PDA

View Full Version : Beginner's Luck

Bent Ramrod
04-10-2008, 02:17 AM
Well, after only two practice sessions with the Italian Sharps .45-2.6" Rifle, one to get a few representative groups and 300 yard sight settings and one to get 400, 500 and 600-yard sight settings, I attended the Bakersfield Muzzle Loaders' "Quigley Shoot" up in Kelso Valley. This was a bunch of various shaped steel targets at distances from 300 to slightly over 600 yards, hung at various angles and elevations to the shooting line up a windy canyon. Shooting was sitting off cross sticks, five shots at each target except the last one.

I had all kinds of trouble with the sighters (many fired at the wrong targets while the spotters looked in vain for dust splashes around the right ones) and the first couple of Record shots on the 300-yard Diamond. I barely could see it in the sights, and I hit it only once in three shots. Then somebody shot through the chain holding the plate up, and I drove the Shoot coordinator up there to help him rehang the thing.

This delayed the festivities long enough so our second relay caught a rare calm spell (i.e., breeze mild and blowing in only one or two directions at once) and I managed to hit it at least once more. After that, I seemed to get a second wind, got better with the use of the cross sticks and finding that little bubble of air in the level on the front sight. The Pig target was easier to see though farther away; that got hit with some regularity. I was in the second relay, which seemed to draw better conditions all along until the last target on which we got two shots. By then it was blowing so hard that spotting scopes were toppling, ammo boxes were overturning and the spotters' chairs were blowing away. Only one guy hit the 5 bonus point Quigley "bucket," I couldn't even see it in the sights, and my two shots netted nothing.

However, when the number of hits was totaled up, the Shoot coordinator and I were tied for first; since he'd won it twice already, he let me have the honor. (A shootoff would have settled my hash in one shot.) The trophy is a metal bucket with "Quigley" and a buffalo skull on it, which I get to put my name on and keep for a year. Also a buffalo skull medal with a ribbon to hang around my neck. There were at least 15 shooters out there, five or six with Trapdoor Springfields, and these did very well, even with the standard triggers and military sights. There were a couple or three Remington Rolling Blocks, original and Italian, one Browning High Wall and the rest were all Sharps replicas of one nationality or another. The shooters were all great people who made a stranger most of them had seen for the first time feel welcome.

That Pedersoli Sharps I was using was a totally different experience than the various ancient black-powder rifles I've collected and tried to get to shoot with the original propellant. It certainly forgave a multitude of sins on my part. I was amazed at how easy it was to manage, and how consistent the accuracy was. I'd be doing good to hit a two foot target at 600 yards with a modern rifle. Here, for a few shots anyway, I was holding off slightly and up slightly, and then back slightly and down slightly as the wind switched and swirled around, no time to adjust the sights for conditions before they changed again. I'd finally figure there was nothing else I could do to improve things and fire on my best guess. There'd be a breathless few seconds, then just as I was figuring I'd missed, the target would jerk, somebody would yell "Hit!" and if the wind hadn't shut down my electronic earmuffs, I'd hear the bullet hit the target. And I'd think "Wow, did I really steer it through the wind like that?" I got enough hits that way to at least be able to delude myself that I was a premier judge of wind, but maybe it was just the Paul Jones boolit from the borrowed mould that was wind-proof and duffer-proof.

There's something very soul-satisfying to have the gun go off, see the smoke clear, come back out of recoil, wait a few more seconds, and then see the target jerk and swing, and then a couple seconds later hear the "clanngg!!" come back from a third of a mile away. I've definitely got to do more of this kind of thing.

Boz330
04-10-2008, 07:56 AM
Addictive ain't it!!!!!!! Good shootin for your first time out. You will have plenty of time to experience the other side of that coin. One time you think ain't nuthin hard about this game and the next time you get a heapin helpin of humble pie.[smilie=1:

Bob

StrawHat
04-10-2008, 09:11 AM
I've definitely got to do more of this kind of thing.

You got that right.

Not your ordinary target match!

Now lets work on why you are having trouble seeing the target.

What kind of rear sight are you using? I see you have a spirit level on the barrel so I am guessing some kind of aperture rear sight.

If you are not seeing targets because it is dark when looking through the aperture, it is time to switch to a larger opening. Maybe try it with no dick in place. The eye will center the front sight in the opening and you can see if it helps.

Different light conditions merit different aperture sizes.

Good luck

floodgate
04-10-2008, 12:25 PM
Dave:

Well done!!

