PDA

View Full Version : 1901 Swede M94/14 School Shooting Carbine

Razor
04-09-2008, 11:57 PM
Very scarce Swedish M94/14 Carbine
Only made in 1901
Only carbine manufactured with a straight bolt handle.
Estimated at less than a 1000 made.
(IIRC.. there is one with a number of 113x?)
*this does not compute*
At last count.. only about 16-17-18 examples known.
Matching numbers except for '901' vs '601' on the safety. (dyslexic Swede?)
Only 1 of 2 types of Swedes that have a letter prefix to the serial number..
All other carbines manufactured with bent bolt handles.
This is 1 of 3 (?) known with the original straight bolt handle.. the other dozen or so known School carbines , had the bolt handles bent or replaced in the 1914 modification.
Just thought I'd share...

Razor
:castmine:

dromia
04-10-2008, 02:11 AM
Nice and collectable rifle, congratulations.

My 94 is a coastal artillery one with the early non bayonet nosecap.

Razor
04-10-2008, 08:50 PM
Thanks..
How about posting some photos of your carbine Dromia ???

Razor

PS... What's a "dromia" ?????

dromia
04-11-2008, 01:43 AM
Ask and ye shall receive. :-D

M94 Carbine:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/adamsutherland/CG%20M94/CGCarbine1RS.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/adamsutherland/CG%20M94/CGCarbine2RSTop.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/adamsutherland/CG%20M94/CGCarbine4Muzzleandnosecapa.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/adamsutherland/CG%20M94/CGCarbine5RSboltreara.jpg

Dromia

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/adamsutherland/Brora/Dromia_1.jpg

Razor
04-11-2008, 09:58 PM
Wow... That '94 is a beaut...
Walnut, right ??
Thanks for sharing..

"dromia" = house ?

Razor

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
04-11-2008, 11:58 PM
dromia,

Love the gun, love the house, looks like a great place to live. Your place?

Dave

Dutchman
04-26-2008, 04:13 AM
Very scarce Swedish M94/14 Carbine

94/14 carbines are not scarce.

Only made in 1901

The skolsjutningskarbin was made only in 1901, true. But that's not what you have here.

Estimated at less than a 1000 made.
(IIRC.. there is one with a number of 113x?)
*this does not compute*

The exact number made isn't known. The formerly estimated number was 1,000 but we know of numbers higher so obviously there were more but not a lot more.

Matching numbers except for '901' vs '601' on the safety. (dyslexic Swede?)

Pet peeve of mine when somebody says "matching except....". That means its not matching. It has one or more mis-match so its not "matching except...." its just mis-match part X and the rest matching.
And no, the mis-match number isn't the result of a dyslexic Swede. Its just a mis-matched part.

This is 1 of 3 (?) known with the original straight bolt handle.. the other dozen or so known School carbines

I'm aware this carbine of yours is currently at auction with most of this same wording you've used in this note. I'm sorry to tell you what you have isn't a school carbine. Its an ordinary m/94-14 built from a school carbine. The value of that S-prefix is in its original configuration, not as it is now. I know you feel different but its just wishful thinking on your part. I've already been made aware of this carbine so I was a little surprised to see it in this forum. There's just nothing that makes your carbine worth what you think it is... what you hope to get by snagging some unknowing person with more money than sense. In my opinion, you're misrepresenting this carbine as being a school carbine and its not. It would behoove you to correct that misconception post haste lest someone who inadvertently buys it thinking its something that its not.

I'm commenting on this because I get emails all the time asking about things such as your carbine. Sometimes people don't like hearing the truth and I hope you take these words in the spirit that they're meant, that is to inform & educate with the hope that you'll correct the wording of your description.

This is what an unmodified skolsjutningskarbin looks like --
http://tinyurl.com/6ej49s

Dutch

Razor
04-29-2008, 01:41 AM
I'm sorry to tell you what you have isn't a school carbine. Its an ordinary m/94-14 built from a school carbine.
OK... I see the distinction you're making...And, I can agree..

what you hope to get by snagging some unknowing person with more money than sense. In my opinion, you're misrepresenting this carbine as being a school carbine and its not. It would behoove you to correct that misconception post haste lest someone who inadvertently buys it thinking its something that its not.

It was NOT my intention to misrepresent or snag a sucker...
I must say I resent your implication that you know my motive..
Five years ago when I located this carbine and posted about it, I received several
congratulatory posts on my "school carbine".. (AHA.. It IS a school carbine)
I received a couple of offers to buy my "School carbine" via email (AHA ..It's a school carbine)
About a year later, another 94/14 "school carbine" just like mine but with one less
number matching the receiver, went at auction for $3240/something... (AHA.. it's a school carbine and its worth something)

Based on my rather limited info and exposure to the rarified atmosphere of real collectibles, I feel I was honest in my understanding that I had a School Carbine..

Immediately upon reading your post.. I ended the auction..and, The next day, I edited the ad to reflect more accurate info.. Not so much because of your admonition to do so, but rather because I felt it was the right thing to do.

I hope you take these words in the spirit that they're meant, that is to inform & educate
I'll take your word as to the spirit of your reply, but I must say also I find some of your phraseology somewhat contradictatory

I was a little surprised to see it in this forum.
What ?? It's not a military rifle..err.. carbine now ?

Razor

Dutchman
04-30-2008, 09:29 PM
You did the right and proper thing and everybody's seen that you did the right and proper thing. Not everyone would do that so I doubly appreciate that you did.

I'm familiar with the $3,200 carbine you're talking about and I'm familiar with the circumstance of its sale. That one incident doesn't make for a market value of all such conversions and that's all it is, a conversion. Offhand I can think of only two 100% original school carbines, one pictured in Crown Jewels and owned by Dana Jones. The other one popped up in someone's hands and is in real nice condition judging from the photos I have.

I'm used to running up against opportunistic sellers who regularly misrepresent their wares so I'll ask that you forgive some of my cynical verbage. Nobody can ask for more than what you did in relisting it with clarified description. I hope you can appreciate the spirit of my desire to see some integrity maintained among those who collect Swedish military firearms worldwide.

Contrary to what Tuco would like, we allow live auction links in my forum for mostly the educational value and sometimes the entertainment value. Overall its served a more positive purpose than not. We do this, as specialized collectors, to help refine and disseminate the knowledge of what's known about Swedish military firearms and militaria. Sometimes we get carried away with the entertainment aspect. More times than not we get thanked for the effort. I hope you do well on your carbine auction.

Dutch

Razor
05-01-2008, 12:37 AM
OK !!

(Ruffled feathers now smoothed down...)[smilie=s:

Friends ??:grin:

Razor

Dutchman
05-01-2008, 04:25 AM
Friends ??:grin:

Yep. Never intended otherwise :drinks:.