PDA

View Full Version : Spencer Repeating Carbine; pricing and conversion

The Ozzman
10-31-2015, 09:56 AM
Hey guys.

I am wondering if anyone has any first hand experience with the original Spencer carbine? I beleive they were originally in .52 rimfire aka 56-56 Spencer.

What I am wondering is, if one was available, what would you pay for one in good-very good condition with shiny bore?

Is it possible to convert the original breechblock to accept centrefire ammo, rather than buying a whole new breech block?

I have seen a couple of these for sale here in the past 12 months and wondering what a person should pay. I am weighing up wether I would leave it as is, or convert it to be a shooter for BPCR and such.

Cheers guys

fg-machine
10-31-2015, 10:47 PM
i do not know what real world value is , but for an original carbine in good shape with a shiny bore i would be very willing to pay a bit of a premium to get it if i had to have one ,... 12 years ago i paid $800 for a fairly rough carbine with a questionable bore , and i was happy to pay that as it was the first possibly shootable spencer i had ever found that was for sale
if it is something you want and can afford it dont get to wrapped up in price ... spencers aren't exactly easy to find anymore , let along in good to very good condition . buy it and enjoy it .

as to converting one to shoot ... this is a no brainer , buy a new centerfire breech block and keep the original unmolested , i don't know what currant prices are but when i bought mine it was under $150 and required very a minimum of fitting

The Ozzman
11-01-2015, 08:16 AM
Thanks fg machine.

I think you are right, if I see one in good condition I should grab it. There is an Auction coming in a few months here in Australia and they usually have spencers.

The reason I asked about centrefire conversion is that I have never seen the replacement breechblocks here. For me it would be purely a collectors item, but, I would like to have the option of shooting it one day before I die.

If one comes up for sale, will post pictures and price.

Thanks

herbert buckland
11-01-2015, 07:14 PM
If you want a Spencer for shooting the 56-50 cartridge is much simpler to reload and is more accurate than the early 56-56 cartridge.I imported a center fire Spencer upper block for my carbine years ago(you also need to get a center fire follower for the magazine tube) but getting one sent to Australia now is very hard now as the US shops will not export

Edward
11-01-2015, 08:25 PM
Mine went for $2400.00 to a collector in Conn 6+ yrs ago

elk hunter
11-02-2015, 11:21 AM
Just saw that this company has a couple of Spencers for sale. www.lodgewood.com (http://www.lodgewood.com) I don't know how the US price would relate to Australia.

I bought a Model 1860 Spencer a few years ago that had been fitted with a sporter barrel in 56-46. The original barrel would have been 56-56. That barrel was cracked at the extractor cut in the chamber and didn't fit at all well. I made up a new 50 caliber carbine barrel, made a chamber reamer in the 1865 model 56-50 caliber and centerfire breech block. I found out that the reproduction 56-50 brass doesn't work with the original extractor so I had to make cases from 50-70 US. It was a bit of work but, I have less than $800.00 in it and it is fun to shoot. Some day I hope to take a deer with it.

missionary5155
11-02-2015, 01:56 PM
Greetings
If you hunt about a bit on internet you can find the center fire breach blocks for $150 US new. Bought mine about 6 months back. Most of these breach blocks are in the hands of "skirmisher" outfits.
Mike in Peru

ndnchf
11-02-2015, 07:08 PM
I agree with the comment about brass. The new made 56-50 brass rim was not made to work with originals. I have a M1871 Springfield Spencer conversion. I had to make my 56-50 from 50-70 brass. And oddly, this rifle take a longer case than normal 56-50. In fact it's nearly identical to the 50-45 cartidge Springfield made for cadet rifles. Coincidence? Maybe, maybe not.

Ibgreen
11-16-2015, 10:25 PM
If you can find a New Model post war Spencer, it will handle the Starline Brass wonderfully.

The Ozzman
11-17-2015, 08:03 AM
Thankyou guys.

I have not been here in a couple weeks.

I am still considering the purchase. I am not sure if I will be able to find a company to send me a new breechblock or not.

It is a fine rifle, I will let you all know if anything develops.

Could anyone suggest someone who would send a breechblock to me in Australia if I was to buy the gun?

Cheers