safety to disable them. The LAST thing I want is to pull a gun out under stress and have to work a tiny safety. Theres my evaluation and its my honest opinion. I have nothing to gain or loose. I paid good money for all three and don't harbor any prejudices against any of them. Like I said if I ever do have to pull one to save my bacon id prefer the glock over the other two. If Glock would do a better job on the triggers it would have walked away a hands down winner.

bdicki
11-02-2015, 05:16 PM
There is a Shield without the safety.
http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product4_750001_750051_831060_-1_757752_757751_757751_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y

Mytmousemalibu
11-02-2015, 05:24 PM
I got my dad an M&P Shield for his birthday here last month. I have always been a Smith fan and this is the 4th M&P that had been added to the family. I took dad out shopping at the last gunshow and had him pick up and feel all the popular 9mm single stacks, G43, LC9 Pro, Shield, Walther CCP, SCCY, and a couple others. It just so happens that he liked the feel of the Shield the best. I have held and liked the G43, one of only Glocks that felt ok in my hands, just don't like the feel and angle on the grip on the big glocks, otherwise you can't argue with the simple reliability and functionality of a Glock. That said I trust the M&P guns just as much as I would a Glock. I love the fit & feel of the Shield. As mentioned it is a little bigger than the 43 but it also holds more rounds. Personally I don't like safetys on my EDC guns and I got my 9C without one. The Shield does but it is my dads to carry and if de dosen't want it, I will physically remove the component. Where I feel the Shield lacks the most and this is a trait of all M&P guns I have felt is the triggers are usually pretty rough and the slide stop is hard to disengage. A little hand fitting and polishing helps a good bit. An Apex trigger is the ultimate cure.

Lloyd Smale
11-02-2015, 06:07 PM
shield does have one big advantage that I wish glock would copy and that's making a 43 sized gun in .40!! Now that would be the ticket!

scattershot
11-02-2015, 06:42 PM
I don't understand everyone's dislike for the safety on the Smith. If you don't like it, just don't use it. It won't engage itself.

jmort
11-02-2015, 07:08 PM
"The lc9 I bought isn't a pro"

Did you get a LC9s? The LC9 blows comparatively. The strike-fired LC9s or LC9s Pro are so much better. Even a Glock die-hard like Hickok45 concedes that he likes the 43 "slightly" better than the LC9s Pro. The better trigger goes the the LC9s. Since I don't like the ergonomics of Glocks for me, they are great guns, I had no problem picking the LC9s Pro. The S&W is a great choice as well. You cannot say objectively that one is better than another, only that you like one subjectively better. As for the trigger, objectively, the Ruger 9s and LCR9s Pro has the lightest trigger of the three. That can be bad for some as it is real light.

bedbugbilly
11-02-2015, 07:13 PM
scattershop - I agree with you . . . .

I have a 9mm Shield with the safety . . . because I wanted to have a safety to use once in a while in certain circumstances. I can easily "thumb sweep" mine off when drawing if need be . . . but for CCW, i'll just carry with the safety off. My holster covers the safety and fully covers the trigger guard so for me, I don't see the issue with them. And, you "have" to want to put it on as there is enough resistance on it that it would be awfully hard to have it accidentally put on - yet is "sweeps" off easily with my thumb. I'm a "revolver" guy and the Shield is one of two semi 9mm that I own - the other is a SR9 - same situation on that one with the safety as well.

I was out shooting today - still working on loads, etc. All I've shot out of mine is cast - Lee 120 TC and Lyman 358-242 121 grand RN. I've put about 400 - 450 rounds through mine now and it just gets better. I have absolutely no complaints on my Shield at all.

I looked at all of them as well . . . the 43, Ruger, XD, Kimber, etc. and for me . . I liked the 43 and it felt good but it wasn't in stock and the dealer was having trouble getting them . . . the Shield fit my needs so that's what I went with. Don't own a Glock . . never shot one and was "prejudiced" against 'em . . . handling the 43 changed that though. To me, it looked like a fine option as well.

