PDA

View Full Version : season new molds with Militec-1

WBG
11-01-2015, 03:48 PM
I learned something that seems to work for me:

First, remeber that I have only cast about 200 bullets in my life so this is not expert advice.

I took my new aluminum mold apart and put all the parts in small container of Militec and heated it in the oven to 200F or more for a couple of half hour cycles. That's it.

( file:///Users/briangallup/Desktop/MILITEC-%20Product%20List.webloc )

This proceedure started for me years ago, experimenting with an oil additive called Power-Up.
I would do it to my 1911, then wipe the gun dry and shoot it all day with never a "smoke stack".
Then I ended up doing it with everything I had that went "bang". We jokingly called it "Brian's Action Pollish Job".
It worked!

( Also used it in all my vehicles. Some vehicles/machinery that had temp. gauges seemed to run cooler. Of course you never know for sure on that stuff.)

Then they stopped making Power-Up. I think it had some toxic stuff in it.
The next best thing to come along was Militec and I happily started using it with good/similar results on my firearms.

I later read that the Militec company was sending free to USA troops who asked, in the desert because the standard issue gun lube was not so good in the very fine sand/dust. ( This is all third hand info.)

Everyone may have heard this story but they say that some of the troops would soak thier weapons in Militec and set them on a pallet under a black plastic tarp, in the hot afternoon desert sun, as a solar heater and thereby "season" their weapons in Militec.

I'm just the messenger here but it makes a great story. Maybe someone can confirm or correct this.

Anyhow, that's how I came to try militec for seasoning my bullet mold. It worked - I think. Of course the mold may have worked perfectly without it too. "I'm just Sayin'". Brian

p.s. Militec tastes terrible. B.

Love Life
11-01-2015, 04:12 PM
Yes, in 2005, 2006, and 2007 Militec sent us free goodies to Iraq.

Omega
11-01-2015, 04:45 PM
They sent me a case in 03' when we could not get it via the supply system even though they were awarded an NSN; we would get CLP instead. Then we were ordered to only use CLP by DA, my guys and I stuck with Militec-1 because the fine sand would gum up our M4s with CLP.

WBG
11-01-2015, 04:45 PM
Thanks for the inside info Love Life. Did it work very well? Do you think that "heating" story is accurate? Brian

WBG
11-01-2015, 04:48 PM
Omega, That info is fastinating. So it worked! Do you know if the "heating " method was really used? Brian

Love Life
11-01-2015, 04:54 PM
I never saw the heating method used. We applied it as directed during a BZO as a base layer. With the summer temps in Iraq, I can definitely see that heating method being useful per the Militec literature. We saw temps well north of 100 F.

WBG
11-01-2015, 05:02 PM
Love Life, That is hot for that kind of duty! Thanks for the info. While I was never a soldier, these things really interest me. Brian

Omega
11-04-2015, 01:22 AM
Omega, That info is fastinating. So it worked! Do you know if the "heating " method was really used? Brian
We thoroughly cleaned our weapons, used some degreaser then applied the Militech and left them wet. Went out to the burms and fired some rounds (a mag or two ) in semi. Afterwards we cleaned our weapons again, normally, reapplied the Militech but this time just a light coat, almost dry. We would repeat this about once a month, and of course we would maintain our weapons daily. Another product we used was tuf cloth by sentry solutions, which seems to work good too but I just used it on my sidearm. Still use the tuf cloth on my glock23, leaves it looking and feeling dry but water beads on it.

WBG
11-04-2015, 06:13 AM
Omega, Interesting. The heat is an important part of the treatment obviously. Thanks for the info. I am going to check out tuf cloth. Brian