PDA

View Full Version : Shaving

ol skool
10-27-2015, 11:54 PM
I don't care much for shaving but everytime I look in the mirror I see a little bit of my Pop. Coming up on a year since he passed so I decided to go as he taught me all over again.

Not happy paying even Wal-Mart prices for fancy blades anymore. I find myself running them high tech blades way to long cause they're so costly.

So ordered a Merkur simple Double Edge razor, got a bunch of Wilkinson DE blades CHEAP and ordered a new boar brush from Portugal. Been whipping up lather in a mug since Dad taught me to cut my first whisker over 40 years ago. Yea, there was blood involved. The brush is pushing 15 years so could use a new one...

Any one else doing double edge and brush any more?

Any tough straight razor users out here too?

MT Gianni
10-27-2015, 11:58 PM
Electric rechargeable for me for the last 20 years. Employer demands I am clean shaven for hazmat duties. It is just too fast and easy to go electric.

wcp4570
10-28-2015, 12:19 AM
I've been using a Merkur for about 6 years. Like you I got tired of the price of expensive blades. I have a drug store near me that carry Wilkerson double edge for a whopping price of $1.04 for a 5 pack. I'm perfectly happy with my old school shave. At the price of these blades it wouldn't break the bank to Chang every week but I don't find it necessary. I can easily go 2 or 3 weeks before needing to change. I may have to try the brush and soap for lather, I currently use a tube of cream from WalMart.

wcp

ol skool
10-28-2015, 12:37 AM
I've been using a Merkur for about 6 years. Like you I got tired of the price of expensive blades. I have a drug store near me that carry Wilkerson double edge for a whopping price of $1.04 for a 10 pack. I'm perfectly happy with my old school shave. At the price of these blades it wouldn't break the bank to Chang every week but I don't find it necessary. I can easily go 2 or 3 weeks before needing to change. I may have to try the brush and soap for lather, I currently use a tube of cream from WalMart.

wcp

That's what I'm after right there wcp4570!!

I was curious about creams so watched a youtube vid on whipping up yogurt like lather in a mug with cream. Dang that looked kinda fun! Might have to try that...

Always used a boar brush instead of badger. I know, badger sounds a lot better than boar, eh! Found an outfit that seems to get a thumbs up on their boar: Semogue. Most are around $20, if it lasts another 15 or so years, that'll be good. Ordered a 610 model FWIW off ebay.

swamp
10-28-2015, 12:37 AM
Back when I was shaving(pre 1973), I used a straight razor. What I started with. I still have it and one of my brothers.
swamp

ol skool
10-28-2015, 12:50 AM
Back when I was shaving(pre 1973), I used a straight razor. What I started with. I still have it and one of my brothers.
swamp

swamp:

If I had to shave with a straight razor I'd proabably given up in 1973 too!

Learning on a "safety" razor as a kid with the usual assorted zits, well I sure didn't need no leeches for blood letting...

reloader28
10-28-2015, 12:50 AM
I'm lazy and only shave every couple months. I just buzz my whiskers every week with the clippers when I buzz my head.

When I do shave I use a brush and soap cup and a double edge shaver. I bought enough blades to more than last the rest of my life.

swamp
10-28-2015, 01:00 AM
1973 I got out of the army. The first time I had to use a "safety razor"(had to use in basic) cut the snot out of myself.

ol skool
10-28-2015, 01:19 AM
1973 I got out of the army. The first time I had to use a "safety razor"(had to use in basic) cut the snot out of myself.

swamp:

LMAO!

Mk42gunner
10-28-2015, 01:38 AM
I think everybody cut the snot out of themselves in boot camp, no matter what they learned to shave with.

Robert

Rustyleee
10-28-2015, 01:57 AM
The combo I use is a Merkur and a badger brush from Dr.Conk. There is a forum called badgerandblade.com that deals with shaving. I don't use fancy shaving soap. When the Dial bath soap gets too small in the shower I put it in my shaving mug. On the shaving forums they say to use witch hazel on your face after shaving but none of that stuff works for me. I wack the whiskers then use a plain alcohol based after shave, usually Old Spice sometimes Clubman's Pinaud.
I like the KISS principle in all my dealings... Keep It Simple Stupid.

Greg S
10-28-2015, 02:23 AM
Been using a Merkur 1904 open comb DE with Atra blades to shine up the chrome dome for almost two years now. Got a bad 4pk of M3s that skinned me. Went through three blades in the shower before I pulled out my dull straight and gave up.

Ended up sharpening up the straight and started using it again on my face. I can get 2 days outta a straight shave as with a M3 it was a daily chore. Used a straight from 85 to 95 when I got out of the service and it was a long learning curve on your own perticularly with sharpening and maintaing the edge. Now with all the forums, the tips and techniques are easy to find and can make anyone into a straight shaver in a few weeks. The big thing with a straight as all razors is it has to be hanging hair sharp. If its dull, it'll pull, you'll add move pressure, a more aggressive blade angle which will reult in razor burn. I'm using a basic Dovo for now but looking at a new U.S. manufacturer, Portland Razor for a french point.

Brushes, I'm pretty fond of Omega. Got a 599 silvertip badger for travel. Its a small brush but packs alot of performance and minimal outley for a really nice badge that can fit into a small pill bottle for travel and a 10098 boar for a daily driver cheap and a monster. For soaps I like the Tabac as a cake soak and just picked up another three crops, of those the Vulvalux Italian Lime and Cella are excellent.

MtGun44
10-28-2015, 02:23 AM
Used to use a brush and mug, it works very well, but just took a bit more time than I was
interested in committing to the process. Still have the stuff, use it every once in a while, just
for old time's sake.

I suggest Edge shaving gel, AFTER my morning shower, and the cheapest two blade throwaway razors
you can find, like $3 for a dozen Schick razors. I get at least two months shaving from each one,
so only spend $3 every other year. I get great shaves with Edge AFTER a shower, and have for
many decades, after a friend pointed out that the shower before shaving would make the beard
far softer and easier to shave than without the shower. Can't remember the last time I cut myself,
either.

Greg S
10-28-2015, 02:48 AM
Shaving after a shower is the only way to go. My beard is too tough and just destroys a blade if I don't. Astra DE blades are $18.00/100 and I change them out on sunday night. The best thing about a DE/straight is they don't plug up like a 2,3 or 5 blade cartridge. I can't believe that you can get that many comfortable shave from one of those BIC type razors. I could barely get through one.

You think Edge is good, try a $10 boar brush and some Cella or Vulvilux Lime cream. Lifes too short.

rondog
10-28-2015, 02:56 AM
I can verify that Swamp is a whiskery feller!

ol skool
10-28-2015, 02:58 AM
.... can't believe that you can get that many comfortable shave from one of those BIC type razors. I could barely get through one.

You think Edge is good, try a $10 boar brush and some Cella or Vulvilux Lime cream. Lifes too short.

Had the same issue with disposables, hamburger face... Trouble with the mutiblade, turbo, lube strip **** is all the whiskers that clog it up and dull it in a shave or two. On purpose I suspect...

Thx for the soap suggestions. Figured out how to make Williams work fine for 99 cents a puck, but would like to try some good hard soap for fun.

Greg S
10-28-2015, 03:23 AM
Yea, that Williams will were you out, Lol. I tried one Mitchells Wool Fat with simular results but folks swear by it. Might be the hard water here. Tabac is easier to lather for a hard and the others are a soft soap and easy to load/lather.

Those multi blade cartridges, its a conspiracy I tell ya. And we just line right up and buy them.

w5pv
10-28-2015, 05:52 AM
I don't remember the guys name but while in the service,this guy had to shave in the morning and again at noon to keep certain AH's from chewing on him for not shaving.Little to the extreme but that is the way he had to do it.

jcwit
10-28-2015, 07:42 AM
I use a double edge razor I purchased off E Bay, it's a Lord brand imported from Egypt, blades I order also from E Bay, they come from Russia.

garym1a2
10-28-2015, 08:13 AM
I like the disposable triples they are really smooth and last a long time.