Mytmousemalibu
11-02-2015, 08:14 PM
I really liked all three on the guns in the subject matter but my buying decision was based of what dad liked. I agree on the LC9 Pro trigger, it felt outstanding for a little self defense gun. If I decide to add something slimmer to the carry line-up I may be urged to get an LC9 Pro.

tinhorn97062
11-02-2015, 08:19 PM
Ive handled all of the mentioned weapons and still prefer my Kahr CM9.

bremraf
11-02-2015, 08:20 PM
I carry a Taurus 709. I know the company has issues, but the 709 pistols are winners. I have well over 1000 rds in mine and no malfunctions of any kind. I've heard the G43 is supposed to be just as reliable.

clum553946
11-02-2015, 09:07 PM
There's a trigger kit for your glock available from the glockstore that really improves feel & pull

FergusonTO35
11-02-2015, 09:34 PM
Of these three I would choose the 43 because it uses a well tested design and it is quite likely you will always be able to easily find parts and upgrades for it. As nice as the other two are they don't have those advantages.

Tackleberry41
11-02-2015, 09:57 PM
Upgrades is often an issue, but not so sure on something like a compact gun. I was able to get a pretty decent trigger out of my shield with just a dremmel tool and such. I cant see paying $100 or more for a trigger for this sort of gun. For the range the thing is made to be used at, the factory sights are probably overkill. Im a lefty, so generally end up ignoring the safety on a pistol anyways. Not found where its turned itself on or anything.

I was a bit open minded about things when I bought it. Most tend to be a little biased, they like one brand or another. Glock fans were willing to wait. It was only my second polymer pistol up to that point, had been all steel with a hammer on the back for a long time. I had bought a glock, but only to use the frame on a mechtech upper. Went thru a couple glocks wheeling and dealing settling on a mid size gun, the full size was just to big to me. I just liked how the shield fit in my hand.

And since I do like 40 have considered another one in that caliber, don't see glock or Ruger coming out with that.

Markbo
11-02-2015, 10:07 PM
Lloyd FWIW I prefer my XDs 3.5" in .45 acp over any of those and the KelTec P11 which was a favorite bug fir a long time

Mytmousemalibu
11-03-2015, 03:13 AM
Of these three I would choose the 43 because it uses a well tested design and it is quite likely you will always be able to easily find parts and upgrades for it. As nice as the other two are they don't have those advantages.

I would argue that the Shield has plenty of aftermarket support and easy to get parts. It has been around about 3yrs before the G43 was released for sale and in theory has a lot of rounds down range to its credit. The Shield, just like the G43 is bred from a slightly slimmer design of their brethren. The aftermarket for the M&P's is very good, not quite all the custom crazy slides and stuff yet but it's coming around. Important parts like triggers ,barrels, sights, race gun parts, all that stuff is around. The M&P guns have proven their reliability well enough and for long enough that the Glock reliability argument VS M&P can be put to bed in my opinion. I wouldn't hesitate for a second to grab either in the defense of my own life. They are equals anymore.

Lloyd Smale
11-03-2015, 06:31 AM
oh but it can be bumped or rub a holster and get turned on. I have NO USE for a safety on a defensive pistol. NONE
I don't understand everyone's dislike for the safety on the Smith. If you don't like it, just don't use it. It won't engage itself.

Lloyd Smale
11-03-2015, 06:32 AM
this one is striker fired
"The lc9 I bought isn't a pro"

Did you get a LC9s? The LC9 blows comparatively. The strike-fired LC9s or LC9s Pro are so much better. Even a Glock die-hard like Hickok45 concedes that he likes the 43 "slightly" better than the LC9s Pro. The better trigger goes the the LC9s. Since I don't like the ergonomics of Glocks for me, they are great guns, I had no problem picking the LC9s Pro. The S&W is a great choice as well. You cannot say objectively that one is better than another, only that you like one subjectively better. As for the trigger, objectively, the Ruger 9s and LCR9s Pro has the lightest trigger of the three. That can be bad for some as it is real light.

