PDA

View Full Version : Ruger No.1 45-70, boolit recommendations?

gishooter
10-31-2015, 10:15 AM
Good morning,
I'm seriously looking for a Ruger No.1 in .45-70. There are several nice ones I've found local to me. What mold and boolit styles work well for this rifle?
Does the date of manufacture dictate what cast loads work better? For example one of the rifles is a 1970's vintage, the other is probably early 90's. Are the barrels cut the same?

Clay M
10-31-2015, 12:06 PM
No the barrels are not the same. Ruger used a company named Wilson for all their barrels prior to 96.
Ruger now makes their own barrels, which IMO are far superior to the older barrels.
I have owned both in many different calibers.

As far as a cast bullet, it may depend on if you are looking for target use or hunting?

I mostly use my #1 .45/70 for target, and have had great luck with the Saeco #017 350gr gas check bullet..

gishooter
10-31-2015, 03:44 PM
Thanks for the information. I guess I'll look at the newer ones. But the wood looks better (in the pictures) on the older one. I would want to use it for hunting mostly.

Lead Fred
10-31-2015, 05:07 PM
<----------------------

I made a chamber cast, then had one of these made.
Even works good in button rifling

cainttype
10-31-2015, 05:38 PM
<----------------------

I made a chamber cast, then had one of these made.
Even works good in button rifling

That is exactly the type mold I had tried to get NOE to make for the 45 caliber rifle. The discussion turned to using a removable base pin instead of the screw-adjustable base, and I bought one anyway.
I'd have preferred this type, but the group went in the other direction. They both have their advantages.
Who knows, maybe Al will eventually offer something similar to this in various calibers.

Clay M
10-31-2015, 07:31 PM
Thanks for the information. I guess I'll look at the newer ones. But the wood looks better (in the pictures) on the older one. I would want to use it for hunting mostly.

You are absolutely correct , the wood is better on some of the older ones.
I would personally rather have the newer ones with what I consider to have a better barrel. My new ones shoot great with the right loads..
Believe me I love great wood, but I am a shooter..
I only care about accuracy..
The #1 is a challenge. I need a great barrel.
I believe that Ruger is making the best barrels they have ever made right now.
Perhaps one of the most favorite rifles I have ever owned in my Ruger #1 in .405 win..
If they ever offer it again I will indeed buy another.
I want another .375 H&H ,and then again I don't.
I have no real need for the rifle.
I would love to have the .450/400 to shoot cast bullets, and if I were a millionaire I would have two.
I would true love to own one, but am not willing to sell my prized Gibson 59
335 to do so..Perhaps in the next life,... if there is one.

Good luck my friend..The #1 .45/70's that I have owned shot very well. Probably the easiest of all to get to shoot well.

I know where there is a very nice .450/400 with my name on it,..but I have other family obligations..
Such is life..

big bore 99
10-31-2015, 07:41 PM
Been having great results with the Lee 340 gr. in mine.

swamp
10-31-2015, 10:47 PM
I mostly shoot the Lyman 457191,or sometimes a 400gr. Lyman or Lee.

gishooter
11-01-2015, 03:21 PM
Thanks for all the replies. Will ponder on the mold choices. But first I need to buy the rifle!