Goatwhiskers
10-28-2015, 08:24 AM
All this reminds me of a depression era trick my dad told me about. The old Gillete double edge blades could be resharpened several times by laying the blade inside a straight sided water glass, depress with your finger, and rub it sideways back and forth several times. The glass would re-hone the edges, worked quite well! GW

Sweetpea
10-28-2015, 08:43 AM
Yep, I shave old school as well.

I just can't stand to shave every day, and the multi blade jobs just clog...

Plus, I hang around here, so you know I'm a cheapo...

Wayne Smith
10-28-2015, 09:00 AM
I turn wooden handles and insert a badger brush - turn a razor handle and screw on a head (your choice of type) and turn the upright of the holder for the set - $80! Just the high quality brush is $25. I'm at work now, I'll have to come back to this to get the shaving creme I use - it is the best I've found and have been using it for years.

bedbugbilly
10-28-2015, 09:01 AM
I have only shaved my complete face once since 1975. Prior to that, I used an electric as that's what my Dad used. WhenI went away to school in 1970, I started using a safety razor along with a mug and brush - still have 'em and use 'em but I only shave my neck and upper cheeks. I shaved my beard off once - about 1987 or so . . . walked out of the bathroom and my wife told me to grow the beard back! LOL

I now opt for the disposable safety razors but they last quite a while since I only shave my neck/upper cheek. I have my grandfather's straight razor and strop. I tried that a few times but gave up on it. When I was a kid, we had a neighbor who only used a straight razor and I can remember watching hi shave a couple of times with awe . . . nary a scratch or cut. You have to respect a fellow who can do that . . . .

EMC45
10-28-2015, 09:05 AM
Electrics eat my face up. Multi blade "wonder" razors eat my face up. Gillette Safety razors eat my face up. I have been shaving with a straight razor since 08. Have about 5-6 that I rotate out. Now I am away from all my honing gear so I have been stropping one razor in particular and shaving on Monday and Thursday mornings only. I use the Van Der Hagen soap pucks. They are cheap, but work well and I like the shave I get.

blackthorn
10-28-2015, 10:15 AM
I use the cheap, throw away razors and shaving cream in an aerosol can. I learned on a straight razor but I have essential tremor now and I would be scared to try the old straight razor now. I have several old DE razors I have accumulated over the years. I have 3 or 4 different hone/stones designed to keep DE blades sharp. In my experience they work with hit or miss efficiency. I find they are good for touching up the edge on fine carving and/or leather working tools, I just use the back side of the stone that is flat.

5Shot
10-28-2015, 10:30 AM
I've been using my dad's old Gillette "Slim" for about 20 years. Electrics always pulled my beard. I did try a straight, but it wasn't for me.

Love Life
10-28-2015, 10:40 AM
I use a safety razor and Barbasol. Aftershave is plain 90% iso. I taught myself to use the safety razor over a long weekend.

docone31
10-28-2015, 10:42 AM
I only use straight razors. Have for many years now. I also collect straight razors. I have some from the civil war era.
Best way to shave once you get past the learning curve. there is blood, but one day you will shave blood free.
Sharpening is the hard part.

Ithaca Gunner
10-28-2015, 10:42 AM
Since misplacing dad's old brass Gillette some years ago I tried several types including disposables and a straight razor, never could get used to a blasted electric and ended up getting a nice solid heavy safety razor from "The Italian Barber" on line and over 120 blades for around $25.00. Not as good as dad's old Gillette, but it feels like a real razor, good and weighty. I thought I was pretty good with a straight razor, until I took a chunk of ear off one day, (small chunk, but bled like a hog at butchering time). Anyway, I dropped it one day and chipped the blade, no further use as a razor. I also have been using mug soap and a brush for some 40 plus years now.

country gent
10-28-2015, 10:46 AM
I still shave with a brush and soap whip to a thick lather and a straight razor. I like the shave I get. Trick to using a straight razor is learning to hone and strop it to the needed edge, if not sharp it just dosnt work as well. And earning to make stright pulls no slidning side to side thats and instant cut lol. The smoothest best shaves have always been with a straight razor and soap. I also use plain bar soap ussually ivory or dial in my cup with the brush. A little water and whip up a nice thick lather. Another plus when the wife was still here was She wouldnt use my razor to shave her legs. That really takes the edge off the disposables. A few passes on the strop before shaving and the straight razor is ready to go. My razor is probably 60-70 years old now. I bought it at an auction.

dragon813gt
10-28-2015, 10:50 AM
When I was shaving I used a Norelco electric, which shot this shaving goop out, followed up by a Mach 3. I literally jammed the electric into my face because it won't hurt you. And the Mach 3 was to get it all the way down. By far the fastest way I found to shave.

I stopped shaving because I did the math and I work out in the elements. Say it takes you 5 minutes a day to shave times 7 days times 52 weeks equals 30 hours spent shaving per year. Multiply that by years spent shaving. That's a lot of wasted time shaving. I'd rather do other things. I have a habit of doing the same thing w/ other time wasters like how many weeks I've spent commuting to and from work :mad:

AggieEE
10-28-2015, 11:03 AM
Has anybody tried the shave secret oil that Hanady(sp) hawks? It works as claimed, not as messy as soap, meaning you can see where you're cutting. A little 18.75 ml bottle is about 3 or 4 bucks and you get about 100 shaves out of a bottle.

jcwit
10-28-2015, 11:26 AM
When I was shaving I used a Norelco electric, which shot this shaving goop out, followed up by a Mach 3. I literally jammed the electric into my face because it won't hurt you. And the Mach 3 was to get it all the way down. By far the fastest way I found to shave.

I stopped shaving because I did the math and I work out in the elements. Say it takes you 5 minutes a day to shave times 7 days times 52 weeks equals 30 hours spent shaving per year. Multiply that by years spent shaving. That's a lot of wasted time shaving. I'd rather do other things. I have a habit of doing the same thing w/ other time wasters like how many weeks I've spent commuting to and from work :mad:

Ever factor in how much time you spend standing at a check-out?:bigsmyl2:

jcwit
10-28-2015, 11:33 AM
Has anybody tried the shave secret oil that Hanady(sp) hawks? It works as claimed, not as messy as soap, meaning you can see where you're cutting. A little 18.75 ml bottle is about 3 or 4 bucks and you get about 100 shaves out of a bottle.

Never tried it, what I use is Arko from these folks, http://bestshave.net/

One $2.00 stick last approx. 6 to 8 months.

Here's a link to the blades

~http://www.ebay.com/itm/100pcs-VOSKHOD-RAZOR-BLADES-FREE-GIFT-extra-gift/262016491578?_trksid=p2045573.c100034.m2102&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%2 6asc%3D33864%26meid%3D58646bf7cb45439ca18296541320 044f%26pid%3D100034%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D8%26sd%3D2317 34280620

shooterg
10-28-2015, 11:41 AM
Any of y'all seen the old safety blade sharpeners ? Ours was shaped like an old pencil sharpener. "Course, our hair was cut with the old manual shears too. My Gramps was frugal !

LaPoint
10-28-2015, 11:42 AM
I haven't mustered the courage to try a DE or straight razor yet. I switched from aerosol shave cream to CREMO shave cream. It give a much smoother shave and one tube lasts me about 6 months of daily shaving. Forced to be clean shaven due to grooming policy at work. Last day of work is my last day of shaving!!

jcwit
10-28-2015, 11:59 AM
I haven't mustered the courage to try a DE or straight razor yet. I switched from aerosol shave cream to CREMO shave cream. It give a much smoother shave and one tube lasts me about 6 months of daily shaving. Forced to be clean shaven due to grooming policy at work. Last day of work is my last day of shaving!!

Not aimed directly at you, well maybe a little, one of the problems I have with todays people in the US. Looking sloppy, myself, I shave, comb my hair, and somewhat dress up. About the only unshaven folks we have here are the Amish or bum's, but this is just me.

We lost something over the years, I remember the day when Class "A's" were the uniform dress when leaving base, that's gone also.

Funny thing is folks will wash and polish their car, then go to town in PJ's and a torn "T" shirt and flip flops.