Lloyd Smale
11-03-2015, 06:41 AM
Found a couple more things I don't like about the ruger. First the sights are just to small. A defensive pistol to me needs at aleast a larger front sight with a larger dot. Id prefer night sights but I know that a gun in this price range isn't going to come with them. Especially for an inexperienced shooter like my wife a bit white dot to superimpose on a target is the way to go. These sights are tiny and so are the dots. That ones not a deal breaker but this one is. I cannot understand the stupidity of ruger making a defensive pistol that needs a tool to take it down and has a pin that can be lost when you do take it down in the field that would render the pistol useless. I think about every manufacture knows that you need to be able to take down a gun in the field without carrying something to push that pin out. REAL STUPID ruger!! Between that and the mag disconnect (http://rd.bizrate.com/rd?t=http%3A%2F%2Fconnexity.pgpartner.com%2Frd.php %3Fr%3D16695%26m%3D1755745767%26q%3Dn%26rdgt%3D144 6128646%26it%3D1446301446%26et%3D1446733446%26pric eret%3D2.99%26pg%3D%7E%7E3%26k%3Dde6f2348a64f301fa 6bfa5b9c8799b56%26source%3Dfeed%26url%3Dhttp%253A% 252F%252Fwww%252Ebrownells%252Ecom%252Fhandgun%252 Dparts%252Fframe%252Dparts%252Fmagazine%252Dreleas e%252Dparts%252Fmagazine%252Drelease%252Dsprings%2 52Fmag%252Ddisconnect%252Dspring%252Dsku780722024% 252D68150%252D146264%252Easpx%253Fcm%255Fmmc%253Dc se%252D%255F%252DItwine%252D%255F%252Dpricegrabber %252D%255F%252DMag%252520Disconnect%252520Spring%2 526gdftrk%253DgdfV21820%255Fa%255F7c187%255Fa%255F 7c828%255Fa%255F7c780722024%255Fd%255F780722024%25 5Fd%255F10728%26st%3Dfeed%26mt%3D%7E%7E%7E%7E%7E%7 E%7E%7En%7E%7E%7E&mid=296470&cat_id=12150125&atom=10468&prod_id=&oid=6480263435&***=1&b_id=302&bid_type=0&bamt=dc33d25e4dadea0e&cobrand=1&ppr=306b74c08af5b703&rf=af1&af_assettype_id=12&af_creative_id=158466&af_id=[PUBLISHER_ID]&af_placement_id=1&dv=f09d505ca44efe1dae1f75bdd82fc5d0) it takes it out of any serious contention for a serious carry gun. Now im stuck. My wife loves it. Its her first actual gun of her own and its muddy girl camo and she wont part with it. If it were mine it would be back to the gunshop today.

Ill also say the more I handle these guns the more I like the smiths feel in the hand. It feels more like a full sized gun and is a 40 and that's no small deal to me. If it proves to be reliable over the next couple thousand rounds it might just beat the glock out for my new main carry gun. So far the only thing I don't like about it is the safety and some jb weld or super glue would take care of that. Bottom line is in my opinion the glock and the smith are in a different league then the ruger. I consider the ruger more of a cheap entry level gun compared to the the other two. Good gun for a wife or daughter that is going to stick it in her purse, shoot it seldom and would even know how to take it down or for that matter wouldn't have the presence of mind to swap mags when shtf. Like I said I don't care for the trigger. I like to know when its going to break but for my wife the glock and even the smith are to stiff and are actually stiff enough that it could take the gun off target when she shoots.

dragon813gt
11-03-2015, 07:46 AM
Well thought out review. Not often you see someone buy three firearms to see which one they like the best.

I don't believe the G43 was out when I bought my carry gun. Even if it was Glocks aren't comfortable for me to shoot. I'm one of those guys where the grip angle is wrong. I can live w/ it but prefer others.

