PDA

View Full Version : Marvelux

JonB_in_Glencoe
10-28-2015, 10:48 AM
I think I've heard once or twice of someone that uses and like Marvelux, but I can't count high enough to the 'number' the people who have used it and dislike it.

Dave Campbell has written a fine, short, simple, cost analysis article and posted it on his website about casting boolits. I was disturbed to see a well positioned container of marvelux in the leading photo ...to each his own.

http://davecampbelloutdoors.com/pouring-bullets/

Mike W1
10-28-2015, 11:10 AM
I tried it years ago without success. Since then I've found out I likely was using too much of it for starters and not waiting long enough before I spooned it off. Bill Ferguson on CB-L maintained the best way to apply it was with a salt shaker with a light touch as you could always add more. I'd be tempted to try it again but have had good luck with NEI's flux. Did however order some beeswax the other day just to see if I liked it any better. We'll see.

45-70 Chevroner
10-28-2015, 12:44 PM
I have a 16 oz container of Marvelux that I've been working out of for the past 30 years. It only takes a couple of pinches for it to flux a 10# pot. I have about 3 oz of it left.I have also tried a number of other things to flux with during those years. I've tried saw dust, boolit lube, crayons, beeswax, candle wax, hard sealing wax, wheel bearing grease, they all work to some degree or other and some better than others. I always come back to that container of Marvelux. Boolit lube is I think the second best, and I have used it quite a bit.

Walter Laich
10-28-2015, 12:49 PM
I'm in the 'tried it and didn't like it' group.

Glad some folks are able to use it successfully...

me, I'll just stick to my sawdust and other 'stuff.'

Boolit_Head
10-28-2015, 12:53 PM
I used it exclusively when I started many years ago with great success. Only reason I am not using it now is it's easier to get paraffin.

williamwaco
10-28-2015, 01:00 PM
I think I've heard once or twice of someone that uses and like Marvelux, but I can't count high enough to the 'number' the people who have used it and dislike it.

Dave Campbell has written a fine, short, simple, cost analysis article and posted it on his website about casting boolits. I was disturbed to see a well positioned container of marvelux in the leading photo ...to each his own.

http://davecampbelloutdoors.com/pouring-bullets/

Add one to that count. It is destructive and dangerous . I would not allow it anywhere near a casting pot.

fredj338
10-28-2015, 03:31 PM
It seems to rust the pot. I only use it during the pre ingot phase, just to get rid of it. I prefer sawdust.

45-70 Chevroner
10-28-2015, 05:07 PM
Add one to that count. It is destructive and dangerous . I would not allow it anywhere near a casting pot.
What is destructive and dangerous about it? A plain and simple question and not to be pointed or mean.

Scharfschuetze
10-28-2015, 05:55 PM
What is destructive and dangerous about it? A plain and simple question and not to be pointed or mean.

Yes, I asked myself that question too.

I've used it from time to time for 40 some years and I don't recall any such warning before.

unique
10-28-2015, 06:10 PM
I used it for couple casting sessions and will never use it again. Crapped up my RCBS furnace.

williamwaco
10-28-2015, 07:46 PM

Chevroner
Asking questions like that is the primary purpose of this board. Never apologize for an honest question.

Destructive:

It is very hygroscopic. It absorbs moisture out of the air and forms a crusty film on the surface of everything it touches. It will cause severe rusting of your pot, your molds, and any other iron objects it comes in contact with.

Dangerous: This crusty film contains WATER. It will form on your stirring and skimming spoon and when it cools will absorb water from the air. Then when you put your spoon back into the pot to stir or skin, you get a nasty surprise.

Don't ask me how I know.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Well!

I am having second thoughts.

It has been many years since I used it and the description on the Brownellls website seems to dispute my claims.