Rant over.

dolang1
10-28-2015, 12:20 PM
A coworker gave me a blade assortment to try. I settled on Shark blades. I bought 100 for $12.00 on Amazon. I tried several DE razors from China until I finally ended up with a Perfecto shaving kit.
I use Irish Spring or any smell good bath soap. Cut to fit my shaving cup, then microwave until it gets foamy. Press it down into the cup with a spoon. I've been using this method for years.

dragon813gt
10-28-2015, 12:54 PM
Ever factor in how much time you spend standing at a check-out?:bigsmyl2:

To many variables involved. I don't shop on any type of schedule. And the wait time is always different. I did figure out how much time I spend brushing my teeth and showering. Doesn't seem like much on a daily basis. But on a decade basis it's a lot of time. The real big one is sleep. That's one third of your life where you do absolutely nothing :laugh:

LaPoint
10-28-2015, 01:13 PM
JCwit, no offense taken. I have been wearing a uniform and adhereing to a grooming policy for over 26 years. I have a few more to go before I start growing my beard. I won't be growing a Duck Dynasty style beard though, it will be trimmed. I agree with your comment about a large number of our young people (younger than me, which isn't very young) that intentionally dress sloppy. Most of it is an intentional fashion statement and the majority of today's youth are smarter than we were at their age. They just too often are forced/trained to concentrate on learning useless "stuff."

kfarm
10-28-2015, 01:37 PM
Deleted

jcwit
10-28-2015, 02:05 PM
Looks are always important, it's how you are perceived by others, you may not think so, but in fact it is.

historicfirearms
10-28-2015, 02:08 PM
I have been using my grandfathers old safety razor for a couple years and I love it. Blades are cheap, last just as long as those sooper quadruple blades, and shave even better. They don't clog up with stubble like those multi blade razors. I shave while in the shower and it works great. A little touch up is all that's needed when I get out of the shower. Guys, really, quit giving Gillette all your money. Go old school here, it is better than the new stuff.

Lance Boyle
10-28-2015, 02:24 PM
I am a DE shaver. I've probably been using them only about 5 years or so.

I too have to shave for work by policy. I don't mind shaving but I also will skip it on my days off if I'm hanging around the house.

My first DE razor was a Merkur HD. A pretty good razor, just throw the Merkur blades away and save yourself the anguish. They're free with a razor but not free from the blood and pain. My second one as a retro one like my dad's old razor, I picked up a vintage slim adjustable, I like the long handled razors and like a bit of heft to them. That was ok but not as aggressive as I would have liked. I picked up an Ikon brand razor made by a guy in Taiwain, all machined stainless steel, it's got heft for sure. Since then I've pretty much only used that razor only trying different blades; Gillette hospital lab blades, Feathers, Gillette yellow wrappers from Europe.

I do have one straight. A German razor. I dropped it while cleaning it post shave and took a chip out of the tip. It sat in the drawer for a year before I took a dremmel and reground the tip, dipping it in water to keep it cool during the process. Resharpened it and it is about as good as new. I still don't use it too often simply because it takes 3 times as long for me to shave with it. Unless it's a leisurely Sunday I go with the DE.

I have used a bunch of soaps and creams. I did give up on the generic canned stuff, I used Edge since I was a teenager. I have used Van Der Hagen and Williams and they work fine for me. I have also tried some of the "good ones" Mitchell's wool fat, Cella, and a bunch of other hoi polloi brands. Only a few didn't work. Some of the fancy ones with fancy scents smelled like fake chemicals to me so I generally avoid them. Just give me a soap that will lather up.\

ETA- my big push to change was the price of refills. I was using a nice Gillette Atra but they pretty much eliminated the blades and you had to go aftermarket for blade refills and they didn't cut as well many times. I was going to be damned before I switched to a new Gillette with refills costing $4-5 a cartridge. Screw that!

gwpercle
10-28-2015, 04:48 PM
My father passed a little over a year ago, two Gillette safety razors were one of the few things not sold at estate sale. I brought them home. Last week I got tired of trying to find blades for Persona Slim Twin . Buy a razor and in a few months they stop making them and the blades...I got 4 different handles and can't get blades for any of them any longer. Anyway's I thought about dad's old razors and sure enough there was a package of blades with them....slipped in a new blade and problem solved.
Cool thing is it has an adjustable setting for how much blade sticks out, that way you can you can choose how close you want to take it. AND you can still get them double edged blades....I can't believe they still make those, but they do !
The adjustable one is called the Gillette Fat Boy. Short and heavy. The other is a non adjustable , twist opening model with a longer handle and light weight. I have shaved with both , like them and may have to start collecting them....if you got two , you got a collection started right !
Gary

Mytmousemalibu
10-28-2015, 05:18 PM
Just like many of you guys, i gave up on the absurdly expensive multi bladed dog piles years ago. I keep bare skinned and i shave my head. I have a small collection of vintage old DE razors, some are very old. My daily driver is a 51' Gillette Travel Tech. I like the small maneuverable razor. I regularly use full size Tech an a adjustable. If i feel like making a babys butt look like a gravel road, I have a Merkur Futur, a very nice DE but it can slice atoms in half and your skin is no barrier if you get careless with it. My choice brush is a real Silvertip badger. Very soft! My go to blade is Rapira, the russkies can make a great blade, i highly recommend them. They are Feather sharp but way smoother. I also like Gillette 7 o'clock blacks, Silver Blues, Personna Lab Blues and a few others. My favorite soap is Tabac but also use a lot of Arko, Spieck and Proraso. Others I like are LaToja, Instituit Karite, Cella and Palmolive. For store soap Cremo is decent and the only think in a can that would cross my mind is Barbasol. I also like Floid shave oil for my preshave and a Razo Rock alum bar after. Bee Bald makes some nice bald guy stuff that I like for after the shave.

NavyVet1959
10-28-2015, 05:40 PM
I *hate* shaving. Always have, always will.

I had to start shaving in high school and often got in trouble for "not standing close enough to the blade". :)

First razor was the old double edge type. I remember when Gillette mailed out free samples of the Trac-II razor and blades and thinking how nice it was to be able to not cut myself like I would do with the old double edge type blade. I never like the fact that the companies kept coming up with new designs just so they could make you have to buy new handles for the new style blades.

I hate shaving so much that when I was deciding on which branch of the military to join, I chose the Navy since I knew that after boot camp, I could go back to having a beard. So, other than my time in the Navy, I've had a beard and mustache for the last 38+ years. I don't live in a cold climate, so I don't like a thick beard though. I just "mow" my head periodically with my hair trimmer. When I was in the Navy, I used to keep the hair mowed to a 1/2" bulk, but these days, it's probably more like 1/4". On the neck, I just remove the trimmer guide and use the edge of the teeth to cut close to the skin.

bikerbeans
10-28-2015, 05:50 PM
Electric only for me to maintain my beard because I am on a mega dose of blood thinners. I bleed so easy I can cut myself with my electric beard trimmer.

BB

jcwit
10-28-2015, 05:54 PM
The adjustable one is called the Gillette Fat Boy. Short and heavy. The other is a non adjustable , twist opening model with a longer handle and light weight.
Gary

Take good care of that Fat Boy, if you happen to still have the box and papers it came with and it is in excellent shape, it's value is in the hundreds.

Even just by itself and in good condition many collectors will pay up to $50/$60 bucks.

7Acres
10-28-2015, 06:43 PM
My bro in law introduced me to DE shaving a few years ago. I was skeptical. He was kind of a fanatic about it. He loaded me up with a pack of Derby Extra blades and one of his double edge razors he ended up upgrading from.

When I tried it for the first time I thought I'd slice a nice 1/64" veneer off my face.