Which is why I went w/ a Walther PPS. That pistol is really over looked. It's Glock like is construction and operation. No external safety besides the operator. Mine has been very accurate w/ everything I've fed it. And I personally like the paddle mag release. I know that's a point of contention w/ American shooters that grew up on 1911s. Which is why they removed from the Gen2 PPQ. But the paddles are more ergonomic for mag changes. The PPS is in the same league as the Glock and Shield unlike the LC9.

Lloyd Smale
11-03-2015, 08:28 AM
ive never even handled one. Sorry but im a bit tapped out so I cant buy one of those too:veryconfu
Well thought out review. Not often you see someone buy three firearms to see which one they like the best.

I don't believe the G43 was out when I bought my carry gun. Even if it was Glocks aren't comfortable for me to shoot. I'm one of those guys where the grip angle is wrong. I can live w/ it but prefer others.

Which is why I went w/ a Walther PPS. That pistol is really over looked. It's Glock like is construction and operation. No external safety besides the operator. Mine has been very accurate w/ everything I've fed it. And I personally like the paddle mag release. I know that's a point of contention w/ American shooters that grew up on 1911s. Which is why they removed from the Gen2 PPQ. But the paddles are more ergonomic for mag changes. The PPS is in the same league as the Glock and Shield unlike the LC9.

dragon813gt
11-03-2015, 09:01 AM
ive never even handled one. Sorry but im a bit tapped out so I cant buy one of those too:veryconfu

Can't imagine why you're tapped out :p

Rick Hodges
11-03-2015, 11:51 AM
My everyday carry gun for the past 2 or 3 years has been the M&P Shield 40. I am left handed and the safety has never been on unless I put it there ( just to see if it worked). In a diSantis belt holster, or and Inside the waist holster, no problem. Tucked into my waistband no problem with the safety....ever. The Mag release has been known to get depressed when my belly pushes it against my belt when in the waistband. (crossdraw appendix carry...left handed remember..LOL)

FergusonTO35
11-03-2015, 05:21 PM
As nice as the 43, Shield, and LC9S are, I am perfectly satisfied with my 42 .380 stoked with my own warm reloads. I'm wearing it IWB as I type this.

Lloyd Smale
11-03-2015, 07:53 PM
just talking to my buddy yesterday. His wife carrys a 42 and loves it. She knows more about guns and what works and doesn't then a lot of the men on these sites. Her 42 is what convinced me to get the 43. Ive carried 380s a lot and don't feel undergunned with one.
As nice as the 43, Shield, and LC9S are, I am perfectly satisfied with my 42 .380 stoked with my own warm reloads. I'm wearing it IWB as I type this.

Lloyd Smale
11-03-2015, 07:57 PM
I was going to say why don't you switch the mag release to the other side but went and looked at mine and you cant. How do you work the mag release for a tactical reload and does your hand sometime trip it just gripping the gun? I really like this shield but I think if I was a lefty id look at something else rick.
My everyday carry gun for the past 2 or 3 years has been the M&P Shield 40. I am left handed and the safety has never been on unless I put it there ( just to see if it worked). In a diSantis belt holster, or and Inside the waist holster, no problem. Tucked into my waistband no problem with the safety....ever. The Mag release has been known to get depressed when my belly pushes it against my belt when in the waistband. (crossdraw appendix carry...left handed remember..LOL)

Lloyd Smale
11-03-2015, 08:00 PM
The gun shop owner had me thinking today. I don't have a springfeid xd. When the first came out my neighbor bought two and they were total *** guns. They ran factory ammo but wouldn't run any of my handloads that worked in everything. Right there I guess I picked up a predudice against them. A lot of guys swear by them and he had a used 40 in there for a real good price. Told me take it home and pay when I got the money but I hate operating like that. Especially with hunting season right around the corner and then Christmas. Id really like to shake down one of there compacts too. Anyone here have one or have experience with one?
Can't imagine why you're tapped out :p

Markbo
11-03-2015, 09:48 PM
See post 14 on page 1

Lloyd Smale
11-04-2015, 07:27 AM
What is it about the xd that makes you like it more then the others? Did you spend any time comparing them side by side or shooting them?

