PDA

View Full Version : Schofield 45LC Jacketed

Circuit Rider
10-30-2015, 05:32 PM
Purchased a Schofield 7" 45LC (Uberti) and did a search but didn't find the info I wanted. Any reason not to load J-word bullets in it? I would think as long as I didn't go hot I'd be fine using 45 Colt loads. Thanks for any and all advise. CR

bedbugbilly
10-30-2015, 06:51 PM
Best thing is to go right to the horse and hear it from the horse' mouth . . . give Uberti a call and ask them.

junkbug
10-30-2015, 07:09 PM
My belief is that Uberti will never tell you it is OK to use reloads in their gun. They will probably confirm it is perfectly OK to use standard velocity jacketed factory ammo in it. I have a Uberti Schofield in 44-40, and have never heard not to use jacketed standard factory ammo in it. Of course, I was told verbally not to use hi-speed rifle factory ammo in it, but that has not been available for years.

Top-breaks are not strong. It has been challenging for me to find good data for mine. I rarely go beyond starting loads designed for the Colt SAA. Some rifle loads designed for the 1873 Winchester replicas has me interested, especially since some use slower powders than pistol loads. But I tread very lightly with these. Now I just need to find a good 44-40 mold.

Rolling Stone
10-30-2015, 09:11 PM
CR,
Start about on the low side for about any powder you have listed for 45 colt. In my SAA's I like Trailboss and almost exactly what is listed for beginning loads. Try 2 to 4 before loading a lot, and see how your hand likes them. I have one with 1851 grip frame that is really hard on my hand with very little more than this. When I got it, it had birds head and I couldn't stand even wimpy loads so I had to change them. Why are you wanting to use j-word bullets? Santa bring you a bunch and you just don't want to cast?

Circuit Rider
10-31-2015, 07:21 AM
Rolling Stone, No I just wanted to be able to. I've already cast a hundred or so in 200 gr and am going to do some in 255 gr. I'm east of Knoxville, near Blaine,Tn. Gents, Thanks for the advise. CR