Quote:
Non-Smoking Non-Fuming Odorless Flux

Far and away the most popular - and successful - bullet casting flux, MARVELUX has been on the market since 1971 filling the needs of knowledgeable and successful professional and hobbyist bullet casters. MARVELUX is non-corrosive to iron and steel, and does not produce fumes which can cause corrosion, as does sal-ammoniac (ammonium chloride). In fact, regular use will keep your pot free from rust! Reduces dross formation dramatically while increasing fluidity of bullet alloys, making it easier to obtain well filled-out bullets.

Some of you old timers chime in here. What flux am I remembering having the trouble with?

farmerjim
10-28-2015, 07:53 PM
The MSDS for it says it is borax. Has anybody here used 20 mule team borax? I know blacksmiths that use it to weld iron and steel parts together.

Gtek
10-28-2015, 09:00 PM
Many moons ago but remember the black glass/ceramic like ring on handles of stainless spoons and around my big iron pot. Once was enough for me no matter if was done correctly or not.

Blanket
10-28-2015, 09:06 PM
will never use this **** again. I started casting in the early 1960's

cheese1566
10-28-2015, 10:49 PM
Is marvelux the same as the product MidwayUSA sells for casting flux?
I bought a can when first started and notice it rusted my Lee but no issues with the ProMelt. I use it as I have nothing else and forget to gather sawdust.

45-70 Chevroner
10-29-2015, 10:40 AM
I used it for couple casting sessions and will never use it again. Crapped up my RCBS furnace.
Then you were using to much. Like I said it only takes a couple of pinches to work.

45-70 Chevroner
10-29-2015, 10:55 AM
Chevroner
Asking questions like that is the primary purpose of this board. Never apologize for an honest question.

Destructive:

It is very hygroscopic. It absorbs moisture out of the air and forms a crusty film on the surface of everything it touches. It will cause severe rusting of your pot, your molds, and any other iron objects it comes in contact with.

Dangerous: This crusty film contains WATER. It will form on your stirring and skimming spoon and when it cools will absorb water from the air. Then when you put your spoon back into the pot to stir or skin, you get a nasty surprise.

Don't ask me how I know.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Well!

I am having second thoughts.

It has been many years since I used it and the description on the Brownellls website seems to dispute my claims.

Quote:
Non-Smoking Non-Fuming Odorless Flux

Far and away the most popular - and successful - bullet casting flux, MARVELUX has been on the market since 1971 filling the needs of knowledgeable and successful professional and hobbyist bullet casters. MARVELUX is non-corrosive to iron and steel, and does not produce fumes which can cause corrosion, as does sal-ammoniac (ammonium chloride). In fact, regular use will keep your pot free from rust! Reduces dross formation dramatically while increasing fluidity of bullet alloys, making it easier to obtain well filled-out bullets.

Some of you old timers chime in here. What flux am I remembering having the trouble with?
I have used Marvelux for a long time and this has never happened. As a mater of fact it was the first flux I ever used. I know that a lot of guys on here cast at a lower temperture than I do and that is where your problem lies with the moisture.
I do all my casting at or above 800 degrees.

dudel
10-29-2015, 11:53 AM
Tried it when I first started out and didn't care for it. Still have most of a jar left (if it hasn't turned into a rock).

rr2241tx
10-29-2015, 12:02 PM
Maybe one of you that uses Marvelux successfully could post a youtube video showing how to use it? All I've ever managed to do with it is make a mess and rust my tools. There's a large can of the stuff in my casting area that I'd like to use up if it actually works as well as the ad copy claims.

williamwaco
10-29-2015, 01:19 PM
Then you were using to much. Like I said it only takes a couple of pinches to work.
The instructions said "pea sized or 1/8 teaspoon" I used the measuring spoon.

gwpercle
10-29-2015, 03:02 PM
I might be the one that still uses it . My Lyman #3 book and C.E. Harris said to use it.
Use 1/2 teaspoon for a Lee Magnum Melter. Too much and you get the "mess".
After the 1/2 tea. Marvelux flux, I add 2 tea. of cedar wood pencil shavings and a few drops of melted bees wax. Stir well with a wooden stick. Skim off debris.