Lloyd Smale
11-04-2015, 07:40 AM
back in the gunshop yesterday to square up my tab and the owner and his wife were there. I told them how I felt about the ruger and he said he had the same reservations. They do concealed classes there and sell a lot of guns like this. His wife said that about 3/4s of the lc9s they've sold (and she said there hands down the best selling ccw gun) have been sold to women. Mostly because of the light trigger and she said that honestly 90 percent of them will never shoot the gun much after the class and if so very little. they just stick them in there purse and that's where they spend there lives. He said most of the men that buy them are inexperienced with handguns and buy them because there a bit cheaper then a glock, smith or xd and probably don't shoot them anymore then the women do. This is a small town area. He knows most of the people who come in his store and said that he gives away a 20 round box of ammo with any gun purchase and doesn't recall any lc9 buyer coming in for more ammo. Now im not sitting here telling you that you don't know guns if you bought an lc9. that would be calling the kettle black because I bought one myself. Just passing on my opinion and the opinion of the shop owner. Cant pry the thing out of my wifes hands. If I could it would be traded in a second on a 43 or shield for her. But they don't make them in muddy girl camo! Maybe ruger should consentrate more on building a gun that is better in the field and less on what looks pretty.

FergusonTO35
11-04-2015, 10:32 AM
Lloyd, I'm glad my local shop doesnt give me offers like that. I would be homeless if he did!!

jmort
11-04-2015, 10:41 AM
"Maybe ruger (sic) should consentrate (sic) more on building a gun that is better in the field and less on what looks pretty."

I will consider Hickok45's opinion over most anyone's, and for sure over the O/P's or his LGS and leave it at that. The LC9s Pro is as good as any other option and has the best trigger. The other guns mentioned are all good choices. Just don't like to see disinformation posted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2bBSHxk-Oc

Ric-san
11-04-2015, 01:39 PM
I have shot all three and liked the S&W the most...throw In a great BF 2014 sale not the handgun at a LGS...sold. Happy Camper.

jmort
11-04-2015, 01:57 PM
The guy at one of the local gun stores prefers the S&W over the 43 or the LC9s Pro. We recently had them all out side by side. They all look good to me. Plus there are the other guns mentioned here, Kahr, Springfield and there are others to choose from. As Hickok says, when it comes to single stack 9s, "Life is good." He "slightly" prefers the 43 over the Ruger, and he is a definite Glock fan-boy.

Lloyd Smale
11-04-2015, 02:12 PM
no misinformation here pal. Im just calling it like I see it. Your pro might be a better judge of these guns them me but Id bet he hasn't put to many more rounds down range in his life then I have. Like I said earlier I have no reason to be predudice here. I bought all three with my own money. Im just not one that says fords are best because im smart enough to buy one. I tell it like it is. Id bet hes getting free guns and ammo to play with too. I pay for mine or load them and have to scrape and trade to acquire them. Also im to ugly to do videos and would have to invite other people to my range. If you don't agree with me that's fine. I never said you couldn't get by with any of these guns. But theres not ONE BIT of misinformation in my posts. The flaws are there. You can choose to ignore them if you want. No defensive gun should have a safety with the exception of a cocked and locked 1911 and even then I carried a detonics for years that didn't have a safety cocked and unlocked, for sure not a mag disconnect (even ruger realized these flaws and made the pro) and sure as SHIB shouldnt need a tool to take it down in the field and a take down pin that you could easily drop in the grass and loose. The trigger thing is subjective. Some like it some don't. I don't but that's just an opinion. If they took the pro and changed the take down to something like just about every other manufacture out there did it would be a competitive gun. Don't take it personal, you didn't build that gun you just bought it. By the way why would I mention the kahr or the springfield when I don't have experience with them. Send me one for free and ill gladly give you an honest opinion of it. Heck ill even provide the ammo out of the goodness of my heart. These three guns have an easy 500 plus rounds through them each in the last week. I think that's enough time to get an honest opinion. I doubt if to many of the get that in a lifetime.

