PDA

View Full Version : Belt Mountain Basepins,

madcaster
04-10-2008, 03:56 PM
I have an Accusport Ruger Bisley,the 5.5" stainless with adjustable sights single actions.
Should the Allen screw on the basepin be screwed in to keep the pin from rotating in the gun?This is a problem(the pin turning and getting tight against just pushing into the cylinder) I am facing each time I clean the sixgun!
Thanks Ya'll,:-D
Jeff

willwork4ww
04-11-2008, 03:51 AM
Very nice sixgun, Madcaster. I own the both the .45 Colt and .45 convertible versions of same. They both carry Belt Mountain pins, as well as most of my other Ruger SA's. I use the Keith No. 5 style exclusively.
From what I understand, you are having trouble getting the pins oriented correctly when inserting them into the cylinder? I've had this problem before, back them out, with leather jawed pliers if really stuck and try it again. They'll seat if u index them right. You did fit them to frame and cylinger, correct? As far as the lock screw goes, it should either bear against the bbl or you can scribe through the lock screw hole, center punch, drill approximately .020 -.030" into the bbl and that will stop the pin from spinning as it will lock the set screw mechanically. Hope I've helped, all I could do as I was not entirely sure what you were getting at.

Lloyd Smale
04-11-2008, 05:56 AM
Jeff i allways have bought the unfitted oversized pins. I fit them myself and there fit tight and i rarely need to use the locking screw to hold them in place. Ive never had one turn on its own when its in a gun. The lock screws on mine are only used when im hunting. Thats no time for a pin to jump and tie up a gun. If you use the locking screw theres a proper way. Some guys just torque it against hte barrel and if you do that you can put stress on it and bind up your cylinder. The proper way is to drill an indentation in the barrel to recieve the pin and then file the pin head until it fits in the indentation but does not bottom out when the screw is tightened all the way.