I was blown away how smooth and close of a shave it gave me. I decided a double edge safety razor was just the thing for me. I run KAI blades in my Feather razor. Best shave ever! I enjoy shaving now.

reddog81
10-28-2015, 06:49 PM
I've been using a safety razor for the last 2 years. I'm only 34, so I grew up using the disposable ones. My girlfriend bought a couple of electric razors as gifts over the years, but I would only use them a couple of times because they pulled and yanked on the hairs. One year she decided to try and give my a safety razor setup and I've been using that ever since. I bought a "new" handle at an antique store after the original broke.
This post reminded me to go buy blades on Amazon. $9.00 in Derby blades will last me about 2 years shaving twice a week and using each blade 2 times.
I cut myself less with the double edged safety razor compared to the Gillette Sensor2's that cost $1.00 each.

Mytmousemalibu
10-28-2015, 06:54 PM
First time with a DE can feel scary but it also depends on what razor you have and how aggressive it is and the blade used. What works for one guy, another will hate. I'm sure many have been turned away from their 1st experience. Just like guns and the loads it likes, you have to find what works for you. The razor is your gun, the blade is the bullet and the shave soap is the lube, literally! Perhaps that's is why DE shaving was a natural choice for me!

William Yanda
10-28-2015, 07:29 PM
Probably my first week in the Army, 1971, processing in, not even assigned to a training company yet. Sgt calls us out of the barracks in the morning. A big, tanned, older guy who we called California came out with stubble. Sgt calls for a razor, took the blade and wiped it on the sole of his boot a couple of times, gave it to California and told him to shave with it. Lesson learned!

flint45
10-28-2015, 07:33 PM
Real men dont shave they grow beards! just funnin witchcha.Two years no shaving.

docone31
10-28-2015, 07:40 PM
Aside from using a straight razor, I also use the Rolls Razor. That works well also. Got me started years ago with straight razors.

flyer1
10-28-2015, 07:40 PM
I use a twin blade disposable from dollar shave club. Works for me at 3 bucks month.

edler7
10-28-2015, 08:26 PM
Cleaning out my parents house a few years ago, I found the old Gillette DE I learned to shave with in the late 60's, along with another one I never knew was around. Turns out the one I learned on was a fat boy and worth a lot more than it cost originally.

Finding these made me real happy, as the evolution of razors from manufacturers in the last 15 years or so has produced something that seems to me like trying to shave with a canoe paddle, except they cost more.

I use my grandfather's shaving brush and mug, can't recall the soap at the moment.

beemer
10-28-2015, 08:47 PM
I have a full beard but I trim with a DE, have about 30 in my collection so I change out. Most are Gillette but I have a few other styles including a few straight razors, hones and other shaving accessories. A few things belonged my Grandfathers, guess that's what got me started.Dave

NavyVet1959
10-28-2015, 08:57 PM
Considering the fact that my father said that when he screwed up, his father would use a razor strop on his ass, I'm pretty glad that he used a safety razor and only had those 2" wide 1960s belts to impress upon me the error of my ways.

https://p47koji.files.wordpress.com/2014/12/c-10-57.jpg

TXGunNut
10-28-2015, 09:10 PM
Up until a few months ago I'd been wearing a neatly trimmed full beard. When I shaved it was the first time I'd seen my ugly mug in almost eight years. I had to comply with a strict grooming policy for 25 years, hated shaving then. Still do. I use the cheapest doubles and Colgate or Barbasol aerosol. I think I may still have a mug & brush around here, just don't feel it's worth the trouble.

CollinLeon
10-28-2015, 09:19 PM
I just use a weedwhacker on it once a month -- whether it needs it or not. In other words, about as often as I check my mail.

MT Gianni
10-28-2015, 11:05 PM

I shave in 30 seconds while sitting on the toilet. Still laughing about this post.

Rustyleee
10-29-2015, 12:48 AM
One thing I learned about when shaving with a DE razor is don't think of it as shaving, think of it as beard removal. Remove a little each time. I shave 2-3 times before I call it good on a work day. If I'm going out somewhere special it's 3-4 times. I don't try to cut too deep, so to speak. I just want it smooth.
My wife is a nurse and on occasion when they need to shave someone at work that has been on heavy blood thinners instead of shaving cream they use Vaseline Intensive Care Lotion. I have tried it as home but it really clogs up the razor.

xman777
10-29-2015, 06:52 AM
If you're really cheap, you can fill a mason jar up with isopropyl alcohol and drop your razor in that an put a lid on it. I have razors that have lasted 8-9 months before becoming dull. Its the rust that kills your blades.
Further to that, try getting a badger hair brush and some fancy pre-shave oil followed by shave cream and you can get the closest shave ever with a good old one blade safety razor.

Wayne Smith
10-29-2015, 07:55 AM
I turn wooden handles and insert a badger brush - turn a razor handle and screw on a head (your choice of type) and turn the upright of the holder for the set - $80! Just the high quality brush is $25. I'm at work now, I'll have to come back to this to get the shaving creme I use - it is the best I've found and have been using it for years.

What I am using for shave creme is from The Body Shop and it is their Maca Root Shave Cream. I throw the top away and let it harden, a can lasts more than a year.

Kent Fowler
10-29-2015, 12:07 PM
I use a twin blade disposable from dollar shave club. Works for me at 3 bucks month.

Same here, except I only shave once or twice a week and took the every other month delivery option.

gwpercle
10-29-2015, 01:42 PM
Take good care of that Fat Boy, if you happen to still have the box and papers it came with and it is in excellent shape, it's value is in the hundreds.

Even just by itself and in good condition many collectors will pay up to $50/$60 bucks.

No box , no papers, Dad used it everyday and didn't think about it ever becoming a "collectible ".
I went on line and was amazed at the prices.... $50.00 to $500.00 depending on condition and box/papers. WOW ! I had no idea.
I cleaned it up real good, put a drop of oil down in the adjustment mechanism, and will give it a little respect when I use it.
Thanks for the heads up,
Gary

Bulldogger
10-29-2015, 04:19 PM
I tried using a straight razor but obviously didn't get it honed well. It was crazy sharp, but I couldn't get a good pass with it. For years I used Edge, but never liked it much and needed after shave for razor burn. I hated shaving, and electrics tore my face up even worse.

Then my mother sent me the Caswell Massey Greenbrier shave bowl and soap, and that stuff is wonderful! I bought a nice brush from Macy's display for The Art of Shaving, and I use a cheap store-brand two bladed disposable razor to shave, as long as it has a lubricating strip. With the Caswell Massey soap I have no razor burn and never need after shave. I use the same razor for two to three months. I am careful to clean out the blade after every use under running water and I blow it dry.

I think the simple truth of it is I don't have a dense or hard beard, so I can get away with shaving habits that would send most men crying out of the bathroom. I would like to learn a straight razor someday, because it just looks cool. My father occasionally used one, but watching him convinced me not to try for years! (He wasn't very good...)

Bulldogger

Wayne Smith
10-29-2015, 04:56 PM
The straight razor was designed for someone else to shave me! I have no desire to reverse it's intended use.

NavyVet1959
10-29-2015, 05:43 PM
The straight razor was designed for someone else to shave me! I have no desire to reverse it's intended use.

I don't even trust my own self with a sharp object at my jugular vein. Why should I trust someone else???

Harter66
10-29-2015, 06:17 PM
I run a cheap double or triple blade in the shower . My beard is pretty soft to the touch but hard on razors . Cut pass ,rinse ,cut pass, rinse, cut pass, rinse ...... about 25 x to get around my face then cut against grain to clean it up same thing cut rinse. I completely gave up on shaving about 3 yr ago and just run a trimmer to keep it neat , although that may change soon there's just so much "snow" in the yard ,it makes the blone,black and red look bad.

Yellow Fang
10-29-2015, 06:47 PM
I have a full beard, so only need to shave the neck. I use Harry's, and would pay their price even if i had to shave my whole body.

smokeywolf
10-29-2015, 08:42 PM
My whiskers are like barbed wire. I used to scrap a cartridge in 4 or 5 shaves (and I shave in the shower). Even though I'm retired and only shave about 3 times a week I can't stand the idea of paying $50.00+ for maybe 6 or 7 months worth of "Fusion" cartridges.