Lloyd Smale
11-04-2015, 02:25 PM
Did more shooting today. Most cast handloads. A mixed lot loaded up in coffee cans. Found out a couple things. My lc9 doesn't much like cast anything. Especially if its not full tilt ammo. I had the 43 and my full sized m&p out with it. The m&p was choking on some of it too but keep in mind those were light loads and I noticed I didn't get carried away with the crimp. The little glock ate every bit of it and didn't miss a beat. I went home and ran a bunch of it back through a taper crimp die to crimp a bit more and after that it ran through the full sized m&p without a glitch. It helped the ruger too but still had at least one malfunction out of every two mags or so with the stouter ammo. It still wouldn't run the lighter stuff.

Again the ruger did fine with xtps and haps the other day and this isn't really a cast bullet gun anyway but id sure like it to run with them so I can use cheap ammo to train the wife. Had the shield out again and popped off probably a 100 rounds through it. Only complaint was that those magazines are so hard to load that you about want to hire a mag loader after two or three clips. My fingers are still cramped. After a while I gave up and just loaded 4 rounds in the mags. Don't know if its the same with the 9mm shield or not but this gun SURE SHOULD come with some kind of a mag loader even if its one of those things glock throws in.

Now so that the ruger cheerleaders here don't get there feelings hurt I will say this. The lcp outshoots the glock. Off hand and on the bench. Most group sizes were close to double with the glock compared to the ruger. Glock does much better with jacketed and closes the gap up a lot but still is in third place in the accuracy dept. The m&p was right in the middle. Wasn't the trigger that made the difference either because on the bench it was actually harder to shoot because the other two you could tell when they were going to break. So I have to give points to the ruger in the accuracy dept. Some don't think that matters in a defensive gun but I do. even at 10 yards 3 inches can mean the difference in a killing shot and just winging your target or even between a hit and a miss. I will add this too for the ruger fanclub. If I wouldn't have ever handled the 43 or the m&p and only would have bought and shot the ruger and was the type that used jacketed factory ammo I probably wouldn't have been disappointed other then with that stupid take down routine they designed for it.

ErnieBishop
11-04-2015, 02:38 PM
Group sizes/distance(s) with the 43 with jacketed bullets?
The 43 is purely a SD for me, and i will be using factory SD ammo

Lloyd Smale
11-04-2015, 03:04 PM
I figured 15 yards was a fair distance to bench these guns. 43 with jacketed shot about 3inch, with cast probably 6 inch or more (It was bad enough that I didn't measure it) If I took my time with the ruger I could do 2 inch with jackted and about 3 with a couple of the cast loads. Smith seemed do do 3-3.5 with everything. All of them were plenty accurate enough for civilian concealed carry with jacketed handloads and the odds and ends factory stuff I had on the shelf. Funny thing with glocks. Some really do well with cast like my 23 and the 17 I used to have. Now with this 43 and my 20 cast doesn't do to well. I even tried a wolf barrel in the 20 and it actually shot worse.

Rick Hodges
11-04-2015, 03:11 PM
Lloyd,
Get yourself an "uplula" for the M&P....My Shield 40 will leave my fingers aching and bleeding if I load the mags more than a few times a day. I have 3 mags...two long and one short and they all are tough to load.
I have trouble with my Glock 23 on the last round in the mag too. Guess I should have ate my Wheaties....funny I never had a problem with any 1911 mag.