I find two or three small fluxings work a lot better than dumping in a whole bunch at one time.
Noting in my reloading/tool room rusts....if you are using so much the fumes are rusting things....thats a bit too much. Cut back , use the smallest amount you can. Sometimes I will use 1/4 teaspoon first and if needed add another. How much you use depends on how clean or dirty the metal is.

I can't even post a photo....a u-tube video isn't going to happen. I used to post photos but we got a new computer and I can't do squat.
Gary

Mytmousemalibu
10-29-2015, 04:32 PM
Is marvelux the same as the product MidwayUSA sells for casting flux?
I bought a can when first started and notice it rusted my Lee but no issues with the ProMelt. I use it as I have nothing else and forget to gather sawdust.

If im not mistaken the RCBS's pot is stainless steel, hence extreme corrosion resistance. Lee pots are definitely not stainless.

cuzinbruce
10-29-2015, 04:56 PM
I have used Marvelux for some years. It has worked fine for me. You don't need a lot of it. Half teaspoon or so to an RCBS pot. Sprinkle it on top and let it melt on top for a while, then stir. Wait a bit for everything to surface, then skim it off. It is hygroscopic and picks up water from the atmosphere. At least in NJ it does. Letting it melt for a while, any moisture burns off. I haven't had any tinsel fairies but I would not stir it in immediately. I don't know if it is borax or not. Have to check on that. Nothing objectionable about it. The salt shaker idea might work pretty well. Have to try that one. My RCBS is stainless too so I never noticed any rusting. I don't remember from when I used a Lee. That's my experience FWIW. Most of these things work OK, sawdust, bullet lube, beeswax. One casting book I have even used lye, sodium hydroxide, to clean smelted lead, but I haven't tried that one either!

Shuz
10-30-2015, 10:36 AM
I've used Marvelux for more years than I can remember and I love it. Just remember the old Brylcreme slogan--"A little dab will do ya"
I once again offer my casting room as an "approved" depository for those who wish to get rid of their Marvelux.

leadman
10-30-2015, 11:26 AM
I have used at least 3 of the big container in the past 3 or 4 years. It does form a crust if not removed from the top of the melt. I have had it rust a couple of things when the humidity was high. One does need to use caution when using your stirring utensil for the first time during the casting session. I lay it on top of the melt and the moisture burns off. It does add fluidity to the alloy when used properly.
I do also use beeswax after using the Marvelux as this helps prevent the ring in the pot.
Using scrap lead I have had some alloys that did not want to fill out well or did not want to come clean with other fluxes like boolit lube, beeswax, and sawdust. When this occurs I grab the Marvelux and most of the time it helps make it a better casting alloy.

I have found no difference between the Midway product and Marvelux.

prs
10-30-2015, 01:07 PM
I purchased some way back when. Tried it and got the mess in my pots and on my tools. I started calling it Marvelcrud. Of things that I have done that let my bottom pour pots drip, Marvelcrud and stirring with a wooden spoon rank about equal. Like somebody else said above, I then used it only in rendering dirty scrap and never in my casting pots again. All used-up now and not repurchasing since beeswax and saw dust work excellently.

prs

unique
10-30-2015, 07:14 PM
Then you were using to much. Like I said it only takes a couple of pinches to work.I bet you are right but that really is the point. If I flux with too much beeswax then it just burst into flames and after a quick stir everything is nice and shiny.

Le Loup Solitaire
10-30-2015, 10:14 PM
Have used it off and on without any problems. You don't need much of it; just a good size pinch. It never rusted anything of mine, not the pots nor the ladles. Don't push it beneath the surface of your melt. It has worked ok for me and a can has lasted many years. LLS

Old Scribe
11-02-2015, 02:36 AM
I started using Marvelux years ago when I began casting for my muzzleloaders. Still use it for most all of my casting. It doesn't take very much in a pot, just a pinch. I think I bought it back in the early 90's and have used maybe 20% of it.