PDA

View Full Version : Hornady® Lock-N-Load® Iron Press

terryt
10-28-2015, 08:30 PM
Hi:

Does any one know anything about Hornady® Lock-N-Load® Iron Press.

It is new and on their website.

Thanks,

Terryt

5Shot
10-28-2015, 08:32 PM
Go to there youtube channel and look for the 2016 New Products vid. About 15-16 minutes in they show one.

L Erie Caster
10-29-2015, 12:08 AM
The spring assisted ram looks interesting. I got to see how it works. And at 26lbs its got to be as heavy duty as they come.

TheDoctor
10-29-2015, 07:38 AM
Youtube search hornady 2016. It will pull up a playlist of each individual product, with their own short vid. That way, you don't have to skip through the 20 minute long one!

44Vaquero
10-29-2015, 04:34 PM
Here is the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNEK39tt9MM&index=6&list=PLUB6LWvgMNyWZa0RLgld14at0oZsdLaha

I don't understand the shell holder deck? The overall press is a interesting concept.

$249.00
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/353329/hornady-lock-n-load-iron-single-stage-press?cm_vc=ProductFinding

troyboy
10-29-2015, 05:42 PM
Hmmm. If their dies are any indication of the quality of this new press should be a winner. Lots of innovation from what saw on the video.

Carrier
10-29-2015, 06:11 PM
The priming system looks pretty good on the press.

r1kk1
10-29-2015, 07:01 PM
I will be adding on to my bench. I wonder if the solid 1-⅛" ram is drilled through for primer disposal. At 26 lbs it will come in at 3rd place. The ram diameter would bring it in 3rd also. It will also be 3rd solid ram press I own. Very unique design, still I wonder if someone has done a similar design in the past?

take care

r1kk1

anotherred
10-29-2015, 07:17 PM
I'm really intrigued by this press also. I like the design on how "open" it is. Also the priming system should be nice.

Love Life
10-29-2015, 07:27 PM
I like it!!

VHoward
10-29-2015, 07:48 PM
It's going to end up on my bench.
The only downside I see.
Spent Primer Collection System: No
So spent primers will end up all over the floor.

Carrier
10-29-2015, 08:08 PM
It's going to end up on my bench.
The only downside I see.
Spent Primer Collection System: No
So spent primers will end up all over the floor.

Good catch never saw that.

dragon813gt
10-29-2015, 08:12 PM
I'm not seeing what this will do any better than existing presses. I hate primer tubes so that's a negative for me.

tazman
10-29-2015, 08:40 PM
There is a spent primer collection tray behind the ram. If you watch closely you can see it in the video. You can also see it clearly in the pictures provided on the Midway site.
That said, I have no idea how well it works but it has to be better than dumping them on the floor.

Carrier
10-29-2015, 09:58 PM
There is a spent primer collection tray behind the ram. If you watch closely you can see it in the video. You can also see it clearly in the pictures provided on the Midway site.
That said, I have no idea how well it works but it has to be better than dumping them on the floor.

Ha ha guess I better clean glasses. I couldn't believe that they would just let them fall on the floor.

VHoward
10-30-2015, 12:22 AM
What I posted about there being no spent primer collection was out of Midways technical specifications. I wonder if the spent primers bounce out of the collection tray?

Hornady has another picture on their web site where I saw the collection tray. I thought Midway had to be wrong. It isn't due out until December.

Love Life
10-30-2015, 08:38 AM
I'm not seeing what this will do any better than existing presses. I hate primer tubes so that's a negative for me.

The priming system is pretty neat. Better than picking them up off a flip tray one at a time. It's also pretty neat. My only concern with it would be having to invest in a bazillion LNL bushings, which I'd rather not do.

dragon813gt
10-30-2015, 08:47 AM
I like the Lee Safety Prime. I know it's not automated and has it's quirks. But mine is dialed in and has run flawlessly for thousands of rounds at this point. If I have to deal w/ primer tubes the press is going to be a progressive. This is all just my opinion. I'd imagine this press won't be cheap either.