About 2 months ago I remembered that I had Grandpa's straight razor put away someplace. Found it in one of the drawers of my rolltop desk and with a bit of study determined it was made in 1840 (give or take 3 years).
A little nervous about using an 1840 ivory scaled (handled) family heirloom, I bought a mid-priced Dovo, did my research, bought the needed stones and strops and despite shaky hands have started straight razor shaving. Had to laugh when I looked in the mirror and saw my shaky hands dragging an insanely sharp blade down my neck. It looked like a scene from a horror movie.
Also bought two double edged razors; a new Parker and a very well kept used Gillette "Fat Boy". The "Fat Boy" came with an assortment of about 100 blades.

After only 4 or 5 shaves using the straight razor followed by the Gillette adjustable, I've found that I now enjoy something I used to detest; shaving. Also, as jcwit pointed out, old razors, particularly some of the old Gillette adjustable and Aristocrat models climb in value; even those that have been reworked and re-plated.

I have 2 teenage sons in the house who just started shaving in past few months and when all the cartridges have been used up by them they will start using double edge razors. My wife is already using the double edge razors and likes them. She says on top of the shave being more customizable (with the adjustable) she likes the idea of going through 15 cents worth of blades per week as opposed to $1.50 in cartridges.
I won't be buying any more cartridges.

I also feel better about spending money on durable goods that my sons will inherit, rather than expendable goods that go into the trash.

I did end up putting a fresh edge on Great, Great Granddad's straight razor and have used it 3 or 4 times. It's a strange and good feeling using my ancestor's 175 year old straight razor.

MtGun44
10-30-2015, 12:34 AM
Worked on the process for many years, works FAR better than all the other ways I
have tried.

Hot shower, dry body and hair but leave face wet. Get out the Edge and wet face
again with hot water, then slather with Edge. Brush teeth for two full minutes to
let the beard soak up more moisture from the gel and the water before the gel.

THEN shave with cheap Bic or Schick double edge throw away razor. Clean out
by knocking it hard on the sink, rinsing and knock out hard again. Lots of beard
pieces come out from between the blades. Leave razor out to dry. I get months
of use out of a cheap two blade razor.

if I short cut the process, shave is less pleasant, blades last dramatically
shorter time. The key is to give the beard a LOT of time to get really wet
and stay wet, it will dry out rapidly without the Edge gel foam. Getting off
track, like feeding the cats (2-3 minutes) after shower and before latheing
wrecks the whole thing.

I have used a good bristle brush, have several and like them, just too slow
for me, trying to get through this as quickly as possible, while doing it right.

If I just walk in, wash face and lather up, then shave, I get a rough shave
and razors last maybe 3-4 uses before shot. The long soaking process
detailed above is necessary and works for me.

ol skool
10-30-2015, 12:35 AM
Got the Merkur today. Made up a nice thick lather from a piece of Williams on top of a VDH Glycerin puck. Back on a DE for the first time in about about 35 years. Did a nice job no nicks, scrapes, bullet holes, broken bones or blood! Gotta work on the angle on the neck though, not as smooth as the face, practice. Face feels better, tight and clean, not all sloppy from them silly 'lube strips'.

If I can get a week out of a DE blade at 20 cents a pop that'll be a far cry from the cartridges, and a bit more fun too. The brush from Portugal is already in the USA. Looking forward to breaking it in too. Now to try some soaps suggested here. This is kinda neat...

snuffy
10-30-2015, 12:59 AM
I haven't shaved for about 30 years. I worked in a factory, no requirement to be clean shaven. That was great because no matter what kind of razor I used, I got ingrown hairs. That flat out hurts when the whole face is ablaze in red welts until the hair finds it's way out the pore, then the infection can clear.

I trim my beard with a Whal clipper on the lowest setting that leaves a stubble on my neck and cheek to style the beard similar to a Charlie Daniels look.

smokeywolf
10-30-2015, 01:09 AM
Both my Semogue brand brushes came from Portugal. Both are lower cost for silvertip badger. They probably don't work as well as a $200 or $300 Simpson, but for $60 to $70 they work well enough. Bought two drug store brushes first. Palmed both of them off on my sons.

Mrs. smokeywolf has commented on how much better my skin looks since I stopped using her hair conditioner for shave cream and scraping my face with the multi-blade cartridges.

I have a shower-head that slows to a trickle with a quick twist of a collar so I don't bother getting out of the shower to shave.

ProfGAB101
10-30-2015, 04:29 AM
I was an Electric user, but I kept wearing the blades or motor and blades out. After replacing 3 shavers in less than a year I started trying other options.

Now I shower and do the full body wash then shampoo the top - I let that stay all lathered up for a few minutes and grab a straight razor and do the face and neck by feel using what ever extra lather from up top. Finally rinse out the hair and face. Later when finished combing my hair I will touch up any strays I missed with an electric. The electrics still wear out, but now I can wait almost 2 years before having to replace one.

Plus - When using that straight edge in the shower, when getting out and drying off your face just feels cleaner than "just washing".

jcwit
10-30-2015, 08:00 AM
I was an Electric user, but I kept wearing the blades or motor and blades out. After replacing 3 shavers in less than a year I started trying other options.

Now I shower and do the full body wash then shampoo the top - I let that stay all lathered up for a few minutes and grab a straight razor and do the face and neck by feel using what ever extra lather from up top. Finally rinse out the hair and face. Later when finished combing my hair I will touch up any strays I missed with an electric. The electrics still wear out, but now I can wait almost 2 years before having to replace one.

Plus - When using that straight edge in the shower, when getting out and drying off your face just feels cleaner than "just washing".

Read this and chuckled a little. I have a collection of razors & mugs, & Brushes. Approx 20 to 25 brushes, all the way from a $5.00 department store brush to a couple of hundred custom brush. My everyday brush?? It's a wood handled brush, cost .$1.50 5/6 years ago, horse hair. See this link, lots & lots of inexpensive shaving stuff.

~http://www.bestshave.net/wooden-handled-shaving-brushes-no6-p-67.html

Opp's wrong post to reply, ment for Smokeywolf.

bob208
10-30-2015, 08:39 AM
I used a injector razor for years till I could not find blades any longer. then I tried using those throwaways. so one day at a antique shop I found a Gillette double edge. have been using it ever since.

the last 5 years I worked. it was at a food plant so had to shave and wear a hair net every day. now that I am retired I shave once a week.

smokeywolf
10-30-2015, 09:59 AM
Read this and chuckled a little. I have a collection of razors & mugs, & Brushes. Approx 20 to 25 brushes, all the way from a $5.00 department store brush to a couple of hundred custom brush. My everyday brush?? It's a wood handled brush, cost .$1.50 5/6 years ago, horse hair. See this link, lots & lots of inexpensive shaving stuff.

~http://www.bestshave.net/wooden-handled-shaving-brushes-no6-p-67.html

Opp's wrong post to reply, ment for Smokeywolf.

Yep, horse hair is one of the top picks for shaving brushes. I'll be adding at least a couple of more brushes, mugs, straights and DE razors as each son has to get one when I move on the happy hunting grounds. I in fact have another good straight (Thiers Issard) and Gillette Slim on their way and could show up today.

jcwit
10-30-2015, 11:25 AM
I lucked out at a flea market in Southern Mich. a few years ago. Dealer had a razor or two on the table which I bought and asked him if he might have anymore. He reached in the back of his van and came up with a zip lock bag with 6 razors in it, didn't think much about it but asked how much, he said $10.00. Oh Ya, $10 bucks, 2 Nice Fat Boys & one Slim, other 3 were regular 3 pc. Gillette.

Mytmousemalibu
10-30-2015, 05:01 PM
When using a DE, don't take long swiping passes. Take short strokes and lift off the skin. For anyone new to DE shaving or wanting to try, get yourself a good ole Gillette Tech. They aren't aggressive at all, put out a great shave, and are easy to find and low cost most the time. Both my little ball-end Travel Tech and full size Tech I got for about $10. Both made in the early 1950's. Just like the one pictured.

Mytmousemalibu
10-30-2015, 05:04 PM
I used a injector razor for years till I could not find blades any longer. then I tried using those throwaways. so one day at a antique shop I found a Gillette double edge. have been using it ever since. I

the last 5 years I worked. it was at a food plant so had to shave and wear a hair net every day. now that I am retired I shave once a week.

