PDA

View Full Version : Brazilian M954 30-06 bolt gun

mrrch
10-31-2015, 12:31 PM
I'm looking into one.
Anybody have any info? Good, bad, run away fast?
I have all this range pickup 30-06 brass to reload.

Ben
10-31-2015, 01:39 PM
Is that a 954 or a 1954 ?

JSnover
10-31-2015, 01:55 PM
https://www.libertytreecollectors.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=3655

?

mrrch
10-31-2015, 02:05 PM
That's the type

Der Gebirgsjager
11-01-2015, 11:41 AM
A Mauser is a Mauser is a Mauser--even if made by Itajuba. It's rare to find a bad one. If the price is right, I'd buy it. The clincher for me would be the fact that .30-06 is the original chambering. I have two Peruvian Mausers in my collection, both made in German arsenals, that were rechambered from the original 7.65x53mm simply by running a .30-06 chambering reamer into them and erasing the original chamber. But I guess it wasn't convenient or economical to change out the .311 dia. bore barrels at the same time, so they aren't very accurate with .30-06 ammo. They do well with .311 bullets handloaded into the .30-06 cases. The historical background on this is that during WW II the Latin and South American nations were given the responsibility of defending their territory against invasion and as aid the U.S. would provide all of the ammo they needed for compatible weapons. As far as I know, only Brazil contributed troops to the European Theater and were armed with U.S. weapons. But the others were happy to convert their rifles to use the free ammo, and then stuck with the .30-06 until semi-autos replaced them. The Brazilians were among the very few to then manufacture new rifles in .30-06, and also 1911 pistols. I'd grab it.

Remiel
11-01-2015, 01:42 PM
My buddy has one the 954, he loves it, his still gets under 1 in groups w/ hand loads, he scoped it and brings it almost every range day. its is a k98 action built by the Brazilians. however there are stories of temper issues with the metal and receivers stretch, so if you find one, head space is super important.

Huffmanite
11-01-2015, 04:09 PM
Few weeks ago, accompanied a shooting buddy to a local gun show.....he was interested in buying another 7x57 mauser rifle. We found a nice condition Peru FN mauser and its tag had 7x57 on it. While I'm fairly knowledgeable on surplus military rifles, it was the first Peru mauser I'd ever seen and couldn't recall any info on them. I was curious what the 30 stamped on the top of receiver behind the clip insert notch represented. Chuckle, my buddy discovered what the 30 meant when he got home with the rifle and was able to drop a 7mm bullet down the barrel. Yep, it was a 30-06 that FN had rebarreled for Peru. By the way, in fire position, the safety on rear of bolt of an FN Peru 30-06, is flipped to the right side of the bolt. I'd noticed the position of the safety when I had examined the rifle, but didn't think much about it. Regardless, my friend is happy with the rifle due to the groups he's shot at range with it.

WILCO
11-01-2015, 04:16 PM
That's the type

https://www.libertytreecollectors.com/productcart/pc/catalog/Brz055.JPG

Bigslug
11-10-2015, 10:11 AM
Educational materials: http://www.carbinesforcollectors.com/1brazil.html

I Gunbrokered in one of the .30-06 08/34's for the sake of really liking the M98 mechanism, but not wanting to add another cartridge to the inventory. Have not shot it extensively, but it's a reliable shooter.

TNsailorman
11-16-2015, 07:30 PM
During the mid 1960's the old DCM ran military qualification type shoots in our area once a year. They gave you 50 rounds of 30-06 fmj ammo to use in a 100 yard qualification . If you shot the required minimum score (which was really low), you got to keep the empties and they gave you another 100 rounds free to take home. After I got thru qualifying and received my 50 rounds, a rather large gentleman came up to me and asked if I would finish his qualification shot or him. He had one of those Brazilian mausers in 30-06 and he said it was beating him to death. His rifle looked like a new mauser so I agreed to finish his target for him(he had only shot something like 10 to 15 rounds). After I finished and his target was brought back to the table, he was so please with the way his rifle had shot for me tht he gave me his 100 rounds of free ammo and his empties. That was a real bonanza for me in those days. I do remember that the rifle shot about 2 inches high at 100 yards but held a nice tight group for me.