VHoward
10-30-2015, 09:14 AM
Hornady lists it at $270 press only with manual priming (no tubes to fill). In kit form with other stuff to get you started loading it's listed at over $600/ The kit press comes with the auto priming feature. Hornady lists an auto priming upgrade at $81.

Midway has the press itself listed at $249.99. Don't know the street price for the kit or upgrade.

dudel
10-30-2015, 09:23 AM
I don't understand the shell holder deck?

The way I saw it was to speed up getting the brass into the shell holder. The shelf aligns the brass to the right height so that all you have to do is shove it in to the shell holder. Without the shelf you'd have another dimension of alignment. I think it might be the prelude for a case feeder. Drop the shell on the shelf and have a ram activated pusher to move the brass into the shell holder. Guess guessing though.

The Dillon 550b has a wedge shelf like that, except it moves with the ram. On the Dillon it does help get brass into the shell plate easily. Hornady shelf is independent of the ram.

Maximumbob54
10-30-2015, 09:51 AM
They lost me at once again insisting on using their bushing system. Still no positive lock on it means bushings will keep working loose. This has been the only remaining failure on my LNL AP that I can't figure how to fix.

dudel
10-30-2015, 10:37 AM
They lost me at once again insisting on using their bushing system. Still no positive lock on it means bushings will keep working loose. This has been the only remaining failure on my LNL AP that I can't figure how to fix.

Don't the lock rings keep them from working loose? They lock pretty solidly when I use the lock rings without the bushings. Just like a big jam nut.

I like the Hornady stuff; I just don't see the incremental value over my existing Rockchucker for what I load.

Love Life
10-30-2015, 11:01 AM
$600 for a single stage press kit? Hornady must be smoking crack. That money will get you a RL550B with some spare toolheads and dies.

Maximumbob54
10-30-2015, 12:19 PM
Don't the lock rings keep them from working loose? They lock pretty solidly when I use the lock rings without the bushings. Just like a big jam nut.

I like the Hornady stuff; I just don't see the incremental value over my existing Rockchucker for what I load.

The bushings rely on a rubber o-ring to stay locked. This is one where I think Lee wins. They add a spring loaded button that locks their quarter turn bushing into place.

dudel
10-30-2015, 12:27 PM
The bushings rely on a rubber o-ring to stay locked. This is one where I think Lee wins. They add a spring loaded button that locks their quarter turn bushing into place.

The Lee bushing do, and they stink (IMHO), I toss them immediately from any Lee dies I have. The Hornady lock rings are all metal and have a screw which clamps the ring to the die (vs a screw which impinges on the die).

http://www.amazon.com/Hornady-Sure-Lock-Ring-Pack/dp/B001OPTMU4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1446222316&sr=8-1&keywords=hornady+die+lock+ring

They come standard with Hornady dies. Almost any lock ring other than Lee will lock the die down so it won't work loose. I used the Hornady lock rings for all dies till I got the 550b. At which point I moved to the Dillon lock rings because they are much smaller and fit the toolhead better. They will also work great as a jam nut.

Maximumbob54
10-30-2015, 12:52 PM
The Lee bushing do, and they stink (IMHO), I toss them immediately from any Lee dies I have. The Hornady lock rings are all metal and have a screw which clamps the ring to the die (vs a screw which impinges on the die).

http://www.amazon.com/Hornady-Sure-Lock-Ring-Pack/dp/B001OPTMU4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1446222316&sr=8-1&keywords=hornady+die+lock+ring

They come standard with Hornady dies. Almost any lock ring other than Lee will lock the die down so it won't work loose. I used the Hornady lock rings for all dies till I got the 550b. At which point I moved to the Dillon lock rings because they are much smaller and fit the toolhead better. They will also work great as a jam nut.

You're mistaking what I'm talking about. The lock rings screw into the die body. The die body screws into the press. The press is milled for a bushing. The die body screws into the bushing with the intent of leaving them in the bushing. Now either the Hornady or the Lee bushings are both quarter turn but the Hornady has no positive lock for the bushing.

dragon813gt
10-30-2015, 01:02 PM
$600 for a single stage press kit? Hornady must be smoking crack. That money will get you a RL550B with some spare toolheads and dies.

I saw that and just figured I'd let a fool and his money part.

