PDA

View Full Version : S&W 15-2 2" snubbie .38 special.

JudgeBAC
04-09-2008, 05:47 PM
I have always had a hankering for one of these for some unexplained reason. I ran across an excellent example with the box that appears to be in the 98% range with after market grips. My hesitation is the price, $475.00 which seems pretty steep to me. What do you think?

dubber123
04-09-2008, 06:08 PM
475$ is plenty, but they don't make them anymore either. If it's in the condition you describe, they would likely get it on an auction site. I've seen plenty of 4"ers, but never a 2" for sale in a shop. I have always wanted one too.

JayinAZ
04-09-2008, 07:40 PM
The question you need to ask is, what will it be worth in 5 years?

shooting on a shoestring
04-09-2008, 09:22 PM
The other question is, will you wish you had bought it when you had the chance? A year from now it won't matter if you paid what $100 more than you thought you should. But if you let it go by you may kick yourself for years and always wish you had just bought it.

Scrounger
04-09-2008, 10:09 PM
The other side of that coin is can you live with a gun that you know you way overpaid for? I can't. I have to get rid of things, even at a loss, if I think I made a bad deal. To me, that price isn't even in the ballpark. You can get a two and a half inch Model Sixty-six (same size but .357 mag) for $400 or a bit less. I might pay $350 for a six inch K-38 or maybe $300 for a four inch Combat Masterpiece, but I wouldn't pay $300 for that one. But that's just me, maybe your values are different. Think of it as marrying a woman with problems; you really think they're going to get better?

9.3X62AL
04-10-2008, 01:16 AM
$475 is a mite steep for a K-frame 38 Special, but there never were a lot of these Model 15s made with 2" barrels. A Model 10 x 2" (fixed sight/K-frame) went along with me for several years, and its sale was a large error. I could smack jackrabbits with it well past 35 yards easily--it shot VERY well, and right to the sights with 158 grain standard velocity boolits.

Other options to consider--also out of print--Model 13 or 65 x 3", fixed sight 357 Magnum K-frame. If I were to carry another snubby revo, that would be my choice.

Dale53
04-10-2008, 10:58 AM
I recently bought a pretty decent (perfect mechanically but some finish wear) ex-Leo 4" model 15 at our local club for under $300. I am NOT a collector but don't believe that I'd pay significantly more for a 2".

The Model 15 is a GREAT platform that has been overshadowed by everyone's seeming need for "Magnum". Using proper bullets, the .38 Special will get the job done and it is a really good platform for general shooting.

However, since I am a licensed civilian, I want a lighter, more compact carry gun. My choice happens to be a 642 S&W (.38 Special Airweight 2" snubbie with Crimson Trace Laser grips). It is "way fun" to shoot indoor handgun silhouette's with the C/T grips for sights. This is also VERY good practice with your choice of snubbie.

Dale53

Geraldo
04-10-2008, 10:59 AM
Other options to consider--also out of print--Model 13 or 65 x 3", fixed sight 357 Magnum K-frame. If I were to carry another snubby revo, that would be my choice

I'm still kicking myself for not buying a 3" M66 when I saw a pair of them in a shop years ago. The 3" guns have full length ejector rods, which I always thought was a bit of an advantage.

As for the price, it seems like a lot, but it's only money (easier to say when it's only your money). ;-)

fourarmed
04-10-2008, 11:57 AM
As my very understanding wife says, "It's only money, and you know how to make more."

Denver
04-10-2008, 01:38 PM
There's one on Guns America now @ $550 so I'd say the askin price of the one you're lookin at is at least reasonable. They are nice.

:Fire:

9.3X62AL
04-11-2008, 10:04 AM
[QUOTE=Geraldo;321650]The 3" guns have full length ejector rods, which I always thought was a bit of an advantage. QUOTE]

Good point, Geraldo. My 2" M-10 required a pretty good stroke on the ejector rod to clear cases out. Back several centuries ago while attending a FBI course I got the chance to fire one of that agency's issue Model 13 x 3", with both 38 Special and 357 Magnum duty loads. NICE.

I can't hit JACK with any J-frame S&W--Kit Gun, 32 Hand Ejector, Chief's Special--they all go poetic under my guidance. I wish it were otherwise, but 30+ years of trying to make those bitty rollers work has borne this out to my satisfaction. Annoyance. Disappointment. Or something.