Doug

Don McDowell
04-10-2008, 12:36 PM
:-D Give that gun away, run the other direction and never look back while you still can.:) Save yourself before its to late, and you find you have severl hundred pounds of lead , a multitude of molds, and cases of bp stashed around here and there and all the other stuff that goes with the game....
RUN QUICK SAVE YOURSELF WHILE YOU CAN:drinks::mrgreen:

keeper89
04-10-2008, 01:06 PM
Too late, methinks the hook is already set!!!!:-D

montana_charlie
04-10-2008, 07:43 PM
If you are not seeing targets because it is dark when looking through the aperture, it is time to switch to a larger opening. Maybe try it with no dick in place.
I certainly have to agree with Straw Hat.
It's a LOT easier to see through a tang sight if it doesn't have a dick stuck in it...
CM

Bent Ramrod
04-11-2008, 01:38 AM
Strawhat,

The sight-in day was pretty bright and the contrast was good between the background and the targets. The shoot day had the light coming from a different direction and the targets were less definite. The desert around here is kind of khaki colored and I could see the target OK while I looked at it, but through the globe of the front sight it would fade out. I would then move the sight out of the way, acquire the target again and move the globe back. The spirit level would be out of plumb and after getting this back in the center I had about three seconds of seeing the target before it would fade again. I had a whole card full of different size and type globes, but it didn't occur to me to switch them. Next time for sure. I also have an appointment with the opthamologist in another month or so. My left eye is getting a cataract and my right (shooting) eye isn't very far behind; the optometrist said he couldn't do anything for me until I had the lens replaced. The joys of excessive maturity.:roll:

Don and Boz: It sure is addictive and too late, I'm afraid to turn back. More expensive than Skeet shooting and more time consuming as well; my personal best is 2 hours to load 50 presized and primed shells with precast and lubed boolits. Old World Craftsmanship for sure. Fortunately, the guy who sold me the rifle had worked out the load data, at least for one good combination. He's gone to volume measurement and does very well with it; I was still weighing charges.

Doug, Thanks! Can't believe it myself! Never though of myself as a competitor. I'm generally happy when I'm an also-ran and not at the bottom of the list. As Boz says, I'm sure there will be a reckoning in the future. One of the guys who was doing very well on the sight-ins and had all the targets ranged and checked to the nearest yard was "there or thereabouts" around the target when the chips were down. I'm sure my turn is coming. Even more reason to gloat up a storm right now.:mrgreen:

Boz330
04-11-2008, 09:00 AM
I'm dealing with the eye thing as well. Cataracts aren't bad enough yet for lens replacement but damned sure bad enough to not be able to see very good shooting. I have had exactly the same problem as you. I finally broke down and got an MVA scope. Still trying to get everything set up though. It gets old pretty quick making noise and smoke on one end but not the other.:Fire:

Enjoy
Bob

floodgate
04-11-2008, 01:05 PM
Dave:

As I have posted here before, both Bev and I had our cataracts replaced with implants (which can be ordered to provide best focus at whatever distance you need) over ten years ago, and the results have been completely satisfactory. The process is simple, fast and painless, and with current techniques you'll be up, out and around within a day. It is truly great to no longer go around feeling as if someone has smeared mayonnaise over your glasses. It'd best if your ophthalmologist speks "shooting", so (s)he understands your needs; if not, an invitation to the range may help - and might yield us another recruit.

What do you think of the proposed California handgun ammunition licensing bill? Thanks to T/C, the BFR-niks and others, virtually any cartridge you can name is now a "pistol bullet". UGGGHH!!!

Doug

Bent Ramrod
04-11-2008, 10:07 PM
Thanks for the encouragement on the cataract operation. The guy who comes here a few days a week is supposed to be the best, so I have hopes, anyway.

Our masters in Sacramento and the legions of Concerned in SF and LA never seem to give up, that's for sure.

montana_charlie
04-12-2008, 11:52 AM
the legions of Concerned in SF and LA never seem to give up, that's for sure.
That's because they were born and bred to be 'activists'. They are actually incapable of doing anything else with any degree of expertise.

Those who are 'housewives' rarely see their 'houses', and those who are lawyers are the type who rely on 'technicalities' to keep defendants from just punishment.

In all cases, an activist's 'real life' is just a way to kill time between protest marches. That is why they are not very good at it.

If an activist can't find a cause, he will invent one...or whither into a mumbling lunacy (which closely resembles his normal self, but is less loud).
CM

Bent Ramrod
04-12-2008, 08:30 PM
I'm afraid I must agree with you on the subject of "activists," Montana Charlie. They are a form of social vampire, bred in the dank decay of social problems. They have no lives of their own, and only attain what pseudo-life they are able to when they are co-opting the lives of the rest of us to their purposes. There isn't a single aspect of anybody's life anywhere that they do not regard as grist for their mills, legitimately and rightfully subject to their political manipulation or coercion.

The fact that some of them are occasionally on "our" side, I am beginning to think, does not really mitigate the odium deserved by the group as a whole. If you have a "good" activist, it's only because they're needed to fight a "bad" activist. And they only seem to palliate the social problems that engendered them to the degree they need to make it a permanent growth industry.

Sorry for the cynicism, but I've lived in California way too long.

StrawHat
04-14-2008, 07:31 PM
Strawhat,

...I had a whole card full of different size and type globes, but it didn't occur to me to switch them.

BR,

I was referring to enlarging the hole in the rear sight.

Never have used a globe sight so it might work to open it also.

I usually have a tang rear sight and a blade or "stick" fore sight.

Keep trying stuff.

wills
04-14-2008, 11:42 PM
http://www.buffaloarms.com/browse.cfm/2,224.html