PDA

View Full Version : Lyman Mag 25 furnace

iraiam
11-02-2015, 06:51 AM
My new Lyman Mag 25 furnace arrived last week and I've had a chance to use it a couple times. I Like it! it's a big improvement with the 25 lb. pot and the PID temp controller, it holds the temperature quite well. I plan on making a different mold guide or two that fit some other brands of molds better.

propwashp47
11-02-2015, 11:40 AM
I order one on Friday from ctd 215.00 +shipping. photo shows new mold guide , I hope it is the same as in the photo. I am done with the lee 4-20.

dannyd
11-03-2015, 05:52 PM
Want to order one, where did you find it for 215?

jmort
11-03-2015, 05:54 PM
He said Cheaper than Dirt. With shipping it is close to $240 which is what other charge with free shipping.

DW475
11-04-2015, 03:12 AM
I've got to check that out. My old Lee pots still work pretty good but i would rather have a little larger pot for long casting sessions and better temp control.

Ranger 7
11-05-2015, 04:04 PM
Used my Lyman 25 Mag. Furnace yesterday.
Great unit! Fast melting, holds within 8 degrees (720), Not a drop! Fan equipped unit.
Only complaint is the mold guide: Holds my Lee 2 cavity molds perfectly. Too narrow for my lee Six cavity molds (Which I have/use the most)
Cut out a flat, tight fitting piece of Aluminum, with drip area cut out, to tightly fit on top of the mold guide and fill the compartment.
Smooth, flat surface.
Unit and modification works great. (Increased lead capacity is nice)

propwashp47
11-08-2015, 05:30 AM
got mine in 3 days .test run same results as ranger 7 had ,I like his mod for the mold guide. went with ctd for the new mold guide and was in stock as ones with free shipping had the old mold guide and ones with new guide free shipping out of stock

98neon
11-08-2015, 07:14 AM
I too got a new lyman 25. I had it on backorder from Graf for about 4 months. This thing is great! I have been using Lee pots there is no comparison. I am getting the most uniform bullets I have ever cast. The temp control is awesome.

solderboy
11-11-2015, 05:04 PM
these reports are interesting, I'd like to upgrade my 10 LBer.

Love Life
11-11-2015, 05:05 PM
Very good news!

iraiam
11-14-2015, 12:53 PM
Well my new furnace broke down already. Minor rough handling caused the temperature controller display to go out and would no longer heat. By "minor rough handling" I mean picking the empty heated furnace up and dumping any remaining dross into my metal dross can.

I was able to fix it after some troubleshooting. I consider the electronics inferior, I certainly would not want to warranty them.

It turns out the Toky temperature controller had a top shelf cold solder joint on the incoming power circuit, which caused the whole unit to loose power. The picture shows the one red wire on the inductor where it pulled right out of the PCB hole. Repairing this connection restored the unit to full functionality (after re-assembly of course).

Another problem was the holder that clamps the temperature controller into the mounting hole was glued to the controller case. I had to carefully cut this glue joint to get the unit out. During r-assembly I discovered why it was glued, the holder device does not latch the controller case, so when the screws are tightened it just slips, I had to glue it in again.

It's back working, but I will be ordering a new controller in the near future of a brand that I trust and switching the electronics out and putting in a Solid State Relay.

jmort
11-14-2015, 02:43 PM
As expected from China.

rodsvet
11-14-2015, 08:32 PM
I'm not a digital guy. My Pro Melt is as it came from the factory as are my stars. Their primitive temp control work great and haven't broken for over 40 years of casting. IF I ever venture into the modern age, the PID will be a stand alone unit of known quality. I hope your fix cures the problem!! Rod