L Erie Caster
10-30-2015, 01:09 PM
Big difference between lock rings and quick change bushings guys

dudel
10-30-2015, 01:13 PM
You're mistaking what I'm talking about. The lock rings screw into the die body. The die body screws into the press. The press is milled for a bushing. The die body screws into the bushing with the intent of leaving them in the bushing. Now either the Hornady or the Lee bushings are both quarter turn but the Hornady has no positive lock for the bushing.

Gotcha. I though the die was loosening in the bushing not the bushing in the press.

Carrier
10-30-2015, 02:41 PM
My powder measure would loosen after 50 to 100 rounds. Hornady sent me shims and it has not come loose since. I have never had any dies come loose in my LNL even after a 500 round load session. I know 76 Highboy showed in his video about using a thicker o-ring but the shims have stopped the problem so I didn't bother looking for any.

I should add that station 5 seemed not to tighten up as much as the others and Hornady sent a new press head bushing which solved the problem. It seems that it was cut too short.

Rory McCanuck
10-30-2015, 03:09 PM
I will be adding on to my bench. I wonder if the solid 1-⅛" ram is drilled through for primer disposal. At 26 lbs it will come in at 3rd place. The ram diameter would bring it in 3rd also. It will also be 3rd solid ram press I own. Very unique design, still I wonder if someone has done a similar design in the past?

take care

r1kk1
It sure looks like a Bonanza Model 68 on steroids and with compound linkage to me.

I saw that and just figured I'd let a fool and his money part.

When you actually look at what comes in the kit, it's not hard to add up another $350 worth of syuff.

Automatic Priming System
Die caddy
Component feed bin & bracket
Digital Scale
Case prep accessories (chamfer & deburr tool / large & small primer pocket cleaners / neck brushes [22 cal / 25 cal\6mm / 270 cal\7mm / 30 cal / 35 cal / 45 cal]
Powder Measure
Reloading Handbook
Unique™ Case lube
Lock-N-Load® Comparator set of 6
Lock-N-Load® Die Bushings 3 pk
Powder funnel 22-45 cal
Digital caliper
Shell holder kit (#1, #2, #5, # 16, #35)

VHoward
10-30-2015, 04:11 PM
I have only use the Hornady bushings in a single stage and have never had any problems with them.

dkf
10-30-2015, 04:38 PM

You should save the Lee rings and sell them here, some prefer them.(like me)

I have some Hornady lock rings and prefer the Lee by far for in toolheads and turrets, on a single stage the Hornady are preferred. The Hornady rings are too big in my turrets and you can't access the flats and the rings hit each other.

As far the bushings, the Lee design is better than the LNL design IMO.

I like the open design on this new press from Hornady and like that they finally figured out how to make a single stage press out of iron. I don't see myself parting with my Classic Cast for this new Hornady SS though.

r1kk1
10-30-2015, 04:59 PM
Thanks Rory's! It resembles the Bonanza press quite a bit! I spoke with a Tech at Hornady. The automatic priming system sits in the back and a tray for spent primers sits in front of the press. I asked him if that's the final design and he thinks by the time January hits, it may be a drilled through ram. Time will tell. He said more specifications will be released through the next couple of months. I really like the LNL bushings. I use them in RCBS and Redding presses. I did ask him when the LNL turret press will be out. He said there has been a ton of requests for it.

Hornady like Lee makes claims about their press which ignores what is currently available. They both claimed largest rams and forget what exists and still in production. The spent primer tray is like the Challenger and breech lock Classic Cast. I don't care for it. I may lose the spent primer tray in the front and place a waste can. The RCBS Summit has a ridiculous small spent primer cup but I mounted the press to the edge of the bench and a 1 gallon bucket underneath catches every spent primer. Problem solved.

I'm looking forward to getting one in the near future. I thought I was done with four single stage presses I own. It's unique design and features looks like a great addition to my bench. I really didn't think or see it coming when Hornady would make a single that I like. Now if Lyman would bring out a monster Orange Crusher. . .

take care

r1kk1

r1kk1
10-30-2015, 05:38 PM
You should save the Lee rings and sell them here, some prefer them.(like me)

I have some Hornady lock rings and prefer the Lee by far for in toolheads and turrets, on a single stage the Hornady are preferred. The Hornady rings are too big in my turrets and you can't access the flats and the rings hit each other.

