PDA

View Full Version : New Brass - Just load it???

Sam Casey
11-01-2015, 12:06 PM
Am getting back into loading metallics. With new Starline brass do I just prime, add powder & seat bullet? These will be light 41mag and 223 loads. No case prep required - case sizing, trimming, etc? Thanks for any input.

slim1836
11-01-2015, 12:23 PM
I run all new brass through a FCD, check for length, trim if necessary, & bevel inside and outside of case mouth just to satisfy myself. That's just me, others will chime in for sure.

Slim

Calamity Jake
11-01-2015, 12:29 PM
New brass needs to be ran thru a sizer to make it round and deburred at the mouth.
For rifle brass I also uniform the primer flash hole in side the case and trim to length.

bullet maker 57
11-01-2015, 01:25 PM
I do the same as Calamity Jake.

JSnover
11-01-2015, 02:00 PM
Yup, size it and de-burr both ends.

EDG
11-01-2015, 05:05 PM
Make sure you round out the case mouths by expanding the neck. If the factory put burrs on the case mouths you can remove the burrs by deburring or turning. One deburred they are ready to load.

Sam Casey
11-01-2015, 06:04 PM
Thanks to all! Slim - FCD? Sorry, it's been 40 years since I loaded for rifle or pistol. Been shot gunning and bird hunting, but good old friend can't shotgun any more and has me back out to rifle & pistol range 2-3 days a week and I enjoy it a lot.

Newboy
11-01-2015, 06:08 PM
Depends on what you are doing. Accurate ones, I size, uniform primer pockets, de-burr flash hole, turn necks, trim, and weigh (either give away or use the heavy/light brass for plinking).

Artful
11-01-2015, 06:42 PM
Thanks to all! Slim - FCD?
LEE Factory Crimp Die - Just use the sizer die if you don't have one.
But do trim to uniform length and debur before setting your die to seat/crimp the boolits.

Bzcraig
11-01-2015, 09:24 PM
Just me, but I also run mine through the tumbler to clean up a bit.

bangerjim
11-01-2015, 09:59 PM
I have ordered and loaded many MANY hundreds of rounds of several Starline brass calibers and all were perfect right out of the box, no prep ever needed. I did check them , but all were excellent. Other brands.............not so much!

They make good stuff, from the many I have used. And I just cannot seem to wear them out!

banger

Beagle333
11-01-2015, 10:32 PM
I flare the mouth a little, prime it, and load it. I don't resize until once fired.

slim1836
11-01-2015, 10:47 PM
FCD=full case sizing die as opposed to neck sizer die.

Slim

country gent
11-01-2015, 11:44 PM
New brass cases can be out of round bodies ca be out of round dinged from shipping and handling. I run thru a full length sizer lightly lubed, then check overall length and on some calibers lightly trim cae mouths to square them up. I then deburr and chamfer lightly. I also deburr flashholes, and uniform primer pockets. On my 243 I also neck turn them since it is a tight necked chamber. Its easier to do this at the start right from the get go for me.

Huvius
11-02-2015, 01:39 PM
I use Starline for 45LC and their lengths have always been good to go. Some are out of round or dented at the case mouth but I just smooth those out with an empty 30'06 case before lubing and filling the case feed hopper. Mine get resized because that is how the press is set up. Using a single stage press, FLS is always a good idea but tedious when not depriming.

DLCTEX
11-02-2015, 10:02 PM
It depends on the brand. Norma brass in 257 Wby. was dead on for length, and had case mouths chamfered inside and out on 100 cases. Win. 243 had necks that appeared to be pinch cut, varied in length as much as .011, with jagged mouths. The Normas cost $145 per C and the Win. Cost $22 per C. You get what you pay for.
All Starline I have had have been top quality.

John Boy
11-02-2015, 10:09 PM
trim if necessaryTrimming new brass before they are fire formed will end up with brass too short.

Motor
11-03-2015, 02:55 PM
Since pistol brass typically gets a neck expander/mouth flair I usually just load it.

Bottle neck rifle brass especially bulk packed always seem to have dinged up necks. While I don't normally debur flash holes except for when I get anal about brass prep, like the others who posted I have found it totally necessary to debur the case mouths of new brass. If you don't and are NOT using for cast boolits with a mouth flair you will shave jacket material. This may not be so with some high end brands but it certainly is with your normal Remington, Winchester, etc. etc......

Motor

Half Dog
11-07-2015, 07:42 AM
New brass? It's been so long I don't remember.

Tackleberry41
11-10-2015, 10:32 AM
I have learned to size new brass. Went to use some new stuff out of the bag and the flare tool offered little resistance, a bullet could be pushed in some of them with finger pressure. So I size any new brass now, just to make sure. I trim any new brass to, its seldom a uniform length out of the bag.

leadman
11-18-2015, 03:06 AM
I do size them, but set the full length sizing die so the bolt will close with a slight resistance if possible. Some brass is already too short so I fire form it first, then set the die and load. I have found a couple of new cases with no flash hole so running them thru the sizer find these.
New 7mm Rem Mag brass of several brands I have bought have all been very short from the belt to the shoulder and will last only for a couple of loading if I do not fire form it first. Technically headspace is good since it is determined by the belt and no spec for belt to shoulder.