You can still get Schick Injector blades brand new if you wanted to go back to an Injector. Those are a great blade and still have quite the following.

smokeywolf
10-30-2015, 08:11 PM
I lucked out at a flea market in Southern Mich. a few years ago. Dealer had a razor or two on the table which I bought and asked him if he might have anymore. He reached in the back of his van and came up with a zip lock bag with 6 razors in it, didn't think much about it but asked how much, he said $10.00. Oh Ya, $10 bucks, 2 Nice Fat Boys & one Slim, other 3 were regular 3 pc. Gillette.

I sure do miss the swap meets. We used to have two pretty close. By closing down the drive-in theaters they closed down the swap meets.

DoubleAdobe
10-31-2015, 10:29 AM
Yea, that Williams will were you out, Lol. I tried one Mitchells Wool Fat with simular results but folks swear by it. Might be the hard water here. Tabac is easier to lather for a hard and the others are a soft soap and easy to load/lather.

Those multi blade cartridges, its a conspiracy I tell ya. And we just line right up and buy them.
I have real hard water here, finally settled on Tabac hard soap a couple years ago, it does a good job with this water.
I have an old Trac ll razor that my wife gave me before we were married, I buy dollar store blades cheap and get a couple shaves out of one.
I also occasionally use an old Schick Kroma double edge razor with Astra platinum blades with excellent results. I no longer have to shave every day for the job, so can get kinda wooly by the time I shave. Like they said above, shower first, it makes all the difference in soaking those whiskers up.

DoubleAdobe
10-31-2015, 10:34 AM
I just use a weedwhacker on it once a month -- whether it needs it or not. In other words, about as often as I check my mail.
Ha, I had a guy tell me he used a propane torch, bourbon and painkillers.

shdwlkr
10-31-2015, 11:32 AM
I quit shaving when I left the military to many dry shaves and skin infections. I went for a long time not shaving in the military because of skin infect, was so much fun watching the lifers try and make life hard for me until I showed my buck slip from the base medical officer then they just walked. Wow 38 years since I have seen my face, too old now to change so I guess I will always have hair on my face and bald head funny how that works

NavyVet1959
10-31-2015, 01:27 PM
Wow 38 years since I have seen my face, too old now to change so I guess I will always have hair on my face and bald head funny how that works

Yeah, it's like the hair just gets too lazy in our old age to fight gravity and instead of growing out of the top of our head, it grows out of the bottom. :)

Elkins45
10-31-2015, 02:03 PM
I hate shaving so much that when I was deciding on which branch of the military to join, I chose the Navy since I knew that after boot camp, I could go back to having a beard. So, other than my time in the Navy, I've had a beard and mustache for the last 38+ years. I don't live in a cold climate, so I don't like a thick beard though. I just "mow" my head periodically with my hair trimmer. When I was in the Navy, I used to keep the hair mowed to a 1/2" bulk, but these days, it's probably more like 1/4". On the neck, I just remove the trimmer guide and use the edge of the teeth to cut close to the skin.

If I had known that back in the day I would have chosen the Navy.

I haven't shaved my whole face since my Grandmother died in 1992. She hated beards so I would always shave when I came to visit for Christmas. I trim up around the neck on Monday morning but other than that all my facial grooming is done with the same kind of trimmer I use on the dog.

If my employer told me I had to be clean shaven I would retire or change jobs. jcwit says people look down on people with beards, but I don't think they think all that highly of old bald men with horrible rashes, gashes and open wounds on their faces either. I guess there's no winning for me :(

I use a brush and Gillette shaving soap when I trim. One of those soap disks lasts me a couple of years.

dragon813gt
10-31-2015, 03:32 PM
If my employer told me I had to be clean shaven I would retire or change jobs. jcwit says people look down on people with beards, but I don't think they think all that highly of old bald men with horrible rashes, gashes and open wounds on their faces either. I guess there's no winning for me :(

Who looks down on someone w/ a beard? Maybe older people that haven't realized the old stereotypes are dead. It's about 50/50 in the construction trade. In the winter the ratio goes higher as a lot of people grow a beard for the winter. It really does help keep your face warmer when working out in the elements.

I'm w/ you and would never work for a company that told me I have to shave. UPS is one company that has this type of policy. I could not care less if a UPS driver had a beard or not. And most people under 50 probably feel the same way. A beard is extremely benign when compared to tattoos and body piercings. I can understand policies about them more. Even then if it's not a safety thing I don't like them.

jcwit
10-31-2015, 05:11 PM
Well in their opinion, which they are entitled to, UPS likely wishes their drivers to look professional.

Frankly I like a clean shaven, smartly dressed man, just as I like a smartly dressed woman.

But that just me, YMMV.

Lead Fred
10-31-2015, 05:27 PM
I buy and sell safety razors.

I just had a young lady (33) tell me her parts have never been smoother that with her 1966 Lady Gillette Starburst Sapphire.

The military still issues them threw the medical supply system. For those with skin problems.

I use a special edition 2014 Edwin Jagger DE86. But I do have several B3 Gillettes hanging around.

On brushes, started off with a $8 Walmart brush. Then I got a $55 Edwin Jagger Badger.
The only difference I found was my pocket book was lighter with the costly one.

dragon813gt
10-31-2015, 05:53 PM
Well in their opinion, which they are entitled to, UPS likely wishes their drivers to look professional.

I agree that they have the right to present a certain appearance. But a beard is not unprofessional. It is in the mind of whoever is in charge. But most of the public doesn't think the same way.

I find it funny that professional appearance was mentioned. In my industry we aren't allowed to wear shorts so we look professional. Yet UPS allows them. Just shows that professional appearance varies depending on who you're talking to.

Love Life
10-31-2015, 06:23 PM
Bearded men are more feared than shaved men. That's science.

Elkins45
10-31-2015, 06:28 PM
Bearded men are more feared than shaved men. That's science.

Bearded women are feared even more.

jcwit
10-31-2015, 06:31 PM
But a beard is not unprofessional. It is in the mind of whoever is in charge. But most of the public doesn't think the same way.

What do you base that on?

dragon813gt
10-31-2015, 07:20 PM
Not even worth my time. It's a generational thing. The view will die off when the older people die off.

Love Life
10-31-2015, 07:48 PM
The they'll mysteriously vote democrat.

Lever-man
10-31-2015, 08:08 PM
I have a couple of Gillette DE razors one came from a 2nd hand shop, and the other was bought last year. Gillette put out a Christmas special of their old DE razor, it was solid brass and chromed, so I had to take one home. I make soap, cold process lye, and that is what I use to shave with, just rub the bar over my face, lather it up with my hands and shave. I haven't found anything that will give me a closer shave than that combination.

jcwit
10-31-2015, 08:29 PM
The they'll mysteriously vote democrat.

What's a democrat? Are they the ones with beards?

I always thought they were Amish!

jcwit
10-31-2015, 08:31 PM
I have a couple of Gillette DE razors one came from a 2nd hand shop, and the other was bought last year. Gillette put out a Christmas special of their old DE razor, it was solid brass and chromed, so I had to take one home. I make soap, cold process lye, and that is what I use to shave with, just rub the bar over my face, lather it up with my hands and shave. I haven't found anything that will give me a closer shave than that combination.

Dang, I missed that special by Gillette.

str8shot426
10-31-2015, 08:39 PM

Amish- beards and bible

Democrat- beards and tambourine

Lol!

tommag
10-31-2015, 09:44 PM
I used to use shaving cream, til I ran out. I found that rubbing a bar of soap on my whiskers worked just fine.

alamogunr
10-31-2015, 09:50 PM
Been shaving with DE razors for about 15 years now. I have 2 Merkurs and 2 Gillette adjustables. Not real happy with the Merkur razors. I don't abuse my razors yet both chipped on the edge. Not sure what to buy next.

I use both cup soap and Proraso shave cream. I prefer the Proraso by a small margin.