As far the bushings, the Lee design is better than the LNL design IMO.

I like the open design on this new press from Hornady and like that they finally figured out how to make a single stage press out of iron. I don't see myself parting with my Classic Cast for this new Hornady SS though.

I will keep it in mind you like the Lee lock rings. I only have one right now since I bought a rifle FCD in 300 Savage. Not being able to use any lock ring in the CC turret soured me on it. I haven't seen that issue with other brands of turret presses. It's the only downfall on the 550 for me. I can use two Hornady rings but I have to use two Dillon rings on the other dies. I don't care for the Lee or Dillon lock rings.

The Lee breech lock rings are proprietary. The system works in only two presses Lee makes. The Hornady LNL works in Lee Classic Cast non breechlock version, any current Redding stage presses, RCBS Rock Chucker and Summit press. The original quick change press doesn't require the system - the COAX.

This is will be at least the third single stage reloading press Hornady has made since the 70s. I'm surprised I haven't seen an cast iron single stage from then either. They may have made one but I think the 007 was aluminum alloy also.

I have four distinctly single stage presses right now. Each caught my attention. The Hornady is very unique to me.

Take care

r1kk1

44Vaquero
10-30-2015, 06:11 PM
r1kk1,

Interesting about the primer catcher being as yet undecided on this press. If you look closely at the video or the still pics the catcher being used/pictured is a 3-D printed unit.

I like the press it has a very real COOL factor and may ad one to the bench just because?

I have to admit I really don't understand the fascination with weight of the presses? Ram size and rigidity ok, but if wanted to with the size and weight game a CORBIN or a Walnut Hill beats just about everything? My bench press does not need to be Swaging strong does it?

jmorris
10-30-2015, 06:59 PM

On my LNL's I just used a thicker o-ring to keep them from self detaching but I understand that they have shims that will also take up the slack.

I do agree that the Lee intermittent threads and locking detent is a better design.

VHoward
10-30-2015, 07:10 PM
r1kk1,

Interesting about the primer catcher being as yet undecided on this press. If you look closely at the video or the still pics the catcher being used/pictured is a 3-D printed unit.

I like the press it has a very real COOL factor and may ad one to the bench just because?

I have to admit I really don't understand the fascination with weight of the presses? Ram size and rigidity ok, but if wanted to with the size and weight game a CORBIN or a Walnut Hill beats just about everything? My bench press does not need to be Swaging strong does it?

The CH4D Rock Crusher weighs in at 103lbs and has a solid 1 5/8" ram. It takes 2 3/4 - 12 dies and is meant for swaging. Also cost almost $1600.
http://www.ch4d.com/products/equipment/presses/RC000

I am seriously wanting one of these Hornady Iron presses though.

r1kk1
10-30-2015, 07:42 PM
r1kk1,

I have to rewatch that video to see that. A Corbin and Walnut Hill are very heavy presses compared to what I own. I like weight. Heavy is hard to bend or break. I do quite a bit of case forming compared to standard cartridges. The Summit could have benefitted from a third mounting bolt behind its 2" solid ram.

As You know I have four single stages each very unique:

CH4D Champion. It is the only currently made cast steel press. The ram is solid, drilled through for spent primers. My workhorse. It is the strongest O frame press I could find currently made still.
Redding Ultramag. On my hunt for a monster C press I found a NIB unit for 100.00. It came home with me. I call it a hybrid C and the Reddings executive level people call it a C press. Hornady LNL bushing conversion found its way into the press. It has a huge opening and slightly taller than the Champion. Funny thing is, it has a 1" hollow ram for spent primers.
RCBS Summit. This is the most versatile single stage made. Period. I either use LNL bushings in it or the Arbor press bushing conversion to use my Wilson dies. I believe the press resembles the Wamadet press. It lacks one feature the Wamadet does and the Summit doesn't - the use of lubrisizer dies.
Forster COAX. The best priming system I've used on a single stage press. It is the original quick change die press. I have a plate conversion for it where I can flip or change plates easily. It is the lightest press I own and has unusual power for what it is.

