PDA

View Full Version : Moose Burgers

11-02-2015, 09:13 AM
A friend returning from a successful moose hunt in Newfoundland gave me some moose burger. Here's how I prepared it:
1/2 cup of sautéed onion (diced)
2 cloves of fresh garlic (pressed)
1/2 beaten egg
1 strip of bacon fried crisp / crumbled / with the grease
Mix the above well in the uncooked burger and BBQ the burger as normal. Yummm :)

Think I'll try it with venison burger, too.

crowbuster
11-02-2015, 09:54 AM
That sounds great. Love em plain as well.

FISH4BUGS
11-02-2015, 10:31 AM
My former BIL hunts there also and gets one every year. Makes moose burgers with a similar recipe minus the bacon. Very tasty.

11-02-2015, 05:22 PM
Had those burgers last night with some acorn squash cut in half and baked husk side up in a shallow pan of water (400 * for an hour) and then finished up, flipped over, under the broiler, with a generous tab of butter and a few tablespoons of maple syrup in the cavity. Love this time of year!

BD
11-02-2015, 07:24 PM
Good eating! We lived on moose for a more than a few years when I was younger. Road kill for the most part. We always mixed pork fat from the pigs with the meat from the tougher cuts to make burger and sausage. 1 part pork fat to 4 parts moose meat, (it was 1 part fat to 3 parts Caribou or whitetail). Exact same acorn squash recipe! Works for Hubbard or spaghetti squash as well.

jonp
11-02-2015, 08:44 PM
Had those burgers last night with some acorn squash cut in half and baked husk side up in a shallow pan of water (400 * for an hour) and then finished up, flipped over, under the broiler, with a generous tab of butter and a few tablespoons of maple syrup in the cavity. Love this time of year!
I said something about baking acorn with maple syrup to the people down here in nc and they looked at me like I had 2 heads. Ive still got some of a gallon I brought from home in the freezer. Im hunting up some squash this weekend

gunauthor
11-02-2015, 08:51 PM
I've never had moose, does it taste like venison? My guess is it doesn't taste like chicken........

11-02-2015, 10:57 PM
Rather similar to venison. Lean, robust flavor and to me sometimes a hint of liver tasting. You really have to reach for the "liver" flavor, but it's something that I find hard to otherwise properly describe.
Made a moose pot roast in a slow cooker. Thought it should have cooked for 5 - 6 hours on low, but when I tested it at 4 1/2 hours it was perfectly done. Could have even taken it off at 4 hours.

Idaho Mule
11-02-2015, 11:07 PM
I like to mix my game burger before I grind it. We use a standard 80/20 mix, be it deer, elk or moose. That would be 80 percent game/ to 20 percent pork shoulder (pork butt). I trim the pork of all skin and bone, and obvious looking bad stuff (glands) and cut into 2" cubes to match the game meat, then it is all stirred together in a tub and put thru the grinder. The pork helps the lean game meat "bind" together and not crumble apart as you cook it, also adds a little flavor. We do find that one must still grease the pan before cooking, as there is not much grease in the burger. The onions, garlic, bacon, and most anything else edible added just before cooking only makes for better burgers!!!! JW

Boyscout
11-03-2015, 03:48 AM
I am going to try it. Went moose hunting in September and my brother took one. Seems the Ontario butcher made way to much burger and prime cuts seemed awfully sparse considering it was about a 1200 lb 3 year old bull. I made Moose Bolognese with some last week and it was great.

BrentD
11-04-2015, 08:25 PM
I said something about baking acorn with maple syrup to the people down here in nc and they looked at me like I had 2 heads. Ive still got some of a gallon I brought from home in the freezer. Im hunting up some squash this weekend

725 knows of what he speaks. Acorn squash, butter, maple syrup = perfection.

Moose burger sounds damn good. I'm having moose roast in refried beans and green enchilada sauce. I 'm missing a couple strips of bacon but i'll manage. Moose, its what's for dinner.

Beef15
11-04-2015, 09:34 PM
We always added a little beef fat (forget the percentage, lower than processors offer) to the moose grind. Ground a fair amount of caribou and bear same way.

Made burgers out of that, nothing added most times.Garlic and worchestershire if I felt like sprucing it up.

Key with lean game meat burgers is make the patty thick, don't press it while it cooks, don't flip it more than once, and don't cook past medium. If you don't preserve the juice you may as well have a garden burger or cardboard.