Elkins45
11-01-2015, 12:14 AM
What do you base that on?

Five US Presidents had their official portraits done wearing a beard. Another five wore mustaches in theirs. I think it's safe to say being President of the United States is a position of some merit.

jcwit
11-01-2015, 01:03 AM
Five US Presidents had their official portraits done wearing a beard. Another five wore mustaches in theirs. I think it's safe to say being President of the United States is a position of some merit.

That sir I'd debate able to say the lest.

jcwit
11-01-2015, 01:05 AM
And Hitler had a mustache!

NavyVet1959
11-01-2015, 01:45 AM

The Dimocrats are the ones with the splotchy beards. They don't have enough testosterone to grow a full beard.

Greg S
11-01-2015, 04:12 AM
My beard of choice is a gotee when I'm not working since I shave the solar panel. I keep it neat, trimmed and combed in town. I don't keep it when I'm working because it's too hard to get a good seal on my respirator. If I trim it to get a good seal then it makes me look like a gay outdoorsman underwear model or... a Democrat. Don't get me wrong, I can grow a good full beard during no shave November I just don't like the look with a shaved head and folks who don't know me when I approach look at me like I'm a crazed methhead, felon or skinhead. Maybe I should cut back on the expresso alittle bit.

I see alot of DE shavers and not that many strait users. Where's Wilco when yu need a good Poll, Lol.

Mytmousemalibu
11-01-2015, 04:32 AM
Been shaving with DE razors for about 15 years now. I have 2 Merkurs and 2 Gillette adjustables. Not real happy with the Merkur razors. I don't abuse my razors yet both chipped on the edge. Not sure what to buy next.

I use both cup soap and Proraso shave cream. I prefer the Proraso by a small margin.

The razors chipped? That kinda stinks. I do have a Merkur Futur that I love! Its quite heavy all stainless as far as I know. I don't see how it could be broken short of hammering on it. It is adjustable which is nice but it is a pretty aggressive razor too, you have to mind your P's & Q's when using that puppy, even when just adjusting it or changing a blade. I slipped once and took a nice filet off the tip of my thumb as it is a pretty open design. I like to think of it as using a shavette with a DE handle. It makes for the best shave I can get! I really like the white tub Proraso, for sensitive skin, smells great, shaves great and my skin is happy. My hair combo with real sensitive skin & Eczema on my face makes for a tricky situation with shaving.

smokeywolf
11-01-2015, 05:11 AM
Just about all the double edge razors made today that retail for under $100.00 are plated pot metal. Sometimes the handle is stainless, but heads are "zinc alloy" aka pot metal.

If you're not looking for an adjustable and you want a true stainless double edge, there's an outfit called "Above the Tie" that makes several different all stainless double edge razors. Better be holdin' on to your back hair when you see the price of precision machined stainless as opposed to plated pot metal.

ohiomadman
11-01-2015, 09:45 AM
What`s this shaving you speak of?

Elkins45
11-01-2015, 10:27 AM
That sir I'd debate able to say the lest.

You would be wrong.

And Hitler had a mustache!

So did my Grandmother but she didn't kill six million people.

MT Gianni
11-01-2015, 11:07 AM
Who looks down on someone w/ a beard? Maybe older people that haven't realized the old stereotypes are dead. It's about 50/50 in the construction trade. In the winter the ratio goes higher as a lot of people grow a beard for the winter. It really does help keep your face warmer when working out in the elements.

I'm w/ you and would never work for a company that told me I have to shave. UPS is one company that has this type of policy. I could not care less if a UPS driver had a beard or not. And most people under 50 probably feel the same way. A beard is extremely benign when compared to tattoos and body piercings. I can understand policies about them more. Even then if it's not a safety thing I don't like them.
OSHA has determined that if you have to wear a chemical mask or rescue SCBA tank you must be clean shaven. No employer I am aware of allows an employee the luxury of having a razor close at hand to buzz off a beard. If you work with chemicals and or the pipes that carry them you must be aware of and able to perform a rescue in case of an accident. This comes with a smoke irritant fit test annually and at random times during the year. If you like your job, when the gov adds regulation, you decide to keep it and comply.

jcwit
11-01-2015, 01:13 PM
You would be wrong.

Prove it!

southpaw
11-01-2015, 01:36 PM
Prove it!
https://www.whitehouse.gov/photos-and-video/photogallery/official-portraits-us-presidents

Yup, you are wrong.

Jerry Jr.

dragon813gt
11-01-2015, 04:21 PM
OSHA has determined that if you have to wear a chemical mask or rescue SCBA tank you must be clean shaven. No employer I am aware of allows an employee the luxury of having a razor close at hand to buzz off a beard. If you work with chemicals and or the pipes that carry them you must be aware of and able to perform a rescue in case of an accident. This comes with a smoke irritant fit test annually and at random times during the year. If you like your job, when the gov adds regulation, you decide to keep it and comply.

I'm aware. I don't pass a fit test. Which I'm perfectly fine w/, so is my employer. It means I don't have to work in areas/sites where respirators are required. I won't lie. It's one of the reasons I keep my beard. I have no desire to work in hazardous areas like that.

jcwit
11-01-2015, 05:05 PM
https://www.whitehouse.gov/photos-and-video/photogallery/official-portraits-us-presidents

Yup, you are wrong.

Jerry Jr.

What I was bringing up was with the current administration the office may not have a lot of merit, lets hope that changes in 15 months and I am wrong.

MT Gianni
11-01-2015, 08:11 PM
I'm aware. I don't pass a fit test. Which I'm perfectly fine w/, so is my employer. It means I don't have to work in areas/sites where respirators are required. I won't lie. It's one of the reasons I keep my beard. I have no desire to work in hazardous areas like that.
You are luck, it was made a condition of employment here.

dragon813gt
11-01-2015, 08:58 PM
It was at a previous employer for me. But guys intentionally kept beards there as well. Plenty of clean shaven guys to go to the plants that required respirators. Being a contractor has some benefits and that's one of them. Thankfully the equipment I work on now is on the roof or out of production areas where the only PPE that's required is steel toes, hard hat and safety glasses. I gladly wear FR clothing and not have to worry about a respirator.

southpaw
11-01-2015, 10:07 PM
Where I work they have things called a papr (powered air purifying respirator). To be on the haz mat team or the rescue team you need to be able to use a respirator but there is no requirement to be on them. For regular operations those of us that like to have a beard can use a papr when we are around the not so friendly stuff.

Jerry Jr.

Elkins45
11-01-2015, 11:08 PM
What I was bringing up was with the current administration the office may not have a lot of merit, lets hope that changes in 15 months and I am wrong.

I realize that. My point is that there is a difference between the office and the officeholder. "Respect the rank, not the man" as it were.

jcwit
11-01-2015, 11:16 PM
I realize that. My point is that there is a difference between the office and the officeholder. "Respect the rank, not the man" as it were.

Respect the Office, not the man holding the position in office.

I phrased it wrong.

Three44s
11-02-2015, 12:31 AM
I use a Dutch three headed brush hog!

Too bumpy for blades!

Someone speculated on how much time is spent shaving .........

............ well, for me ...... when it gets about so long .........

.......... I waste more time itchin' ...... so shaving even now and then to keep the "itchies" away is worth it.

I farm and ranch ......... so my dress code is my own ....... and the cows don't gripe so long as they get their daily "three squares".

Been entertaining!

Best regards

Three 44s

NavyVet1959
11-02-2015, 01:02 AM
You can get away without a perfect seal on a mask if it is of a positive pressure airflow type. Your air doesn't tend to last as long though.

NavyVet1959
11-03-2015, 05:08 AM

We do not have a "current administration". We have a bunch of illegal squatters that need to be evicted with whatever force is necessary. To be a "natural born citizen", BOTH of your parents must be a US citizen. A Kenyan + a skank-hoe US citizen does not beget a "natural born citizen".

OK, technically, even if his mother had not been a skank-hoe, he would still not have been a "natural born citizen", but then again, he also would not have even been conceived. :)

jcwit
11-03-2015, 11:43 AM
We do not have a "current administration". We have a bunch of illegal squatters that need to be evicted with whatever force is necessary. To be a "natural born citizen", BOTH of your parents must be a US citizen. A Kenyan + a skank-hoe US citizen does not beget a "natural born citizen".