Soon the Hornady Iron. Different style of frame. Solid 1-1/8" ram. Finally a tool system on a single stage that keeps them close to hand as well as dies. The spring loaded is a plus for me. It is truly different from what I own.

Vaquero I was so pumped when Lee announced the CC and Midway had it for either 39 or 59 bucks back then. My local LGS had one and I literally ran down there. The fit and finish was very rough. The ram felt gritty. We opened the other five boxes and it didn't look good. I left feeling heartbroken. I read the claims and measured things. I did notice that Lee upgraded the Linkage. This was the weak link on the Challenger not the frame. The other weakness of the Challenger was the crappy primer disposal. Mine made it before the 30 day money back warranty. In the 80s, it held the most promise of Lee's presses. So I only have the Lee hand press that I kept.

I don't know what people need on their benches. I know what I want and use. I know what expectations I have when I buy a tool. This will be my 1st Hornady single stage that I want as their previous lineup left something to be desired in my opinion.

take care

r1kk1

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
10-30-2015, 11:51 PM
I had one of the fairly early LnL AP presses. I had it for over a decade. In all that time, I never had a single bushing come loose, not one. I owned a lot of bushings and a lot of dies during that time period and kept spares. Again, no problems, none, period.

I'm reasonably sure (99.99999999%) the problems with the LnL bushing set up coming loose was/is a supplier manufacturing problem and not the design. If you have a LnL bushing that is coming loose, contact Hornady and get them to replace the twist bushing or the fixed bushing in the press. One of them is absolutely defective.

Just my .02,

Dave

dilly
10-31-2015, 10:03 AM

Some people are interested in using their presses for swaging like BT snipers setup allows. However, for those applications I don't know if I would trust the lock and load bushings to hold up.

r1kk1
10-31-2015, 10:31 AM
Some people are interested in using their presses for swaging like BT snipers setup allows. However, for those applications I don't know if I would trust the lock and load bushings to hold up.

I have wondered the same thing about any bushing arrangement. Swaging bullets places more stress on that arrangement than I case forming or even swaging belts on brass for a wildcat. Haven't had to swage belts for quite some time but for case forming, the bushings have held up with no problems.

take care,

r1kk1

anotherred
10-31-2015, 11:11 PM
I can tell you, the Hornady bushings DO NOT hold up to swagging. When making 9mm to 40 bullets, I use the progressive to flare the brass, seat the lead core and put a crimp the bullet. Final swagging into a bullet gets done on the Lee single stage.

Carrier
10-31-2015, 11:46 PM
I can tell you, the Hornady bushings DO NOT hold up to swagging. When making 9mm to 40 bullets, I use the progressive to flare the brass, seat the lead core and put a crimp the bullet. Final swagging into a bullet gets done on the Lee single stage.

What happens to them?

Three44s
11-01-2015, 09:30 AM
With the shape of the frame on this new Hornady single stage, I would very suspicious of it being adequate for any serious swaging.

I have a LnL AP and some of my bushings come loose. I figured a fatter o ring would do the trick so I am not running away from it.

Best regards

Three 44s

jmorris
11-01-2015, 10:20 AM
I used a thicker o-ring on the LNL's I had but I think they also have shims to fix presses that have the problem.

r1kk1
11-01-2015, 10:41 AM
What happens to them?

I'm curious too. I have yet to damage one with some heavy case forming.

take care

r1kk1

anotherred
11-01-2015, 11:02 AM
Its been awhile but it wasn't good. The bushing pooped out with authority and the lock edges where rounded to the point of not being usable. At that point I gave up on the idea. It Might be ok on smaller bullets like 22, but for the price of the lee press, I figured I had that much invested in dies why not get the proper press. This new press looks like it would be up to the task if you converted from LNL bushings to a regular 7/8-14 threaded insert. Again back to my original idea, just get the lee press (or 2) for the price of this one. Either way this press looks to be a great addition to my loading room for things like resizing rifle brass that I prefer to do on a single stage press.

Dragonheart
11-01-2015, 07:13 PM
Impressive video, but at the price there is other choices.