Sprue
04-23-2008, 09:25 PM
I have a pristine one in layaway now. M15-3 2". Very purdy gun. It comes with original box, manual and tools w/very light turn marks. It was available for quite sometime b4 I actually chose to take it. Got it for 400 total. It'll be my first actual 38 cal but thats all I mostly shoot in the 357's anyway.

I don't know but pistols in my area go for a lot more than whats being suggested. You can't find anything used around here for less that 4 bills.

Course I shop at the pawn shops, I'm not a trader for that matter. As for trading or selling any of my toys, I could never bring myself to to do that. I'ld have night mares!

If you want it get it, or you'll never forget about the one that got away.

Good Luck!

TCLouis
04-23-2008, 10:30 PM
accuracy problem with the J frames, Charter Arms or Colts.
It only takes a relative simple inexpensive grip modification to make reasonable (NOT great) shooter out of them. Remove the factory grip panels and screw them back together . . . This is the one important step in the modification procedure, sling them as far as your arm can throw something that light.
Now go buy some decent grips and shoot away!

Geraldo
04-24-2008, 05:43 PM
I know how to solve his problem with J-frames as well. Take J-frames to gun show, swap or sell them for something you can shoot. That's what I did and I've never looked back.

9.3X62AL
04-24-2008, 06:49 PM
TC and Geraldo--

True that! It isn't the coil mainspring on on the bitty Smiths that cause the problem, because I had one of the REAL OLD 1903 models in 32 S&W Long with the EXQUISITE leaf spring lockwork--and same story, couldn't hit worth beans. Pachmayrs helped some, but Pachmayrs on a K-frame are better yet. I can't seem to get my hands (or my mind) around J-frame S&Ws for some reason.

The Colt Police Positive series shoots very well for me. A Colt Detective Special--esp. one of the late series with shrouded ejector rods (+P capable) could find its way into my gun safe comfortably. The K-frame compacts aren't enough smaller than the 4" 686 to justify the cash outlay for a "one-venue" revolver in 38/357 Magnum, but the little Colt surely is. For now, the Makarov gets most of my summertime portable felon repellant business.

Buckshot
04-25-2008, 02:33 AM
................JudgeBAC, I may or may not be helpfull :-). Have you looked for one of these someplace else? Do you want to spend the time looking, and how long will you decide is long enough to look? Will you have to have it shipped (+$), pay a transaction fee through an FFL to recieve and process? (More +$)

There will ALWAYS be people saying "That's too much. I saw one last week for $XXX". Well they are in say Kansas and maybe you're in Maine :-) Or some other such scenario.

Do you like it? Apparently yes.
Do you want it? Also apprently yes.
Is it more then you'd realisticly like to pay? Again, apprently so.
Is what you'll overpay going to be a hardship, or the idea of it is the sticky part? For you to say.
Will you enjoy it less because you paid more then others said it 'SHOULD' be? For you to say.
If you do buy it, next year will it matter you may have overpaid? If me I'd say no it wouldn't.

I bought a really nice S&W M14-4 five or 6 years ago for $350. I was told I'd over paid a bit. I really didn't care because I wanted it and I had it. We're not talking ridiculus amounts here, lets put it in perspective. What does a brand new one cost? Forget what everyone says a used one 'SHOULD' be.

I bought a used S&W M67 for $350. I didn't even bother to ask anyone if it was a good deal. I had a nebulous idea of what NEW would cost. It was in great shape so the idea of saving $25, $50, or even $100 never crossed my mind, if I'd even had the time to run around looking or asking.

Besides it will ALWAYS have value, unlike the paper with dead presidents I traded for it :-)

................Buckshot

9.3X62AL
04-25-2008, 10:49 AM
VERY well said, Rick.

JIMinPHX
04-25-2008, 04:53 PM
People around here have been asking big money for the Smiths lately. At the last gun show I saw a 629 for $725, a 649 for $550 & lots of other unreasonable offers. K-frames in good condition are getting harder to come by. The latest batch with the “hybrid” barrel didn’t impress me much. If you found one that you like, you should probably scoop it up while you can. You can always get rid of it later.

As for me, I’m getting cheap in my old age. I’ve been eyeing up the surplus military guns in the $200 & less category. I’m not looking for the prettiest thing in the world. I’m just looking for something that I can make shoot well. But that’s just me.