PDA

View Full Version : Did some 200yd shooting with my Omega in prep for Mule deer hunting.

koger
10-31-2015, 10:27 PM
I have my gun pretty well figured out, from 100-150, but seemed like everything was out of ordinary the other day. I finally did a little adjusting, shooting 100grs 2FFG, and shot 4 in a row, where I was aiming, in a 3" group at 210yds, on a cardboard deer, right behind the edge of the shoulder, then blew 1 low. I finally figured I was not having a great day to shoot Then I picked out a rock about 5" in diameter at 191 yds, and powdered it. Go figure. I was in a hurry, getting ready to go to work, lot on my mind, will shoot some more in a few days. I was using Harvester crush rib sabots, and Scorpion Ballistic tip funnel points, 260 gr. Have taken 13 deer with these slugs, recovered one, last buck I shot 2 weeks ago today, 260 gr when it left the muzzle, penetrated 4 feet of bone and muscle, mushroomed perfect, cleaned the meat and crud out of it, weighed 258gr!! Now for me, that is perfect performance!! I also noted that at my last 3 shots, barrel was fouling awful, and I swabbed between shots with damp and dry patch, fouling was worst first 4 inches from the breech. And some days, you just don't shoot your best, period, then chalk it up to what it is, and start another day.

idahoron
11-01-2015, 12:56 AM
I have had good and bad days. Recognizing the difference is the thing. If a guy can't he can end up chasing the dragon and never get any where.

koger
11-01-2015, 06:32 PM
Ron I ended up checking everything, and both sets of rings, had a screw loose, where they clamp on the base, how that happened I do not know, I had loctited them when put on, about a complete turn on both. I shot today at 100yds, 4 in one ragged hole about 3/4" long, will shoot some more at 200 this week, glad I found the problem! I shot a .45 Hawken off hand, was making the same hole bigger, and shot 3 shots off hand at 50 on cardboard deer, kept all 3 nearly touching in the shoulder.

idahoron
11-01-2015, 07:46 PM
Good luck!!