OK, technically, even if his mother had not been a skank-hoe, he would still not have been a "natural born citizen", but then again, he also would not have even been conceived. :)

I know, I know, I agree, I just put it nicely.

Maximumbob54
11-03-2015, 11:54 AM
I just tried boiling water on the stove and pouring it into a large metal bowl. I did let it cool some (I'm not a leather face to that degree) and found the hotter water than the sink could offer to be a very nice shave. I did the hot towel on the face and it really is a nice addition to the process. Not something I will do every morning but maybe if I'm up and awake early enough.

NavyVet1959
11-03-2015, 02:48 PM
I did the hot towel on the face and it really is a nice addition to the process. Not something I will do every morning but maybe if I'm up and awake early enough.

A quick way to get a hot wet towel for your face (or for cleaning up other things) is to put the wet the towel with hot tap water and then put it in the microwave for a short time. Experiment a bit and you'll find the perfect balance between softening your beard and scalding your face off. :)

jcwit
11-03-2015, 04:52 PM
Thanks, never thought of that.

TXGunNut
11-04-2015, 01:00 AM
I suspect folks who don't like beards simply can't grow a nice full one like I can. Really ticks me off to shave every morning just because someone can't deal with what comes naturally for some folks.

JesterGrin_1
11-04-2015, 03:38 AM
Well maybe some of y'all can help me out with this. As many have mentioned these fancy multi blade razors are simply ridiculous in price so I pulled out my Grandfathers Gillette double edged razor. It only says made in England and is in a plastic red case bottom and a clear top that flips up and is none adjustable as far as I can tell with a short handle about 2 1/2" long. And even found some King Double edged razor blades with it that are carbon steel I believe and I am using a bowl and horse hair brush but the thing is tearing me up like I am using a mad badger to shave with lol.

So some input would be great if it the fault of the razor or the type of blade I am using?

Thank You.

jcwit
11-04-2015, 07:24 AM
Check out E Bay for new blades.

jcwit
11-04-2015, 07:28 AM
I suspect folks who don't like beards simply can't grow a nice full one like I can. Really ticks me off to shave every morning just because someone can't deal with what comes naturally for some folks.

Nope, that's not it at all, just spent most of my working life in management & wearing a suit. To this day I still shave and dress up, no sense looking like a slob. IMO

smokeywolf
11-04-2015, 10:57 AM
I have to shave. My whiskers are like barbed wire and grow out a little ways (almost flat to my skin) then try and make a U-turn back into my skin. If I go more than 4 or 5 days without a shave my skin becomes red , scaly and itchy.

About the hot towel; I like it and it feels great, but it also causes broken blood vessels (on me) and as I shave in the shower doesn't offer that much of an improvement in my shave.

C.F.Plinker
11-04-2015, 11:26 AM
Well maybe some of y'all can help me out with this. As many have mentioned these fancy multi blade razors are simply ridiculous in price so I pulled out my Grandfathers Gillette double edged razor. It only says made in England and is in a plastic red case bottom and a clear top that flips up and is none adjustable as far as I can tell with a short handle about 2 1/2" long. And even found some King Double edged razor blades with it that are carbon steel I believe and I am using a bowl and horse hair brush but the thing is tearing me up like I am using a mad badger to shave with lol.

So some input would be great if it the fault of the razor or the type of blade I am using?

Thank You.

It sounds like your blades could be old. Consider getting a sampler pack from someone like West Coast Shaving or Bullgoose. This will let you find out which blades work for you and your razor.

For those of you that are used to cartridge razors and are trying out double edge razors there are some differences that may not be readily apparent. The first is that the corners of the cartridge blades are covered whereas the corners of the double edged blade are exposed. No matter how much pressure you apply with the cartridge razor the corners of the blade will not dig into your face. If you use too much pressure with a double edge razor the corners can dig in and leave a red track showing where they have been. Use only enough pressure to get through the lather; the weight of the razor head us usually all that is needed. The second is that the head on the cartridge pivots and will follow the contours of your face regardless of the angle of the handle to your face. The head of the double edge razor is fixed. You will have to change the angle as you come down your cheek and go around the chin and then down your neck. Try keeping your wrist almost locked and change the angle using your forearm.

JesterGrin_1
11-04-2015, 03:20 PM
I have to shave. My whiskers are like barbed wire and grow out a little ways (almost flat to my skin) then try and make a U-turn back into my skin. If I go more than 4 or 5 days without a shave my skin becomes red , scaly and itchy.

With luck I did not get the same problem my Grand Father and Uncle have and that was a fast thick growing beard with ingrown hair. My Grand Fathers was so bad that my Grand Mother on every Sunday would site down and every single hair out of his face.
About the hot towel; I like it and it feels great, but it also causes broken blood vessels (on me) and as I shave in the shower doesn't offer that much of an improvement in my shave.

It sounds like your blades could be old. Consider getting a sampler pack from someone like West Coast Shaving or Bullgoose. This will let you find out which blades work for you and your razor.

For those of you that are used to cartridge razors and are trying out double edge razors there are some differences that may not be readily apparent. The first is that the corners of the cartridge blades are covered whereas the corners of the double edged blade are exposed. No matter how much pressure you apply with the cartridge razor the corners of the blade will not dig into your face. If you use too much pressure with a double edge razor the corners can dig in and leave a red track showing where they have been. Use only enough pressure to get through the lather; the weight of the razor head us usually all that is needed. The second is that the head on the cartridge pivots and will follow the contours of your face regardless of the angle of the handle to your face. The head of the double edge razor is fixed. You will have to change the angle as you come down your cheek and go around the chin and then down your neck. Try keeping your wrist almost locked and change the angle using your forearm.

Yes they are very old but are still very sharp and rust free. But I do feel you are correct that I should get a sample pack.

And yes I am brand new to the double edged shaving and he is correct that the corners if not careful in applying pressure will cut one up real good. I know as the first time I looked like a mad cat got a hold of me lol.

ol skool
11-06-2015, 01:29 AM
JesterGrin_1

Back at DE after 35 years of pointless razor evolution. Plinker hit the most important points; no pressure and angle. After a week of DE I'm still trying to work the angle on the neck, no pressure needed at all. Short strokes paying attention to just enough angle to clip the whiskers.

But right off it was more soothing shave than the multi razor shave - using fresh Wilkison's from the local department store. Seeing that edge hang out ready to attack the jugular was uh, impressive. I spent some time working up a silky - thick - creamy lather for the DE which I never did for the multi's. I think that really helped out. Of course YMMV...

The thing doesn't clog! That makes the time and effort all worth it.

pworley1
11-06-2015, 10:38 AM
I have been using a mug and brush since 1968. I have tried almost every kind of razor that has been on the market including straight. I still have not found one that keeps me from hating to shave.

smokeywolf
11-06-2015, 07:38 PM
Pworley1, If you've never tried a Gillette 195 adjustable (Fat Boy), it might be worth you're time to shop for one. They were only made for a few years from late '50s to early '60s. Adjustability is the cat's meow.

I always shave with a straight. Then, if Mrs. smokeywolf wants me to have BBS (Baby Butt Smooth) cheeks, I follow the straight with the Gillette Fat Boy or a Gillette Slim.

jcwit is familiar with these and may have something to add.

alamogunr
11-06-2015, 08:40 PM
+1 on West Coast Shaving. I find that blades and things that produce lather are personal issues. A blade that I may like might not suit you and a lather that makes me break out may be just the thing for you. I've gone thru several shaving cup soaps and really only found 2 that I would reorder. Actually, I prefer Proraso shave cream. Just bought a large tube that should last me for quite a while.

Beards are also a personal thing. I could probably grow a pretty heavy beard but it would be mostly gray. I don't grow one because I have been smooth shaven since I was about 15. I'm now 73 and I resent the flat out statement that those who don't grow beards don't like them because they can't grow a beard.