PDA

View Full Version : buffer tube , buffer , and gas system lenght question

GREENCOUNTYPETE
10-29-2015, 01:45 PM
what I am thinking about is a 16 inch barrel with carbine or mid length gas but a A2 buffer tube surely there were lots of these made during the ban days

do I then just use the rifle spring and buffer or what is the thing to use

Gunor
10-29-2015, 02:10 PM
300 Blackout - I would go with a 'pistol' length gas system.

.223 - Either gas system

A2 buffer tube is still rifle length - so rifle length spring and buffer. Don't know for sure - but the 300 BO should run fine with the A2 setup (with pistol length gas).

Does that answer your question?

GREENCOUNTYPETE
10-29-2015, 03:03 PM
yes I think so , so the buffer and spring is to fit the tube , and it's just a matter of making sure you have enough gas coming back to cycle . shortening the gas system gives more gas pressure

as long as I am asking I assume the point of mid length gas with a 16 inch barrel is to let the bullet get a bit further down the barrel before sending gas back to start the BCG moving thus reducing movement of the rifle for greater accuracy

Garyshome
10-29-2015, 03:51 PM
Longer barrel = more FPS

BoolitSchuuter
10-29-2015, 04:48 PM
Longer barrel = more FPS

^^^^ What Gary said ^^^^ I would tell you to go with the midlength gas. Less felt recoil, and somewhat higher velocity in a 16 inch barrel due to the extended time before gas is bled off to operate the system. A2 spring and buffer as well. If by chance it should short stroke on you a lighter buffer might be in order.