VHoward
11-02-2015, 02:31 PM
The concern I had with the Iron press is the shell holder. It wasn't clear if it was a whole new shell holder with integrated platform or if you could use standard shell holders. I asked Hornady on their facebook page and they confirmed that the press uses standard shell holders.

flashhole
11-02-2015, 06:36 PM
Enthusiasm about this press is higher on this forum than on some of the others. I want to follow the banter.

There is a legitimate concern about the shell holders. Hornady shell holders have a larger hole in the center than "RCBS-type standard shell holders". It needs to be verified that the Hornady priming system will work with any conventional modern shell holder, not just Hornady's. In the words of Ronald Reagan when dealing with the Soviets .... trust but verify.

As for me - Not a fan of the bushing system, a solution for a non-existent problem. Not a fan of all the thingies sticking up on the top platform. I get it you don't have to outfit the press with them but it's not a selling point for me. The bottom metal casting where the handle screws in looks to be a bit diminutive for bullet swaging. Odd angle for leverage too. Cast steel over cast iron would have been a better approach given the intended use (isn't the Lee Classic Cast press cast steel, re-purposed railroad rails?) Primer disposal, not that big a deal to drill the ram when other competitors have the feature. Price point is out of line with competing capability. It does look like an interesting design but I won't be inventing a way to justify one.

r1kk1
11-03-2015, 12:49 PM
No Lee is Cast iron - a whole 14 pounds of it. There is only one cast steel press with a solid ram drilled through for primer disposal - CH4D Champion. Redding and one Lee single stage use hollow rams.

Hornady and Lee makes some funny advertising claims. Neither do their homework.

Still this Hornady will make it to my bench. I wonder if Lyman is listening.

Take care

r1kk1

dannyd
11-03-2015, 05:37 PM
Can't wait to get one

deltaenterprizes
07-21-2016, 04:07 PM
I ordered one yesterday and plan to do the same thing I did with my LNL, I made bushings to convert it to 7/8"-14 and do not use the LNL bushings. I did leave the position for the powder measure so I can quickly remove and replace it to dump unused powder.

deltaenterprizes
07-26-2016, 02:03 PM
Press came in yesterday. I screwed up and thought the AUTOMATIC prime was the manual prime!
The press is not offered with automatic priming, it has to be ordered separately for $80 regular price, Midway has them on sale for $71.99 with $8 shipping so $80 to your door.

The press is nicely finished but the ram has ridges and has a strange feeling moving it up and down. A quick visit to the lathe and polishing with green Scotchbrite made it bearable but it could use a little more work.
Lucky for me I made an extra bushing for the LNL progressive so all I had to do was remove the LNL bushing and install the 7/8"-14 bushing and I was done.
When the automatic priming system arrives I will mount it where my Rockchucker press is, I sure will miss the Case Kicker on the RCBS! I may be able to come up with something similar down the road.

deltaenterprizes
08-01-2016, 11:43 PM
I installed the 7/8"-14 bushing and mounted the press on my bench.
Started installing the automatic primer feed and had a few hickups.
The primer cup was catching on the shell holder caused by part of the bar that the primer cup attaches to need a few thousandths removed. This was causing primers to turn side ways. Same part was catching in the place it contacts with the ram, a little contouring with a small file solved the problem.
I broke the slide bar corners with a fine file and used a fine stone along the bottom where it contacts the housing, lightly oiled the slide and everything works smoothly!
The cap for the blast shield for the primer tube is flush with the primer tube, I like a little edge so I put a small rubber band around the bottom of the cap and it elevated the cap to make a small ledge!
The holes that are supposed to line up with the RCBS Rock Chucker do not, I had to drill new holes, I used the holes in the back of the press.

deltaenterprizes
08-01-2016, 11:47 PM

One 7/8"-14 bushing will solve that problem, that is what I did?

deltaenterprizes
08-25-2016, 04:22 PM
The press is working well for sizing and priming brass to run through my Dillon RL1050!

r1kk1
08-25-2016, 04:38 PM
My Iron kit came today and waiting for stuff from Dan such as quick change plate, etc., etc.

soon it will be up and running,

''take care

r1kk1