Lloyd Smale
11-04-2015, 03:40 PM
yup rick the glocks can be a bugger for the last couple but these smiths about get you all the way. ill have to do a search for that uplula. Id have paid a kid good money these last few days just to load for me!
Lloyd,
Get yourself an "uplula" for the M&P....My Shield 40 will leave my fingers aching and bleeding if I load the mags more than a few times a day. I have 3 mags...two long and one short and they all are tough to load.
I have trouble with my Glock 23 on the last round in the mag too. Guess I should have ate my Wheaties....funny I never had a problem with any 1911 mag.

Lloyd Smale
11-04-2015, 03:45 PM
ordered one rick thanks for the heads up.

ErnieBishop
11-05-2015, 01:30 AM
Thanks!

I figured 15 yards was a fair distance to bench these guns. 43 with jacketed shot about 3inch, with cast probably 6 inch or more (It was bad enough that I didn't measure it) If I took my time with the ruger I could do 2 inch with jackted and about 3 with a couple of the cast loads. Smith seemed do do 3-3.5 with everything. All of them were plenty accurate enough for civilian concealed carry with jacketed handloads and the odds and ends factory stuff I had on the shelf. Funny thing with glocks. Some really do well with cast like my 23 and the 17 I used to have. Now with this 43 and my 20 cast doesn't do to well. I even tried a wolf barrel in the 20 and it actually shot worse.

winelover
11-05-2015, 08:06 AM
I am also left handed and have no use for right handed safeties or non reversible magazine releases. Was set to purchase a "baby Glock" but were unobtainable. Ended up with the Beretta Nano. Single stack, two mags, one extended. Light weight at @ 21 ounces. DAO, without a safety or slide release. Reversible mag release and no "silly" magazine disconnect. Three dot sights with optional "night sight" front. Digests the same 9mm cast loads, I feed my HP......what's not to like?

Winelover

Lloyd Smale
11-05-2015, 08:37 AM
now that one peaks my interest. I have a 92 and a 21 beretta and there very well made guns and are both very reliable. Two questions if you don't mind. Hows the trigger on it and a whats the street price on one.
I am also left handed and have no use for right handed safeties or non reversible magazine releases. Was set to purchase a "baby Glock" but were unobtainable. Ended up with the Beretta Nano. Single stack, two mags, one extended. Light weight at @ 21 ounces. DAO, without a safety or slide release. Reversible mag release and no "silly" magazine disconnect. Three dot sights with optional "night sight" front. Digests the same 9mm cast loads, I feed my HP......what's not to like?

Winelover

winelover
11-06-2015, 06:52 AM
now that one peaks my interest. I have a 92 and a 21 beretta and there very well made guns and are both very reliable. Two questions if you don't mind. Hows the trigger on it and a whats the street price on one.

Probably can pick one up for less than $400........never measured the trigger pull but I find it comparable to the Glock. All my other carry guns are DA revolvers. I prefer DAO for a CC piece and have more double action revolvers than single. Even when hunting, I will shoot DA if deer are 25 yards or closer.

Winelover

ErnieBishop
11-06-2015, 09:39 AM
Should have my 43 in a couple of weeks. Pretty pumped[smilie=w:

Lloyd Smale
11-07-2015, 09:09 AM
there isn't much not to like about one ernie other then the trigger pull and that's just a 30 dollar part away from being great too.
Should have my 43 in a couple of weeks. Pretty pumped[smilie=w:

Lloyd Smale
11-07-2015, 04:59 PM
well after testing with various cast bullets I found the problem with the lc9. It just didn't like the 120 round flat bullet. Its a bullet really designed for the 38special and doesn't feed a 100 percent in my full sized m&p but does in the 43 and my 92 beretta. I switched to a 130 round flat hp that was a lot more pointed (both group buy molds from here) and it runs like a top. With my wifes help over the last two days ive given all three guns the 500 rounds without cleaning using dirty old cast bullet test. Actually pretty amazed. These are all good guns. The Glock and the shield came out with a perfect score. The ruger had a failure to feed once. Could be that it was at the end of the testing and my wife was getting tired and could have limp wristed it a bit. Bottom line is as far as reliability goes any one of these three guns would make me feel confindent enough to carry them. Pretty amazing to me because im used to the old 3 inch 1911 dramas. They could be a challenge back in the day. The newer ones are pretty good but I don't believe theyd stand up to the reliability of these guns and you can buy them at half the price. No there not accuate, no there not pretty. Yes I can pick a few things on them apart. Bottom line is there all good. For a wife according to mine theres only one choice the ruger. She liked the feel of the glock but struggled with the trigger to the point it actually started making her finger red and it think eventually it would have wore down to bleeding. After a 100 rounds with the glock shed only shoot her ruger. She shot one shot out of the shield and said NO MORE. It has SUBSTANTIALY more recoil.

Its sure not enough that it bothers me but if your used to a 9 or even a full sized 40 its a snappy little gun. to me it just means MORE POWER! And that's a good thing. My choise out of the three is a close decision. I like the compactness and absolute reliablitity of the glock. Its at probably a thousand rounds of light medium and heavy loads with 4 different cast bullets and 2 jackted and has ate everything with not even one burp. But bottom line is if you see me on the street I will probably have the shield on me. Its a good gun too and being chambered in 40 makes it a no brainer to me. If glock would make a single stacked 43 sized gun (or at least close to it) in 40 id have to buy the first one I could. I even shot the ruger a couple hundred rounds myself today and if I made it sound like a turd I probably over did it a bit. I still don't like the mag block and absolutely think the take downs is an engineering abortion but it does go bang every time and I doubt my wife will ever take the mag out or swap mags. It will spend its life sitting in her purse and probably never get used other then to play at the range. 10 years ago if you showed me that compact little 9mm ruger and it had no competition you would have had to race me to the gun shop to get one.

jmort
11-07-2015, 05:13 PM
"I still don't like the mag block"

That is why the LC9s Pro is so popular, no magazine disconnect ("block") and no safety. Just bought a second LC9s Pro yesterday, as I liked the first one so much. I don't see how you can go wrong with any of these, or the others mentioned in this thread. LC9s trigger is superb and it is quite accurate.

ErnieBishop
11-07-2015, 10:10 PM
Trigger pull will be changed from the get go, as well as the rear sight.

there isn't much not to like about one Ernie other then the trigger pull and that's just a 30 dollar part away from being great too.

Lloyd Smale
11-08-2015, 07:24 AM
I was lucky when I got my 43. Its a talo exclusive gun with steal rear sight and a trijicon tritium front sight. Actually after about a 800 rounds or so the trigger is getting better. I wouldn't call it good but its dropped probably from 8lbs to 6 and theres no creap in it like my M&Ps. Its still not as light as the shield and no where near as light as the lc9 though but I don't know if its bad enough still to even mess with. Its not a target gun anyway. Its meant for up close and personal.
Trigger pull will be changed from the get go, as well as the rear sight.

ErnieBishop
11-08-2015, 10:21 AM
Lloyd,
I am blessed with good friends to help in these areas.
I will post pics of the finished product, with explanations of modifications, and trigger pull weight, once it is all done.

Lloyd Smale
11-08-2015, 10:31 AM
that sure helps. Ive looked at the you tube things on doing the glock and it looks relatively easy but im no more of a gunsmith then I am a brain surgeon. I can cast them load them and shoot the snot out of them but fixing them isn't my forte

dragon813gt
11-08-2015, 12:58 PM
that sure helps. Ive looked at the you tube things on doing the glock and it looks relatively easy but im no more of a gunsmith then I am a brain surgeon. I can cast them load them and shoot the snot out of them but fixing them isn't my forte

I'm in your camp when it comes to firearms. But I just did the 25 cent trigger job on my G20. It's extremely easy to do. And there is nothing you have to worry about breaking. Now that I've done one it would probably take me about fifteen minutes from start to finish. You only need the punch and some metal polish.